This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Twijn's profile picture

DevOS - Developing made easy

Started by Twijn, 29 November 2015 - 12:27 AM
Twijn #1
Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:27 AM
Information

DevOS is an operating system which was created to display several APIs and other helpful tools for developers.

Might I note that this is a VERY NEW OS. There are many visual and functional bugs that I'm still working on. Thank you for your cooperation!

For more information, including API documentation, see my website.

Note: Instructions for programs are also on the website.

Want to be a part of DevOS's development?

Great! I'd love some help. What I'm looking for:

File Managers - Note that they must be able to select files and return it to a different file.

APIs - I'd love to feature your APIs as well.

An editing program - I am planning on implementing one, but I'd love to implement one of yours!

Your Ideas - If many people contribute to ideas then this may become a very great OS!

Bug Reports - In order to make this even better, your input is needed!

Credit will be given to the appropriate people. Also,I may edit some of your code to make it fit correctly with the OS UI.

Download

To download DevOS, run the following in your computer terminal:

Current Version: 1.0.1

pastebin run g2M6RyfC

This will run an installer that will download the main file & instructions to create all of the other files.

Or, view all of the code:

All GitHub Versions:

Spoiler

Snapshots

Spoiler

Edited on 06 December 2015 - 05:13 PM
Twijn #2
Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:10 PM
Your feedback is appreciated!
I have no idea where that other conversation went.
Creator #3
Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:00 PM
So this OS is about developing other stuff? Wouldn't it be easier to simply write a text editor with such functionality?
Lyqyd #4
Posted 29 November 2015 - 10:33 PM

It was non-constructive criticism of the least important part of the project, so it went where all other completely useless posts go.
Twijn #5
Posted 29 November 2015 - 11:43 PM
So this OS is about developing other stuff? Wouldn't it be easier to simply write a text editor with such functionality?

As I said, it's still strictly in development. I'm still gathering APIs and other things to make it work correctly. I'm also planning on adding other programs (like the Uploader program that is included), which wouldn't fit into a text editor exactly. Also I NEVER use any built in text editor, I always use Notepad ++. DevEDIT just exists in there for those people that don't do that. I feel as though an OS will help a larger number of people then a text editor would.

It was non-constructive criticism of the least important part of the project, so it went where all other completely useless posts go.

Ah. :)/>
クデル #6
Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:59 PM
Not hate towards you specifically, but why do people feel the need to release "unfinished" programs, surely you get 100x more attention if you release a fully functional, working and stable program?
Blue #7
Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:56 PM
Not hate towards you specifically, but why do people feel the need to release "unfinished" programs, surely you get 100x more attention if you release a fully functional, working and stable program?
That's the whole point of BETA-testing: You release the program early and you get bug reports,then you fix those bugs and advertise it as a stable OS. It's a lot easier to do that than spending hours trying to find bugs (also if somebody complains about your program you can use the "BETA" excuse ;)/> )
Edited on 30 November 2015 - 12:56 PM
apemanzilla #8
Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:03 PM

Actually, unfinished programs tend to get more attention - not necessarily positive, however. People only seem to reply if A) they've found something that should be changed, B) something isn't working, or C) the program is really, really good. Quite a lot of programs get only two or three posts and then slowly get buried.
Edited on 30 November 2015 - 01:03 PM
LDDestroier #9
Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:09 PM

Actually, unfinished programs tend to get more attention - not necessarily positive, however. People only seem to reply if A) they've found something that should be changed, B)/> something isn't working, or C) the program is really, really good. Quite a lot of programs get only two or three posts and then slowly get buried.

When I released my minimap program, it was unusable. But now that it's in a very usable state, it still gets barely any replies, if any.
apemanzilla #10
Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:13 PM

Actually, unfinished programs tend to get more attention - not necessarily positive, however. People only seem to reply if A) they've found something that should be changed, B)/> something isn't working, or C) the program is really, really good. Quite a lot of programs get only two or three posts and then slowly get buried.

