This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
KingMachine's profile picture

1.4 Turtle Compare ID

Started by KingMachine, 18 July 2012 - 05:07 AM
KingMachine #1
Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:07 AM
I think there should be a method like compare that returns the ID instead. ie turtle.computerID(). This would be handy for a multitude of reasons. Specifically when the turtle cannot hold the block that it is looking for.

However, that's just the programmer in me speaking. The minecrafter in me wants to mine peat when it's ready.
xuma202 #2
Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:21 PM
This has already suggested a couple of times but it seems as dan don't wants implement this. I think this feature would be very useful too. We can only hope that when there are peripherals for Turtles , a feature that get's implemented, someone creates something that can do that.
Xfel #3
Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:46 PM
A peripheral analysing the block in front of it is also on the list for ARP. however, this thing would be stationary. You would neet some intelligent piston setup…
xuma202 #4
Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:58 PM
Well if so you would not even need pistons. You would just have to make the turtle placing down the Peripheral between the Block to analyze and the turtle itself. And later remove it the Peripheral again. But that would get difficult if space is limited.
First breaking the block and then going to the Peripheral would not be a good idea since it's a waste of time and very impractical.

Xfel your idea is great. But not for Turtles.
kazagistar #5
Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:39 PM
The reason this does not exist is because it breaks the fourth wall. Turtles are being designed to not ruin immersion.
KingMachine #6
Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:26 PM
The reason this does not exist is because it breaks the fourth wall. Turtles are being designed to not ruin immersion.
Then instead of a block id a block name string. Either way however I've found a way for the turtle to figure out what it is by figuring out what it's not if you know what I mean. Reverse logic and what not. But the fact remains that I would like a name for the blocks it detects instead of just "yes I can mine this", "this is or isn't the same as I'm holding" or "there is a block here"