This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
H4X0RZ's profile picture

What do you prefer when building websites?

Started by H4X0RZ, 17 April 2016 - 01:32 PM
H4X0RZ #1
Posted 17 April 2016 - 03:32 PM
I guess the title explains my question already.

Until recently I prefered to build single-page-apps with AngularJS. I use(d) PHP (with Flight or F3) as backend and Skeleton.css as framework. Nothing special.

Yesterday I did the Ruby course on codecademy (it took me two hours. That was a real pain ;-; ) and now I'm learning Ruby on Rails. I really began to like it. Maybe I'll build some small apps with it in the future (e.g. for krist).

Greetings,
~H4X0RZ
Edited on 17 April 2016 - 02:41 PM
FUNCTION MAN! #2
Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:48 PM
I don't usually make websites, but when I do, I make sure the backend is as obscure as possible: so either Rust with Iron or Clack.
SquidDev #3
Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:02 PM
I'm generally stuck with PHP, but I love ASP.NET which has become more usable on other platforms in recent years. If you don't need to support older browsers then I'd stay clear of jQuery: many things can be achieved in nicer ways using vanilla JS.
Waitdev_ #4
Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:00 PM
I actually use HTML :P/>
Bomb Bloke #5
Posted 18 April 2016 - 12:00 PM
I'm generally stuck with PHP, but I love ASP.NET which has become more usable on other platforms in recent years. If you don't need to support older browsers then I'd stay clear of jQuery: many things can be achieved in nicer ways using vanilla JS.

Speaking of which, pastebin's recent "revamp" often freezes my browser (Firefox) if I open up too many pastes at a time; the script blamed is jQuery.

Why the heck sites like that fail to realise they're popular because they don't have all that scripted nonsense is beyond me.
Tiin57 #6
Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:24 PM
I usually use PHP, plain CSS, and jQuery/Bootstrap for my personal projects - however, I've been rewriting my employer's website for a couple months now using Typescript as back-end (Node.JS) and front-end (still using jQuery and some Bootstrap). I wouldn't use Typescript for a small project, though. It's far too much hassle to set up initially, and I'm lazy with my small projects.
DannySMc #7
Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:35 PM
I use skel.io as a framework and Sass as the css compiler. Then of course html, angularjs is cool for single page applications but I'd rather just use jQuery and use a PHP backend like Zend or Laravel. Ruby on rails is pretty cool!!

Maybe even look at ASP.net and C#, not the best; but quite cool!

Foundation is very good as a responsive framework, and has tons of cool features, especially AngularJS 2.0 and foundation framework.
Edited on 21 April 2016 - 04:37 PM
Mumbai #8
Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:21 PM
LEL im so pathetic I just use WordPress installation with cracked themes
Admicos #9
Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:07 PM
I use PHP because it's everywhere, but i'm gonna experiment with Python/Flask since i had my own little server for nearly 3 months now.

Other than that, Bootstrap with themes + custom additions and jQuery

WordPress installation with cracked themes

Oh god the backdoors.
Edited on 29 June 2016 - 03:08 PM
Mumbai #10
Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:04 PM
I use PHP because it's everywhere, but i'm gonna experiment with Python/Flask since i had my own little server for nearly 3 months now.

Other than that, Bootstrap with themes + custom additions and jQuery

WordPress installation with cracked themes

Oh god the backdoors.

Not if you personally crack them :)/>
vico #11
Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:11 AM
Well, a (very) amateur here. I just want to throw a short story about this:

When i (tried) to setup a fansite for Chrono series, my first thought was to make a portuguese version of the major english fansite about the series, and it has three modules: a forum, a front page and a wiki. My (non) brilliant idea was to get PHPBB, Wordpress and MediaWiki. Bet what was the result?

I suffered a hell trying to simply make the three CMSs look and feel match. And worse: i dont know NOTHING about OOP on PHP, so i simply cant learn nothing about stylizing MediaWiki.

Was then i learn the fabulous world of the simple modern-looking, flat-file CMS floating around.

First i found DokuWiki. I really like it! Very simple to manage, comes with a lot of plugins and you can host this on a very shitty free web hosting.

Second, i found Grav. From what i learn using it (very little, i didnt used in production because the fansite was already structured) its a very good and simple alternative to wordpress.

And then i found MDWiki. Very simple and raw. Only for those who like to organize themselves the site file structure (this is the reason i like it, plus the markdown parser).

I still searching for a flat-file CMS for forums.

But from the experience i get, if i build another personal website i will definitely went with they, due to simplicity.
Mumbai #12
Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:55 PM
Well, a (very) amateur here. I just want to throw a short story about this:

When i (tried) to setup a fansite for Chrono series, my first thought was to make a portuguese version of the major english fansite about the series, and it has three modules: a forum, a front page and a wiki. My (non) brilliant idea was to get PHPBB, Wordpress and MediaWiki. Bet what was the result?

I suffered a hell trying to simply make the three CMSs look and feel match. And worse: i dont know NOTHING about OOP on PHP, so i simply cant learn nothing about stylizing MediaWiki.

Was then i learn the fabulous world of the simple modern-looking, flat-file CMS floating around.

First i found DokuWiki. I really like it! Very simple to manage, comes with a lot of plugins and you can host this on a very shitty free web hosting.

Second, i found Grav. From what i learn using it (very little, i didnt used in production because the fansite was already structured) its a very good and simple alternative to wordpress.

And then i found MDWiki. Very simple and raw. Only for those who like to organize themselves the site file structure (this is the reason i like it, plus the markdown parser).

I still searching for a flat-file CMS for forums.

But from the experience i get, if i build another personal website i will definitely went with they, due to simplicity.
you could have just stuck with WP, and you can get premuim plugins that would do the functions that the other two CMS systems would do…but hey whatever makes your boat float :)/>
SoftNougat #13
Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:46 AM
I've got few ideas only about building a website. The only two most important things that I can remember are to have an attractive design that will get your site notice by viewers and a good content of your site.
Edited by