This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
PossieTV's profile picture

Server Project Idea- Capture the Base (POC)

Started by PossieTV, 11 June 2016 - 10:08 PM
PossieTV #1
Posted 12 June 2016 - 12:08 AM
Edit: I've been working on a proof of concept and I will post screenshots as I make progress
Mostly done with the hacking part of the fort, I just need to make it so that you can click the button on the MBC and be in control of the fort

Edit2: I think I have as many people as I want working on this project, or at least moderating the server anyhow.

Ok so I've wanted to do a project like this for a while but I never had a concrete plan for it but now I do. I just lack resources and help.

Here's the idea:
A survival computer craft server with various forts built all around the world. The basic goal is to be in control of as many forts for as long a time as possible. The forts themselves would have multiple bedrooms inside along with a main bedroom. The main bedroom would be for the controller of the fort and the other bedrooms would be for if the controller had an army (which would be encouraged). In the main bedroom, there would be a control computer that would be connected to a network of computers all around the fort as well as a main server computer in an off-limits room somewhere near spawn. In order to control a fort, the controller must "hack" the controller computer. From there, the controller will log in using a username and password that is set up upon joining the server. The main server will keep track of how long the controller controls the fort (for the sake of a leaderboard or something). This server would also include flans mod for a more modern feeling capture-the-base.

So that's the idea in a nutshell, here are some of the details that I've already worked out

How the main bedroom computer (MBC) would work:
SpoilerAlong with keeping track of who controls which fort, the MBC would control doors, lights, turtles, defense systems, and pretty much everything in the fort that can be controlled by a computer. This will come into play when attacking a rival fort. But I'll explain that later. The MBC can also perform fort upgrades. This will be done by a command computer and cost currency to execute. These upgrades can include adding walls, upgrading doors (changing an empty entrance into a wooden door, then to an iron door), and adding extra rooms. These upgrades can be bought by anyone although I don't really see anyone but the fort controller buying them. The MBC can also kick people out of different bedrooms by removing beds.

The forts themselves:
SpoilerI don't really have any specific idea for the exact look of the forts or exactly how many there should be but I do have a few things in mind. Firstly, the forts should be on land that can't be built upon (like faction land or something like that), that way, if the controller wants to upgrade it, he or she has to go through the MBC to do so. The forts will be the only places (along with spawn) on the server that be built upon. Players can create their own forts but A.) it would be easier to just take over a different fort, B.) those forts could be completely destroyed, and C.) no points would be awarded for controlling a custom fort. Secondly, not every fort should be equal. Some should be more desirable than others. For instance, one might be a basic stone structure with one extra bedroom and one available upgrade while another might be a golden palace with five upgradable bedrooms, turtle farmers, and two gun rooms. This will be beneficial in a few ways. It will provide an easy way for new players to get started in the server, as the veteran players with all their supplies will be fighting over the more desirable forts. It will also encourage people to take over more than one fort. This will also add a complex team dynamic. For example, it will be incredibly difficult for one person to control two forts especially if they are far away. The person must then make a difficult decision: Send someone over to manage the fort and risk a coup, or continue to attempt to manage two forts simultaneously.

How hacking a MBC would work:
SpoilerSo this was the part that took me the longest to work out. Hacking a fort can't be too easy or no one will ever keep their forts and conversely, it can't be too hard or no one will get forts. It has to be a process that takes time and skill. So here's what I came up with (and if someone has a better idea, I'm all ears). There will be floppy disks all around the world and available for purchase at spawn (the spawn disks won't be all to good though). These disks will have various types of attacks on them. From there, the hacker must have access to a computer (some attacks will require an advanced computer) and a disk drive. The hacker puts the attack disk in the drive and executes the hack program. The hacker then completes a series of puzzles depending on the attack disk. Once the puzzles are completed the defense has a chance to counter. The allotted time to counter is determined by the quality of the attack. Some attacks might by instantaneous (allowing no time for counter but these will be incredibly rare) others might take 5 minutes. Once the attack is completed, the hacker has complete access over the fort network (over the doors, defense systems, turtles, etc.) From there, the attacker must go into the fort and infiltrate the MCB by simply logging in. Once logged in, the beds in the fort will disappear by default and the attacker can drive out the remaining people (i.e. kill them, sending them back to spawn far away from the fort). The attacker (now fort controller) can bring the beds back using the MBC and officially claim his or her new territory.

How defending a MBC would work:
SpoilerEach fort will have a computer room with a computer that is constantly checking for attacks. Each fort will also have monitors that can display messages and stuff. When the computer detects an attack, the monitors will flash red. From the moment that the monitors start flashing, the controller (or a member of the controllers army) must go into the computer room and solve a series of puzzles. The type of puzzle depends on the type of attack. The better the attack the harder the puzzle. Some attacks might not even have a counter and automatically infiltrate the system. Once inside the system there is no computer craft defense left. The controller must fight off his attacker until either the network reboots which will take like 5 minutes (again this time will be adjusted) or the attacker successfully infiltrates the MBC and resets the bed and kills everyone in the fort.

