This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Elttob's profile picture

VSF - higher definition images

Started by Elttob, 28 March 2016 - 07:45 AM
Elttob #1
Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:45 AM

Hi! I'm still fairly new to the forums, but I have a new program I created. Introducing VSF.

VSF stands for Vertex Subpixel Format, and might be part of my Vertex OS if I ever finish it. VSF allows for 2x more colors in a row and 3x more colors in a column.

We all know of the Windows XP background, Bliss. Using a java program I wrote, I converted it into two images; the standard paint image, and a VSF image. Let's take a look:

Normal Image (with Floyd-Steinberg dithering)

Eww. This picture looks very noisy and it isn't exactly appealing.

VSF Image (with Floyd-Steinberg dithering)

Much better. I really like how the clouds turned out, and the hill isn't a muddy mess. If you squint your eyes it really looks like the original, too!

Sorry but there's no download or pastebin, this is still highly experimental. Well, at least it looks nice.
CrazedProgrammer #2
Posted 28 March 2016 - 04:14 PM
I think you need to provide a download, otherwise this belongs in Media or General.

Anyways, very cool implementation of the new characters and the Floyd-Steinberg dithering!
Lyqyd #3
Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:18 AM
Moved to Media. Posts in the Programs section require code to be posted.
wilcomega #4
Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:58 PM
Really cool idea!
Gorzoid #5
Posted 31 March 2016 - 10:10 PM
Nice, I saw this used in OpenComputers before and daaam this method can make really amazing looking graphics. Are you gonna release the java source code at any point?
H4X0RZ #6
Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:31 AM
Nice, I saw this used in OpenComputers before and daaam this method can make really amazing looking graphics. Are you gonna release the java source code at any point?

Um… Java? CC uses Lua.

Sorry, I forgot that the op used a Java program for the conversation.
Edited on 31 March 2016 - 10:32 PM
Elttob #7
Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:25 AM
If I ever make the converter user friendly then yes, I will release it.
jv110 #8
Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:30 AM
Just freaking release it. Nobody cares if it's user friendly or not, we just want to use it.
Edited on 23 May 2016 - 10:30 PM
ReBraLaCC #9
Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:47 PM
cool mate!
ry00000 #10
Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:05 PM

Hi! I'm still fairly new to the forums, but I have a new program I created. Introducing VSF.

VSF stands for Vertex Subpixel Format, and might be part of my Vertex OS if I ever finish it. VSF allows for 2x more colors in a row and 3x more colors in a column.

We all know of the Windows XP background, Bliss. Using a java program I wrote, I converted it into two images; the standard paint image, and a VSF image. Let's take a look:

Normal Image (with Floyd-Steinberg dithering)

Eww. This picture looks very noisy and it isn't exactly appealing.

VSF Image (with Floyd-Steinberg dithering)

Much better. I really like how the clouds turned out, and the hill isn't a muddy mess. If you squint your eyes it really looks like the original, too!

Sorry but there's no download or pastebin, this is still highly experimental. Well, at least it looks nice.

Daaaaaamn, this looks NICE! Can't wait to get my little programmer hands on a version of this!