This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Gumball's profile picture

Advanced Disk Drives

Started by Gumball, 31 October 2015 - 09:20 AM
Gumball #1
Posted 31 October 2015 - 10:20 AM
So, its a disk drive, but golden, 'cuz its advanced, and the difference is, there are 9 slots for disks, and a little switch. The switch is for, if you want the disks to act as if there was multiple disk drives, then the switch is flipped to that option. If you want RAID, (where all the storage for the disks are combined into one virtual disk) then its flipped to that option. I don't expect this to be added, just an idea I got when I thought about how disk drives are handled could have been just modified dispensers, then I thought that they only have ONE slot, then I realized you can use a network, until I thought about RAID.

Cheers! :D/>

-Blue
Edited on 31 October 2015 - 09:20 AM
Creator #2
Posted 31 October 2015 - 11:19 AM
It is possible to implement that with software. You just have to code a ramfs, when you want to save it, serialize it, split it and put it in different disks.
Gumball #3
Posted 31 October 2015 - 11:42 AM
It is possible to implement that with software. You just have to code a ramfs, when you want to save it, serialize it, split it and put it in different disks.

I am aware of that, just, *looks around* Im lazy (ples dont tell anyone* I'm kidding, I would, but what about the 9 slot feature? Dont mention disk.eject, that could be changed so its slot number. Or the disk api or event, once again, slot number.
Creator #4
Posted 31 October 2015 - 11:43 AM
You just connect them with cables! Actually, I like the idea, and I'll implement software raid, when I get some time.
Gumball #5
Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:07 PM
You just connect them with cables! Actually, I like the idea, and I'll implement software raid, when I get some time.

I already mentioned networks… But yeah, thanks for the positive likes. (As if a like CAN'T be positive.)
Silver07 #6
Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:52 AM
That Sounds Awesome, however i just use a bunch of computers, each one having 1 modem, and 5 disk drives, and a program.
Edited on 13 February 2016 - 02:55 AM
wilcomega #7
Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:46 PM
RAID in cc would definatly be cool BUT of no real use, since there is no chance of in game corruption it doesnt really have a use, but wait you say, what about physical drive corruption on the server machine / home PC? Well when it corrupts you are more likely to lose more data than just that program or that one cat picture folder. in real life you have things like raid cards to split / mirror data over multiple drives. In CC it would be a better option i think to use cloud storage like pastebin, so when you make a file it will upload it and when you open it it will download it.
HPWebcamAble #8
Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:48 PM
there is no chance of in game corruption

The idea is that you could chain drives together to get more storage, without worrying about where a file is placed specifically. It would show up as one drive.

Of course, it would be a hassle to relocate. Might as well just make an 'advanced' drive with more storage.
HDeffo #9
Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:04 PM
I want this drive purely so my disk drive matches my yellow computer, yellow floppy disk, yellow turtle, yellow monitor, and now yellow modem.
Edited on 13 February 2016 - 08:04 PM
Gumball #10
Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:03 PM
I want this drive purely so my disk drive matches my yellow computer, yellow floppy disk, yellow turtle, yellow monitor, and now yellow modem.

Get an Expansion Pak. Nah just make a custom texture pack.
dan200 #11
Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:59 AM
I swear half the posts on this subforum are just pattern matching
Lupus590 #12
Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:27 PM
I swear half the posts on this subforum are just pattern matching

Just make everything dyeable, then we won't ask for things to match as we will be able to change the colours to match.