This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Robotonic's profile picture

Space Fighters in CC - Including Lasers

Started by Robotonic, 27 December 2015 - 11:56 PM
Robotonic #1
Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:56 AM
Space Fighters

(in Space)

Screenshot

Damage to armour from laser shots

Hello there, probably never heard of me before since I'm not on the forums much, but I'm here now with a game I'm currently making. Now, I'm pretty sure this game's somewhat inefficient but it's been a very build something then build on that type of thing, just not really stopping. Also flashes a tad at times, should probably deal with that soon.

This game has no actual name but I've aptly put the title as 'Space Fighters' since that's pretty much what it's meant to be, fighters in space. The hope is that you'll go up against a basic form of AI that is attempting to vanquish you in your little fighter-craft, and you'll have to fend it off and destroy it.

Currently have projectile collisions, basic non-Newtonian physics, and pre-set ships. It however has no collision feedback between ships, and no AI yet. With the AI the hopes are that having it turn until it's toward the player then shooting will be a good starting point.

Also - the video in the spoiler below is action-packed and also has a weird revolving ship most definitely not related to the AI's sense of direction being debugged, nope.

Last thing of note: Just went to check how many lines it had, turns out it's actually a whopping 778. About 1/8 of that's taken up by comments, though. I like my comments probably a bit too much.
Edited on 28 December 2015 - 01:58 PM
TheOddByte #2
Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:07 AM
Looks really cool, but it seems that you'd probably want to get a screen buffer, as it seems to flicker a lot as you said.
And I'd suggest to add some stars in the background aswell, makes it much nicer and it won't feel as empty as it currently does.

Anyway, you've done great job on this!
Lupus590 #3
Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:19 PM
if you change the protocol on your video link to http then the forum will embed it for you.

Otherwise, looks cool!
Bomb Bloke #4
Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:31 PM
Really needs sound; I'd be sticking a noteblock on the side, configured to play a high-pitched piano key, and hit it with a redstone pulse every time the ship fires.
Robotonic #5
Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:04 PM
Thanks to Lupus the video's now embedded. News is:
  • Engines have smoke and fire effects when damaged and destroyed
  • Lasers impacting components causes a flash of fire for about half a second
  • Basic menu screen implemented with play, options and quit as possible selections.
  • Components have normal, damaged and destroyed tiles, foreground and background colours.
  • A.I. is open in Notepad++ right now, debugging. Gotten as far as tracking but has issues stopping tracking once the target's inside a 10 degree wide cone.
  • Noteblock at high-pitch over cobblestone works well for noise.
Other than that not much except when a gun fires, it lights up the screen for 1/10th of a second. That's toggle-able. I haven't done anything regarding a buffer yet, and it'll probably be a challenge to me since I've never made a buffer / recording program before. Gonna have to learn that.

Personally I think it's going pretty well over-all, albeit exponentially buggier as times goes on. Last thing is that it's reached 1233 lines, although plenty of that is formatting + comments. Actual last thing: it's only noticeably flashy when recording it.
Edited on 29 December 2015 - 08:15 PM
Konlab #6
Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:45 PM
Thanks to Lupus the video's now embedded. News is:
  • Engines have smoke and fire effects when damaged and destroyed
  • Lasers impacting components causes a flash of fire for about half a second
  • Basic menu screen implemented with play, options and quit as possible selections.
  • Components have normal, damaged and destroyed tiles, foreground and background colours.
  • A.I. is open in Notepad++ right now, debugging. Gotten as far as tracking but has issues stopping tracking once the target's inside a 10 degree wide cone.
  • Noteblock at high-pitch over cobblestone works well for noise.
Other than that not much except when a gun fires, it lights up the screen for 1/10th of a second. That's toggle-able. I haven't done anything regarding a buffer yet, and it'll probably be a challenge to me since I've never made a buffer / recording program before. Gonna have to learn that.

Personally I think it's going pretty well over-all, albeit exponentially buggier as times goes on. Last thing is that it's reached 1233 lines, although plenty of that is formatting + comments. Actual last thing: it's only noticeably flashy when recording it.
I didn't read the whole post but getting buggier over time is a symptom of writing imperative when it should be OO (or not enough debugging :P/>).