This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
LDDestroier's profile picture

Whisk - file/folder transfer

Started by LDDestroier, 27 February 2016 - 03:22 AM
LDDestroier #1
Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:22 AM
A while ago I tried (and gave up) to make some simple FTP program (which is kind of embarrassing in retrospect), so I gave it another go. And here we are.

WHISK

Because it whisks your files away! I thought it was a good name.

The main difference with this and another ordinary file transfer program is that it can take a folder (and all its contents) as an argument. Meaning, you can send your entire filesystem to another computer. Neato.

UPDATE: Files are now encrypted with valithor's encryption API.

pastebin get 4ZRHE4Ar whisk
std pb 4ZRHE4Ar whisk
std ld whisk whisk

Syntax:

whisk   --Opens GUI interface
whisk send <filename> <id>
whisk receive <savename> <idfilter>

Screenshots:
Spoiler
Main menu

SEND menu (the receive menu looks mostly the same)

The CLI interface.
Edited on 14 March 2016 - 03:13 PM
Creator #2
Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:53 AM
Is ther any login/user functionality? And please, I want to have an idea of how it looks, even if it is just CLI. Else, nice!
LDDestroier #3
Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:27 PM
Is ther any login/user functionality? And please, I want to have an idea of how it looks, even if it is just CLI. Else, nice!
It is decentralized, and is also completely CLI. I might want to make a version with a GUI, but as for now, it's bug-fixing time.

And for as it looks…

CraftOS 17
>ls
rom	 butts   whisk
>ls butts
test1   test2
>whisk send butts
>

CraftOS 1.7
>ls
rom	 whisk
>whisk receive
Receiving...Done (got 2 files)
>ls
rom	 butts	whisk
>ls butts
test1	test2
Edited on 27 February 2016 - 10:04 PM
LDDestroier #4
Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:07 PM
New milestone. I fixed some bugs, and now you can send your entire filesystem with "whisk send /", or whatever folder you cd'd into with "whisk send ."

Maybe I'll consider making a GUI for it. MAYBE. GUI design is not my strong suit, and I never liked learning new APIs.
Creator #5
Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:36 PM
New milestone. I fixed some bugs, and now you can send your entire filesystem with "whisk send /", or whatever folder you cd'd into with "whisk send ."

Maybe I'll consider making a GUI for it. MAYBE. GUI design is not my strong suit, and I never liked learning new APIs.

Then create an API, like I do!
FUNCTION MAN! #6
Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:09 AM
And make it encrypted! (please not memfrob(3)ed)
PixelToast #7
Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:49 AM

TIL… http://linux.die.net/man/3/memfrob

The memfrob() function encrypts the first n bytes of the memory area s by exclusive-ORing each character with the number 42. The effect can be reversed by using memfrob() on the encrypted memory area.
Edited on 28 February 2016 - 02:54 AM
LDDestroier #8
Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:17 AM
mein snippen

Then create an API, like I do!

I don't FEEL like it. I might just use someone else's (NOT Bedrock, despite it being easy to install). Perhaps I'll use Flare given how cool it is, that is if I feel like making a GUI to begin with. I'm more comfortable with using AND making CLI applications.

Encryption is DEFINITELY going to be added to it! That is a priority. I'll try to work it into the CLI syntax. And based on PixelToast's description (read: parroting) of memfrob(3), that DOES sound pretty awful. I'll probably use the same encryption as Enchat (valithor's encryption API encrypts based on os.time() and password).
LDDestroier #9
Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:36 PM
New update! Added some basic encryption to the contents of files, and added a GUI that runs when no arguments are given.
Personally, I think the GUI looks rather dashing.

Imma go add screenshots.
LDDestroier #10
Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:58 AM
Now on SimSoft! In fact, I only added a GUI so it could be added into SimSoft.
Also, since the last bump post, I've fixed several bugs and made a new program based on it that encrypts the whole hard drive.