This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
SGunner2014's profile picture

BASE 2 [Recoded] [Multitasking] [GUI] - and much more to come!

Started by SGunner2014, 15 May 2016 - 04:38 PM
SGunner2014 #1
Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:38 PM
BASE 2 (Proof of concept)

For those of you who remember my previous attempt at a GUI-based operating system, this is nothing like that. The old attemppt was, to be frank, quite a bit buggy and didn't support essential features like multitasking. However, BASE 2 aims to change all of that.

I've completely re-coded everything from scratch, ensuring that it all is designed from the ground up to work with the new kernel that's been implemented, as opposed to adapting older bits of code to work with the new system.

I've also attempted to design a GUI that is easy to use, and doesn't require much time to learn. Bear in mind, that, as I release new versions of the OS, the GUI will be continually updated and changed for the better.

This being a proof of concept at the moment, this does of course mean that there are several major bugs still in the OS, and as such, I don't recommend that you use this as a solution for your main OS at the moment. I aim to fix these bugs somewhere close in the future.

There are also several major features missing from the OS at the moment. And by major, I mean OS-breaking features, like the file browser, console or update centre (Which I aim to implement all of in the future).

Anyways, let's get down to business. To install the OS, run the command below:

pastebin run 5TqBtSd0

This installer is quite bad, but just serves as a basic package to run to install this early preview. In the future, I'll have a much better installer and an update server to fetch updates from my servers.

If you have any problems with the OS that aren't listed below, then please let me know. Otherwise, have fun testing this early version and make sure to suggest new features that could make it better!

Screenshots (No pics, no clicks):
Spoiler[img]blob:https://imgur.com/a33872d9-815c-4ae9-864b-5523cb84b1f4[/img]

Bugs I currently know of, and are not fixed (yet):
SpoilerMouse events sometimes are not redirected into the proper app. (Kernel bug)
Sometimes, apps will minimise themselves when they should be the active app. (Kernel bug)
The console currently does not work. (App not implemented yet)
The file browser doesn't fully work. (App not implemented yet)

Some apps on the desktop don't work properly - these are just example apps and will be removed in future versions

Third-party apps are still not supported - this will be fixed in a future version

Thanks,
- Sam

P.S. the installer was made using a modified version of Creator's "Compress" program.
Edited on 07 December 2017 - 10:34 PM
Cross_Sans #2
Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:51 PM
Good OS, it's working fine (except for some options). But it's normal, it's not finished. Hope you finish that soon !
SGunner2014 #3
Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:36 PM
The OS has been updated with additional features
Introducing:
- A new notification system available to third-party apps, as well as system apps that allows you to see what's going on under the hood.
- A new error-handling system with an error reporter that stops programs from crashing and displaying ugly error messages.

This version is once again a work-in-progress, so feedback would be appreciated on the OS. Some apps, like the task manager are not yet fully implemented.