Flags:
SpoilerUpon entering the server, each person will create a flag that will be displayed on the front monitor of each fort he or she owns. Teams will be unofficial (allowing for that complex team dynamic as stated in the forts sections)

Currency:
SpoilerSo I don't really have any specific program in mind for this but there will be a computer craft currency and a currency plug-in. The plug-in currency will be for getting money from real world events (killing mobs, selling items, etc.) and will be spent on CC currency items (an item like emerald that is really hard to get naturally). The CC currency will be spent on attack disks and upgrades.

So there's my idea with all of its details. Here are some things that I am lacking:
Spoiler* A server
* Builders (I don't really have a talent for this, I just like coding and coming up with elaborate ideas xD)
* Coding helpers (I can manage a lot of this or even all of it if no one wants to help, but help would be nice)

Proof of Concept Video:
Spoiler
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0t_0g4W4Rs[/media]

So if you have server space, some time to give to a fun project, and/or some building/coding talent, put it in the comments and hopefully we can get the project going.
Edited on 25 June 2016 - 02:15 AM
Creator #2
Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:11 PM
Dude, the hacking in CC is usually what is hardest. However, I think you have worked out a pretty good system.
I might be interested in this.
Edited on 12 June 2016 - 01:14 PM
PossieTV #3
Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:35 PM
Yeah, although should this project get off the ground, I don't think that it will technically be hacking. I think it will be like some sort of pseudo-hacking. Right now I am working on a proof of concept. It's going to be a completely functional test fort (it will has very minimal features although the backbone of the system is there).
DannySMc #4
Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:38 PM
If anyone is actually wanting to do this? I would love to host the server for it? And then you can work on it :D/>
PossieTV #5
Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:07 PM
If anyone is actually wanting to do this? I would love to host the server for it? And then you can work on it :D/>

Awesome! I've worked on it a little bit more since that video. Everything works, it just needs to be polished a little bit. If you want to meet me on a server some time to work out everything I'm free pretty much any time. I would love to see this project up and running and I think it would be a lot of fun.
Creator #6
Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:56 AM
The video is impressive! I would love to help you out.
PossieTV #7
Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:49 PM

I would love your help! I took a look at your programs and your gui skills are impressive (which is pretty much all that is left on the programming side). What api did you use for FileX? Also what are your building skills like?
jv110 #8
Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:58 PM
This looks absolutely amazing! Can I help too?
Creator #9
Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:05 PM

I would love your help! I took a look at your programs and your gui skills are impressive (which is pretty much all that is left on the programming side). What api did you use for FileX? Also what are your building skills like?

FileX ==> some on the go framework that is hardcoded in the program. I was writing Pixel at some point, but lost interest and a lack of time.

Building skill ==> I love it!
PossieTV #10
Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:41 PM

FileX ==> some on the go framework that is hardcoded in the program. I was writing Pixel at some point, but lost interest and a lack of time.

Sweet, then your in! I'm still working out details with Danny but once I get them I'll PM you and we can start building and set a open date.
Creator #11
Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:17 PM

Sweet, then your in! I'm still working out details with Danny but once I get them I'll PM you and we can start building and set a open date.

Ok. Awesome!
Mumbai #12
Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:55 PM
lol May I join? Be fun to help. Better than sitting around doing nothing
PossieTV #13
Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:16 PM
lol May I join? Be fun to help. Better than sitting around doing nothing
I think we can add one more to our little group
What experience do you have with building and coding?
Mumbai #14
Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:52 AM
coding, i can do basic stuff.

Building, Im also good. Not an expert, but well enough to build good detail
lutherwenxu #15
Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:37 AM
Hi, may I help with this project? It seems quite interesting… I'll start working on the code and see what I can work out… :)/>
PossieTV #16
Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:12 AM
Hi, may I help with this project? It seems quite interesting… I'll start working on the code and see what I can work out… :)/>

We aren't really looking for any more team members at the moment, but help/support is always appreciated! If you wish to help, we are thinking of adding an arcade at spawn and we need games/game ideas for it. Thank you so much though for your support!
lutherwenxu #17
Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:05 AM
We aren't really looking for any more team members at the moment, but help/support is always appreciated! If you wish to help, we are thinking of adding an arcade at spawn and we need games/game ideas for it.
OK. I will be thinking of the ideas. :)/>
Thank you so much though for your support!
Np.

Edit:
Side-note: I've manage to make this map here before you "stopped" me: https://mega.nz/#!PxMBXDgb!AE5bnt03c1L8sQXh06IvjoRWwAfeLHUq2rMpSladVuQ. You are ALLOWED to use it however you like, but if you use it somehow please give me credit. Thank you and have a nice day.
Edited on 01 July 2016 - 09:18 AM
lutherwenxu #18
Posted 04 July 2016 - 11:50 AM
May I know the latest progress on this project?
Just asking. ^_^/>
DannySMc #19
Posted 04 July 2016 - 02:30 PM
May I know the latest progress on this project?
Just asking. ^_^/>

We have the server up, and are currently working on it :D/>
lifewcody #20
Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:25 AM
Love the idea :)/>

If you need servers, coding, etc. feel free to pm me
DannySMc #21
Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:37 PM
Love the idea :)/>/>

If you need servers, coding, etc. feel free to pm me

Already have the servers :P/> as I host it with many others :') pm him though if you can code in Lua.