This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
angrygoose72's profile picture

OS sounds

Started by angrygoose72, 18 July 2012 - 12:59 AM
angrygoose72 #1
Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:59 AM
I thought that is would be cool if you could have sound output to a noteblock, or speaker next to the computer, and all the sounds could be stored in \mod\ComputerCraft\lua\rom\sounds
that the sounds could be customisable and be included with other peoples' own code.
8bit sound would be really nice.
Noodle #2
Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:57 AM
Cool.. Only problem would be servers, you would need to upload client and server.
Darky_Alan #3
Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:10 AM
Cool.. Only problem would be servers, you would need to upload client and server.
Why not just add a speaker and create API's for all the possible noteblock sounds, then just call them out by specific note and tone, sure it would be A LOT of coding and timing, but I can picture some craze person going for it, it would also make atleast outputting simple sounds like an "INCORRECT PASSWORD" a lot easier without having to get a noteblock or a few.

One speaker could make a startling sound when it's wrong and then make a softer bell when it's right.
Noodle #4
Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:14 AM
Yea that could work, but he also is talking about 8-bit music.. That won't work (unless you use a bunch of noteblock sounds).
BigSHinyToys #5
Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:15 AM
having flashbacks to when i ripped out the terminl bell on my pc good times i tell ya good times.

any way it would be awesome to have a sound output system of some kind maybe a speaker / MIDI sound card peripheral. that sounds like a Game boy or NES console.

@ Darky_Alan
[CC 1.31] Super Note Block - All Note Blocks In One!
Darky_Alan #6
Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:16 AM
Yea that could work, but he also is talking about 8-bit music.. That won't work (unless you use a bunch of noteblock sounds).
wire a bunch of speakers together and syncronize what each one will do, maybe make a block that works like a microphone and listens for noteblocks, place it near your pre-existing 8bit song and have it listen for all the sounds, save it on a floppy move it over to the pc.

@BigSHinyToys

Fucking perfect.
more or less create a speaker that does exactly this.