This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Bo0m5l4ng's profile picture

Couple of suggestions

Started by Bo0m5l4ng, 17 July 2012 - 11:02 AM
Bo0m5l4ng #1
Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:02 PM
I am a programmer and I love computercraft, and i also love RedPower, but i love how the computercraft mod is more modern and easy to use than the forth one. There is a couple of things i wold love to see, especially more interactivity with other mods.

The first i would like to see is a laptop, which 1) could be viewed while in your hand or placed and used as a portable computer for testing purposes, 2) had wireless redstone capability(whether through it's own hardware, or interactivity with the wireless redstone mod for RP, and 3a) had GUI tools for creation of quick programs that could link to other programs, background style. 3b)Allowed for keybinding to buttons that engage with the GUI program running,

Combined with redpower, this would allow for some amazing things, like your program unlocking a complicated circuitry, unlimited communication to separate redstone wires, and even as a remote control for things like inchworms.
kazagistar #2
Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:30 PM
You can implement wireless redstone already using the mod with 2 computers and 2 modems. There are a number of people already working on pseudo-guis with text based interfaces, menus, etc, but feel free to make a better one if you think it is possible. Keybindings are also very possible.
OmegaVest #3
Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:03 PM
So, some responses:
1) Been suggested. I've made a few contributions to the myriad threads containing this. Though, most people ignored me.
2) This is why WR-CBE and WR original have remotes. I realize you're trying to make something like a frame-train engineer, who can instantly call upon such things, but really, that can be done with the remote as well.
3a) Apparently, GUI tools will never really be a part of the mod. The idea, apparently, was to make 1980s style computers with a minecraft twist (hence wireless modems). But the CCPDA peripheral looks promising for this.
3b) See CCPDA. You will always need to be interacting with the computer to use it. It makes griefing juuuuuuust a bit harder.

That said, I'm a stickler for balance. I think making it like you have it would make things too easy, unless the recipe required Diamonds, Glowstone and Enderstone. Or to have rEther pearls, for wireless redstone.