This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
luminaryfive's profile picture

Menu System

Started by luminaryfive, 21 January 2016 - 06:21 AM
luminaryfive #1
Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:21 AM
I'm a complete noob when it comes to computercraft. I know how to edit programs premade to what i need but I don't know how to make it from scratch.

What I need is a Menu system using the advanced computers where I can turn a redstone signal on and off from diferent sides of the computer or using a insulated redstone conduit from ender io to trun machines on and off. I would also like to have it so when I have a menu option on to be green and off to be red. I am currently using a 3 * 4 Advanced monitor for the screen and would like to have the menu options centered on it. This whole system would be a waste if it wasn't clickable on screen so I would also like that to be a feature.

If some one could make this for me or if tthey know of one and post a link to it that would be very helpful.
Thank luminaryfive
Mr_Programmer #2
Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:34 PM
If you want to get into coding for your self (from scratch) then i would watch some youtube tuts or check out the tut section on the forums.
Instead of asking someone else to do it, you learn to do it, then if you ever need another program making, youll have a basic knowledge on how to start it off, youll only get better with time, there are loads of tuts on youtube on how to make a GUI and also how to implement the touch screen feature to your programs, not to mention, redstone is easy to do once you have the click events out of the way etc.

The best way i think to learn is to watch tuts and copy the code, once you done that, write it again but put your own twist on it from the knowledge you learnt from the tut.
wilcomega #3
Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:10 PM
Like Mr_Programming said,

Its alot of fun to learn to program and teaches you a problem solving mindset, for the part of asking to make a program, usually we dont write programs for people on the forums here (some do), but there are alot of good tutorials on the on the forums and youtube, there are also alot of good API's that might be able to help you out.
Dog #4
Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:46 PM
Here are a couple tutorials to get you started (you'll also want to read any prerequisite tutorials suggested):

Redstone Tutorial by Engineer
Redstone Basics by surferpup

Shameless plug: While the following scripts don't meet your needs exactly, they may suit your need with some changes to your setup. Both of these require a computer to be attached to each and every machine you want to control.

WiRe
cc10
luminaryfive #5
Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:38 PM
Two things one I know coding is fun as I know how to and code in both c++ and java I just dont understand or want to learn all of the aspects of computercraft/lua
two is that i was hoping some one could explain to me more on how this would be done as most of the programs that i have found are poorly documented.