This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
valithor's profile picture

Autocomplete

Started by valithor, 27 September 2015 - 06:44 PM
valithor #1
Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:44 PM
I personally can not stand the new autocomplete in CC 1.74, so anytime I am on a 1.74 server the first thing I do is write a 10 line or so startup to disable it. However, I feel that since I am not the only one that feels this way there should be functions added to something like a special "autocomplete" api, which make it easier to enable or disable it.

ex: http://pastebin.com/ADFWZ8nw

That is the script I am currently running to disable the autocomplete. As of now it is really just more of a hassle of transferring this script to all of my computers before I even dare do anything on them, and it could be made an api with only minor changes.
Edited on 27 September 2015 - 06:45 PM
Luca_S #2
Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:46 PM
This is a really nice idea it would make things a LOT easier. ;)/>
gollark8 #3
Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:29 PM
Can you not just get used to autocompletion? Apart from do turning to dofile, it works nicely.
valithor #4
Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:10 AM
Can you not just get used to autocompletion? Apart from do turning to dofile, it works nicely.

I have been using ComputerCraft for 2 years now. As of now if I want to make something I know exactly what I am going to type well before I actually start typing it. So seeing suggestions is often distracting. It serves no purpose other than to help people learn, but since I have a good amount of experience using CC, it is just distracting. So no… I can not just get used to it.

Lua is not complicated enough for autocomplete to help other than to assist people in first learning it. Either way it is not like I am asking them to disable it. I am asking them to make a 20 line api to make it to where it is one line to disable it instead of me having to write 20 lines.
Edited on 27 September 2015 - 10:13 PM
Bomb Bloke #5
Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:56 AM
It serves no purpose other than to help people learn, but since I have a good amount of experience using CC, it is just distracting.

Well, that, and it allows you to get the same results with fewer keypresses. ;)/>

Anyway, beats me as to whether Dan'll add this, but for what it's worth you only need to paste this one line to your startup files:

if not fs.exists("autotoggle") then shell.run("pastebin get ADFWZ8nw autotoggle") end shell.run(shell.resolve("autotoggle"))
valithor #6
Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:00 AM
It serves no purpose other than to help people learn, but since I have a good amount of experience using CC, it is just distracting.

Well, that, and it allows you to get the same results with fewer keypresses. ;)/>

Anyway, beats me as to whether Dan'll add this, but for what it's worth you only need to paste this one line to your startup files:

if not fs.exists("autotoggle") then shell.run("pastebin get ADFWZ8nw autotoggle") end shell.run(shell.resolve("autotoggle"))

True but then I have to keep up with the paste :P/>
Konlab #7
Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:03 PM
I think shell autocompletion is good. It helps with filenames. But autocompletion in the built in editor is horrible. I hate it.
Imred Gemu #8
Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:54 AM
I personally don't mind it so much since I use NPP for coding. The autocomplete there just helps me remember what I named my own functions. I can still see where you're coming from though. Don't remove it, but add an easy way to disable it. An API, a simple shell command that runs that API, and maybe even a config option that disables it for all computers on a server.