This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
wilcomega's profile picture

SIM of sorts

Started by wilcomega, 25 February 2016 - 08:03 PM
wilcomega #1
Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:03 PM
so just throwing this out here to see what you think. a sim card can be crafted together with a pocket computer or a turtle, or put into the SIM interface peripheral for regular computers,
now you might (and should) ask, What sets this apart from wireless modems? well i respond, Sim interfaces have a massive range BUT a slow speed (limited data per second of sorts) this means you can only use this for applications that are not network intensive, like environment sensors that send back data every once in a while or turtles that only receive commands, this system works along side the normal modems, and the rednet API would be expanded to add support for SIM communications (celluar), so programs can choose between the modem or SIM.

tell me what you think!
Creator #2
Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:15 PM
Two things:

1. How would you technically limit the speed?
2. We do have Ender Modems: massive range (infinite), unlimited speed.

The only advantage would be if they are cheaper to craft.
wilcomega #3
Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:18 PM
I must have missed ender modems, but this would have 10x range of that AND it would be super cheap, just a redstone maybe?
Creator #4
Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:58 PM
Still a little more expensive than a normal modem. Something with iron maybe.
HPWebcamAble #5
Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:25 PM
I must have missed ender modems, but this would have 10x range of that AND it would be super cheap, just a redstone maybe?

Well, Ender modems have a range of over 2 billion blocks, while the maximum size for a world is 60,000,000 (30 million from 0,0 in each direction)
So it wouldn't make sense to give them 10 times the range. If it were even technically possible in Java (the ender modem's range is actually the max value for an int)

It's an interesting idea but I don't think it makes sense for ComputerCraft, which generally focuses on programming and not limitations of components.
Bomb Bloke #6
Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:35 AM
(the ender modem's range is actually the max value for an int)

Well, signed ones perhaps.

*mutters about Java's lack of unsigned datatypes*
wilcomega #7
Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:51 PM

about to say, what about a 64 bit unsigned int? but even then, this is pretty much pointless, i wish cc added just a grain of realism for the survival guys
apemanzilla #8
Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:59 AM

about to say, what about a 64 bit unsigned int? but even then, this is pretty much pointless, i wish cc added just a grain of realism for the survival guys

CC isn't really designed around realism. OpenComputers might be more suited to your tastes.
wilcomega #9
Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:24 PM

CC isn't really designed around realism. OpenComputers might be more suited to your tastes.

I love open computers, but i came back to computer craft because open computers has almost no community.