When I released my minimap program, it was unusable. But now that it's in a very usable state, it still gets barely any replies, if any.
Exactly my point - people don't have anything to suggest and don't have any new bugs to report, so they don't post. And unless it's OneOS level of good you don't get many replies thanking you for it.
Andrew2060 #11
Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:24 PM

Maybe because they want to show off what they currently made, in hopes of motivation to continue?
Creator #12
Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:19 PM
Well, it is really discouraging, especially if your biggest project gets zero attention.
Twijn #13
Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:34 PM
I don't think anyone wants to spend seriously weeks on a program then when they release it polished with no bugs they find out no one is interested in the concept. This is basically a CONCEPT. If you post a polished program then the only responses you will really get is "this is a good program."

Possibly they should create another tab on Programs that is ONLY for finished programs.

Also, replying to Creators post, why do you think Windows updates their software, for example Windows 8 to Windows 10. It keeps their operating system relevant. If you just create something and leave it to die then that's what it will do: die.

iOS does similar things, for example iOS 6 & iOS 7.

Now, how about back to the topic?

I've realized 4 people have filled in the poll! Please post below what specifically you want improved!
Edited on 30 November 2015 - 04:45 PM
クデル #14
Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:04 PM
Interesting to have my eyes opened, thanks. :P/>/> :)/>/>

Edit: really tempted to release my unfinished programs now… damn it.
Edited on 30 November 2015 - 08:29 PM
Creator #15
Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:12 PM
Interesting to have my eyes opened, thanks. :P/> :)/>

Well, everyone has a different opinion, and when we post we may learn from otters. (others)
Andrew2060 #16
Posted 02 December 2015 - 05:13 PM

Well, everyone has a different opinion, and when we post we may learn from otters. (others)

Ahem. How's the AI working out for you, probably thinks the same way :P/>
Creator #17
Posted 02 December 2015 - 05:24 PM

Ahem. How's the AI working out for you, probably thinks the same way :P/>

Well, there was a hype about it, but now nobody seems to care.
FUNCTION MAN! #18
Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:16 PM

Literally every project, ever.
Creator #19
Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:34 PM

It's sad but true.
Twijn #20
Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:15 PM

It's sad but true.

I'd be interested in it, however I don't know where it is. (time zones make it hard to communicate. :(/> )

Back on topic:

I'm working on a new update. This will likely feature:

A Settings tab
Improved APIs (behind the scenes)
Support for your APIs
Settings for your APIs

It is unfortunately taking a while because trying to keep the logic organized for the settings is quite hard, especially when you're supporting additional APIs.

See my progress:
https://github.com/Twijn/DevOS
Twijn #21
Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:11 PM

It's sad but true.

I'd be interested in it, however I don't know where it is. (time zones make it hard to communicate. :(/> )

Back on topic:

I'm working on a new update. This will likely feature:

A Settings tab
Improved APIs (behind the scenes)
Support for your APIs
Settings for your APIs

It is unfortunately taking a while because trying to keep the logic organized for the settings is quite hard, especially when you're supporting additional APIs.

See my progress:
https://github.com/Twijn/DevOS

New Update
(1.0.1)
In This Update
- Settings Program (animations are toggle-able)
- Third Party API Support: simply put it in the DevOS/SystemFiles/APIs directory
- Many behind-the-scenes fixes
- New "Settings" API - does not yet allow for your programs to access it
- Uploader/Installer Fixes

The website will be update soon.
The Code
To install:
In your computer, paste "pastebin run g2M6RyfC"
ThyMason122 #22
Posted 22 December 2015 - 07:20 AM
Seems great, good luck!
Twijn #23
Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:20 AM
Inactivity Update:

I have been inactive due to some technical problems on my computer. Unfortunately, I was forced to refresh my PC and am failing to gain access to some essential files to this operating system. Fortunately, however, I have been keeping GitHub somewhat updated so I may be able to get back to working on this soon.