This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
manu_03's profile picture

Uncopiable disks

Started by manu_03, 06 March 2016 - 10:17 AM
manu_03 #1
Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:17 AM
Some servers have paid programs. So, when you buy it, it gives you a floppy, easily copiable (these are creative servers). My idea is to make a function like disk.sign() which makes it unwriteable and unclonable. Also while it is inserted you can't use fs.write(), unless a program inside the disk uses it. And once the disk is removed, computer reboots.
wilcomega #2
Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:05 PM
Some way to make a file/folder/mount readonly would be nice
Lyqyd #3
Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:34 PM
Data has to be read in order to be used. If the data can be read, it can be copied.
wilcomega #4
Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:43 PM
Data has to be read in order to be used. If the data can be read, it can be copied.

Totally missed that, but still, i would like to make stuff read only
HPWebcamAble #5
Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:39 AM
Totally missed that, but still, i would like to make stuff read only

You could always modify the FS API
Dragon53535 #6
Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:28 AM
It still wouldn't do what he wants, in order to run said program you need to be able to read it, once you can read it you can always save it under a new name.
Sebra #7
Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:54 AM
It seems the only way to do what manu_03 want is to sell preprogrammed computer which would run without ability to get it's disk content.
This is the way how real life SIM cards work.

It can work like this:
Additional computation module called "ACM" for example.
Programmed in Disk Drive by adding "main" file.
Computer can use Disk Drive's method "run" with some parameters and receive return values.
Program started like that can lock/unlock read/write access to ACM but have full access to own disk itself.

To be fair I do not need it. Just shaped how it can looks.