This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
MineRobber___T's profile picture

MineRobberOS

Started by MineRobber___T, 27 December 2015 - 04:26 AM
MineRobber___T #1
Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:26 AM
MineRobberOS 1.0

This is my new Operating System! (a.k.a CraftOS Debian rehaul)

Features
Spoiler-Not much as of 1.0, very basic, will add more features later

How to get it:
Not sure why you'd want it in it's current state, (It's basically just a wrapper on the shell right now) but here:

pastebin get ydBqP0KL

To keep up with stuff, follow the twitter here, and code is here (on GitHub). Development blog is here.
Edited on 27 December 2015 - 04:29 AM
Pyuu #2
Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:35 AM
Not sure this even classifies as an "OS" let alone a "Shell wrapper" at this point. And V1.0?
  1. Semi-colons aren't used in Lua, ever. They're redundant. (unless someone can show me a valid use)
  2. You modified term.clear to do term.setCursorPos(1,1)? I know functions are meant to shorten things a bit, but I think that's going pretty far.
  3. Slapping "MineRobberOS" into a print function and doing shell.run doesn't make an OS. Please, try a bit before releasing something.
  4. http://www.computerc...page__p__238762 What are you doing double-posting this?
  5. What feature does this "OS" have that CraftOS doesn't already? This provides no custom GUI or anything.

In all seriousness, I'm genuinely upset at this post.
Edited on 27 December 2015 - 04:35 AM
FUNCTION MAN! #3
Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:59 PM
Separating multiple statements on a single line? :P/>
Creator #4
Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:29 PM
I do not enjoy enjoy discouraging newcomers from their project, but my advice is to start with something more simple, and then something more complicated like and OS. Writing a good OS is not very easy and might be difficult, so start with more basic stuff.
MineRobber___T #5
Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:07 PM
Not sure this even classifies as an "OS" let alone a "Shell wrapper" at this point. And V1.0?
  1. Semi-colons aren't used in Lua, ever. They're redundant. (unless someone can show me a valid use)
  2. You modified term.clear to do term.setCursorPos(1,1)? I know functions are meant to shorten things a bit, but I think that's going pretty far.
  3. Slapping "MineRobberOS" into a print function and doing shell.run doesn't make an OS. Please, try a bit before releasing something.
  4. http://www.computerc...page__p__238762 What are you doing double-posting this?
  5. What feature does this "OS" have that CraftOS doesn't already? This provides no custom GUI or anything.

In all seriousness, I'm genuinely upset at this post.
Did you see the linked post? That was a horrible Operating System that I made, and I'm working on more functions.

I do not enjoy enjoy discouraging newcomers from their project, but my advice is to start with something more simple, and then something more complicated like and OS. Writing a good OS is not very easy and might be difficult, so start with more basic stuff.

Thank you for being kind. I am working on more functions for this than a shell wrapper. I simply made this post to differentiate this project from my old one (that one was a mess). I also am working on more basic stuff as well, just thought I'd get my foot in the door.