This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
LewisTehMinerz's profile picture

ComputerCraft Rewards Program

Started by LewisTehMinerz, 31 January 2016 - 03:19 PM
LewisTehMinerz #1
Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:19 PM
Hi there. I am the CEO of the ComputerCraft Rewards Program. What we do is we give out rewards to fellow ComputerCrafters like you. I am here to find team members who are willing to help me with this goal.

Team Members:
SpoilerLewisTehMinerz - CEO

Current Reward Winners:
Spoiler3d6 - Programmer of the year 2016

As posted here, there should be a survey for nominated applications. From now on, I will post up a StrawPoll for the community to decide who wins certain rewards. I have put up a poll here so you can vote for applications and then the top 3 will be nominated.

Thank you

-LewisTehMinerz
Edited on 01 February 2016 - 05:45 PM
Agent Silence #2
Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:12 PM
I wonder how someone can earn Programmer of the Year on the first month of the year.
XP
Engineer #3
Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:45 PM
I wonder how someone can earn Programmer of the Year on the first month of the year.
XP
Simple, he probably is a friend of the 'CEO'
3d6 #4
Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:56 PM
XP
Simple, he probably is a friend of the 'CEO'
I don't know him. I just spontaneously got a message from him with a certificate attached.
I'll put it where it belongs though!
DannySMc #5
Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:01 PM
Hi there. I am the CEO of the ComputerCraft Rewards Program. What we do is we give out rewards to fellow ComputerCrafters like you. I am here to find team members who are willing to help me with this goal.

Team Members:

Current Reward Winners:

Thank you

-LewisTehMinerz

I would need to see how you think someone achieves certain rewards, what is the criteria, because I cant see this working…

Because I would say you would need to choose from a list of nominated programs, and then you should get a survey… Then maybe it would be fair, but it's not about just 1 persons opinion but many…

Nice idea though…
Edited on 31 January 2016 - 05:02 PM
3d6 #6
Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:06 PM

Team Members:

Current Reward Winners:

Thank you

-LewisTehMinerz

I would need to see how you think someone achieves certain rewards, what is the criteria, because I cant see this working…

Because I would say you would need to choose from a list of nominated programs, and then you should get a survey… Then maybe it would be fair, but it's not about just 1 persons opinion but many…

Nice idea though…

Maybe after the nominations are done there can be a community vote. And multiple categories would be nice, too.
LewisTehMinerz #7
Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:33 PM
This is the thing. If people don't help me, this will just collapse. I'm wondering why about the eleven people who hate this idea. Probably never should of put the poll up… :(/>/>

EDIT: Added a StrawPoll with ten community applications to pick from!
Edited on 01 February 2016 - 05:46 PM
SquidDev #8
Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:07 PM
I'm wondering why about the eleven people who hate this idea.

I thought I'd provide some feedback. Whilst I don't hate the idea, I'm not sure about it in its current form. Firstly though: this is meant to be constructive feedback - I'm not trying to smash the idea into the ground.

Rewards
You mention rewards, but what can the community give to people. Apart from frequent use and interest, I'm not sure what else the community can do to reward good programs:
  • Any material reward would cost money, which isn't really feasible (though these turtles are really fancy :P/>)
  • Certificates don't really mean anything
  • A tagline above the username might be possible with Lyqyd's permission (like the necromancer, mad dash winner and those early members who got +1000 posts).
Selection
Whilst you've rectified this by adding the straw poll, it isn't a good idea to announce a winner out of the blue with no consultation before hand. From a criteria point of view, I'm not sure what qualifies. Some programs are incredible from a technical point of view (Quest springs to mind), others have saved me hours but are less impressive (such as ClamShell). Some clear criteria/guidelines would be nice. I'd suggest a nomination stage (where people can submit anything) and then a voting stage (from the top 5 or something).

CEO
I wouldn't call yourself CEO. I feel the only way for this to succeed is as a community lead venture - the term CEO does not help this and makes it look like you are trying to be in a position of power.
Edited on 01 February 2016 - 08:08 PM
oeed #9
Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:42 PM
To be honest I think a better way of doing this is through the occasional small term competitions like CC Jam.
Edited on 02 February 2016 - 06:31 AM
manu_03 #10
Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:10 PM
I think that it's a good idea, and want to join the team. But, you need to, for example, sponsor some programs to get fame, so having a certificate really imports