This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
lifewcody's profile picture

Internet in Minecraft + Max modem messages received limit

Started by lifewcody, 01 October 2015 - 03:33 AM
lifewcody #1
Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:33 AM
Ever since modems have come out I have been in search of an "internet" for CC. I found a couple. but they either were:
  1. Centralized (There was 1 server that handled every request)
  2. Was a server and a client, no switches, router, etc
Well that blows, I know. I decided to make my own "internet" I ended up remaking it about 6 or 7 times from scratch now.

I was just wondering if anyone else had the same vision that I have. A world where people could open up a website or an online business, bank, shop, store, etc.

I have IPv1 out already (It works) and I'm designing IPv2 (Hopefully the last release) and this will include RFC's so someone can make some router code and if it follows the RFC's it will work properly.

Also I heard that ComputerCraft can only handle 20 modem message's per second… but I would like to argue with that with this picture:

The numbers represent: 1minute, 5minutes, 15minutes.

As you can see at least 37,704 messages in a minute. That comes to ~628 messages per second.

Anyways what do you guys thinks of the whole "Internet" thing and have you tried InZernet yet? If not I recommend it :P/>
Lyqyd #2
Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:45 AM
There are more than a couple networking APIs out there.
Bomb Bloke #3
Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:33 AM
Also I heard that ComputerCraft can only handle 20 modem message's per second… but I would like to argue with that with this picture:

The numbers represent: 1minute, 5minutes, 15minutes.

As you can see at least 37,704 messages in a minute. That comes to ~628 messages per second.

"timer" events generated by os.startTimer() can only fire on a server tick, meaning that if you're generating them one after the other then 20/s is the maximum you can achieve.

For whatever reason some people have (had) the belief that all other event types have the same limitation, or that this has anything to do with the rate at which you can pull events. Obviously you can do so as fast as your server hardware allows - the more computers running in your world the slower it'll go, though.
gollark8 #4
Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:08 PM
I created a sort-of-Internet thing with a few other people. There are no IPs or anything, just server computers that serve code plus rednet.lookup.
TYKUHN2 #5
Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:23 PM
I am making a networking api similar to the internet for my OS. Though I don't suspect I will release it anytime soon.
luaCoder #6
Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:32 PM
I could help if you want?
TYKUHN2 #7
Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:50 PM
What I want is a server with an ISP becuase #ISPs