This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
DannySMc's profile picture

ComputerCraft Update

Started by DannySMc, 14 December 2015 - 10:03 AM
DannySMc #1
Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:03 AM
Hello,

I don't want to be that guy, but I want to put my point across, I have seen dan200 is working on the new version of CC, which is amazing!! And from the pre versions it looks awesome.

My only concern is only minecraft 1.8

And running a server is great but i and players prefer more than just one mod to use, like peripherals etc, the problem is barely any of the good mods are ported to minecraft 1.8,

So my question is, will dan200 make a 1.7.10 version? Because otherwise that sucks…

Because I want to use the new CC version, but I don't want to lose all the extra mods and peripherals we have… So dan200 if you read this, please make a 1.7.10 version as well, otherwise it won't be that great?

I shall add more explanation, for server owners (Some anyway), we add more than just CC for players to use all of them so you have more to do on the server, but the problem is some of these mods are not available for MC 1.8, so if the update is 1.8 only, then server owners will have to decide to lose all the good mods and just stick with the new version of CC and a couple of mods that have been ported, or stay on 1.7.10 with an old version of CC until the majority of mods have been ported over…? Because it's the difference between 40 mods and 8? if you see what I mean? I am just hoping he releases a 1.7.10 version as well?
Thanks,
~ Danny
Edited on 14 December 2015 - 11:42 AM
Bomb Bloke #2
Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:36 AM
Just throwing it out there, but it strikes me that the reason the active peripheral mods haven't updated yet would likely have something to do with the lack of a ComputerCraft build for 1.8. Once that arrives, their authors will have rather more encouragement to do their own ports: especially if the new build is for MC 1.8 only.
DannySMc #3
Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:12 PM
Just throwing it out there, but it strikes me that the reason the active peripheral mods haven't updated yet would likely have something to do with the lack of a ComputerCraft build for 1.8. Once that arrives, their authors will have rather more encouragement to do their own ports: especially if the new build is for MC 1.8 only.

Maybe, but there are many more mods, that may or may not be CC peripherals, that can't be used on a server, which means any server running the new version of CC will have no other mods… because the mods are not yet ported, AE2, TinkersC, Thermal Expansion, all these other mods are not yet ready for 1.8, which means it would only have CC… Which makes the servers "Not as fun"?
LDDestroier #4
Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:24 PM

That's a very good point.
DannySMc #5
Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:29 PM
I don't think you understand.. >.<

There are loads of mods, when running a server, no "good" mods are available yet, so it is either move to 1.8 with no decent mods but just the new version of CC, or stay on 1.7.10 with loads of other mods and just have an older version…?

Which is why I ask, I hope he makes a 1.7.10 version because otherwise server owners have to decide…? and I will most likely stay with 1.7.10 because there are more mods than just CC…

Not JUST peripheral mods.
Edited on 14 December 2015 - 11:30 AM
Wojbie #6
Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:56 PM
World always moves forward. Ever before forge was made mods were made, redone, updated and depreciated/abandoned.
And it was always about making modpack that fits the players not about the version.

If you want all the mods that don't have 1.8 version?
You stay at ComputerCraft 1.75 and version 1.7.10.
And wait for more mods to update past the 1.7 barrier.
IT will happen sooner or later. Some mods will be lost/abandoned.
That happens. Sooner or later someone else wants stuff that said mods had and makes a new mod with that stuff.
Like look at redpower. Orr all the barrel mods.

IF you run server that just vanilla and computer-craft?
Then you jump to 1.8 now and welcome with happy hands all the new mods as they get ported/remade/created for 1.8.
After all Rome was not made in one day.

I think of it that way. Forge for 1.8 opened the doors for porting. And now more mods gets ported for 1.8 more people will mod their mods too.
Its the unstoppable avalanche of change!
Bomb Bloke #7
Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:26 PM
Don't get me wrong, having the new build of CC for both 1.7.10 and 1.8 would be great. The more the merrier. I wouldn't mind a 1.6.4 build too, while we're at it; there are still mods that never progressed past that one that I'd like to go back and play with some more.

But you don't look a gift horse in the mouth, you know? The 1.8 build is a good thing in its own right. That's all that really needs to be said about that.

To answer your question more directly, Dan referred to 1.75 as "one final update for Minecraft 1.7.10". I wouldn't expect to see another.
DannySMc #8
Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:27 PM
Don't get me wrong, having the new build of CC for both 1.7.10 and 1.8 would be great. The more the merrier. I wouldn't mind a 1.6.4 build too, while we're at it; there are still mods that never progressed past that one that I'd like to go back and play with some more.

But you don't look a gift horse in the mouth, you know? The 1.8 build is a good thing in its own right. That's all that really needs to be said about that.

To answer your question more directly, Dan referred to 1.75 as "one final update for Minecraft 1.7.10". I wouldn't expect to see another.

Yeah I assumed that, shame he would just give up with 1.7.10, just because it is still widely used.. and converting to 1.8 is a lot more work with waiting for stable versions of mods to come out etc.
SquidDev #9
Posted 14 December 2015 - 04:22 PM
I develop a small mod and I'm dreading trying to keep both the 1.7.10 and 1.8 versions in sync. For a more complex mod such as ComputerCraft it is even harder to keep updating two versions instead of 1.

1.8.8 isn't far away, and there are an increasing number of mods beginning to update to it - Thaumcraft 5 came out recently, asei is working on Charset - which looks like a Buildcraft-esq mod, RWTema is porting ExtraUtilities, KingLemming was discussing changes to the RF API for 1.8. What you are seeing is several people who were vehemently opposed to 1.8 and the changes it brought beginning to use 1.8.8 (which has fixed many of those issues). I think in the next couple of months mods will begin to update.
dan200 #10
Posted 14 December 2015 - 04:40 PM
I'm curious. What are the features in the 1.8 port that you can't live without? The 1.8 update is mostly a straight port, ie: the 1.7.10 version you already have has almost all the same features, and isn't going anywhere.
SquidDev #11
Posted 14 December 2015 - 04:48 PM
I'm curious. What are the features in the 1.8 port that you can't live without? The 1.8 update is mostly a straight port, ie: the 1.7.10 version you already have has almost all the same features, and isn't going anywhere.

At a guess extended character support - I'd be happy to add that to CCTweaks if you have no plans on backporting it.
DannySMc #12
Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:31 PM

Well I have seen loads of posts about the 1.76 having new pixels etc etc, and I don't know I assume this will be only updated on 1.8, which kinda sucks, because I run a server and having to move to 1.8 will lose all the good mods we have, so part of me was hoping you'd keep it updated, if not do not worry,

At a guess extended character support - I'd be happy to add that to CCTweaks if you have no plans on backporting it.

If dan200, does not backport it, would you? That would be amazing!
Edited on 14 December 2015 - 05:31 PM