This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
FoxData's profile picture

Krist betting?

Started by FoxData, 16 June 2016 - 05:12 PM
FoxData #1
Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:12 PM
Hi everyone. I just wanted to know if you could make a program where you can bet on stuff with krist,

Things like CCJAM 2016 (Betting on who could get 1st)

Is it possible?
CrazedProgrammer #2
Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:03 PM
Why are people so obsessed with Krist?
Edited on 16 June 2016 - 06:06 PM
Saldor010 #3
Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:10 PM

Probably because they want to have more krist than anyone else. Now that they're rich with a useless currency, they're trying to find a use for it. (No offense meant to you guys)
Lignum #4
Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:12 PM
Sure, you can find documentation on the Krist API here.
H4X0RZ #5
Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:14 PM
I might write some more Ruby stuff for Krist. Maybe it'll allow stuff like this too then. Idk.
CrazedProgrammer #6
Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:17 PM
Probably because they want to have more krist than anyone else. Now that they're rich with a useless currency, they're trying to find a use for it. (No offense meant to you guys)
Yeah, that's probably it.
I was there when Krist started and I mined a lot (17,3K KST), but after a while I stopped caring, because it's useless.
These kinds of threads should not exist on the CC forums.
Edited on 16 June 2016 - 06:18 PM
Saldor010 #7
Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:25 PM
I was there when Krist started and I mined a lot (17,3K KST), but after a while I stopped caring, because it's useless.

Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say they don't belong on the CC forums, it did start as a CC program after all, but I do agree that the currency is very pointless at the time of writing.
3d6 #8
Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:26 PM
I disagree, although I admit I may be a bit biased.
These people (kids, even) are making secure applications and transactions with a real, albeit small, currency system. It is excellent experience for a career in security or finance; and essential topics also include hashing, chaining, and automated payment systems - all three of which are important aspects of the Internet today. Remember that just because something may seem pretentious, that doesn't make it pointless. As the #1 program thread by replies in ComputerCraft history, it is clearly not.
Edited on 16 June 2016 - 06:30 PM
Saldor010 #9
Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:29 PM
These people (kids, even) are making secure applications and transactions with a real, albeit small, currency system. It is excellent experience for a career in security or finance; and essential topics also include hashing, chaining, and automated payment systems - all three of which are important aspects of the Internet today. Remember that just because something may seem pretentious doesn't mean that it's pointless.

Could you please post some links to various programs that involve krist in any way? I honestly haven't seen very many, and would be a tad more interested in the currency if I knew they were out there.
3d6 #10
Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:43 PM
These people (kids, even) are making secure applications and transactions with a real, albeit small, currency system. It is excellent experience for a career in security or finance; and essential topics also include hashing, chaining, and automated payment systems - all three of which are important aspects of the Internet today. Remember that just because something may seem pretentious doesn't mean that it's pointless.

Could you please post some links to various programs that involve krist in any way? I honestly haven't seen very many, and would be a tad more interested in the currency if I knew they were out there.
Here's a non-exhaustive list of some fun programs:There aren't many automated payment systems yet unfortunately - but that's what I'm most excited about for Krist's future. There's already been two automated gambling sites for KST.
Saldor010 #11
Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:53 PM
Here's a non-exhaustive list of some fun programs:There aren't many automated payment systems yet unfortunately - but that's what I'm most excited about for Krist's future. There's already been two automated gambling sites for KST.

No offense meant, but half of those are wallets/miners, and the rest of them are mostly just gambling for more krist. Thank you for pulling up those links though, I'm sure it took you awhile, and I do appreciate it.
Cloud Ninja #12
Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:01 PM

No offense meant, but half of those are wallets/miners, and the rest of them are mostly just gambling for more krist. Thank you for pulling up those links though, I'm sure it took you awhile, and I do appreciate it.

Krist in itself has no monetary value or point. But for computercraft not having any form of currency in terms of usage on servers, banking applications, etc, it does serve a purpose.
PossieTV #13
Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:37 PM
Yeah and besides, any type of currency we use really only has value because we arbitrarily decided it did. Paper money is just tree bark painted green and is only worth something because people will accept it as valuable.
Saldor010 #14
Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:02 AM
Yeah and besides, any type of currency we use really only has value because we arbitrarily decided it did. Paper money is just tree bark painted green and is only worth something because people will accept it as valuable.

That and the fact that there are useful things you can do with the tree bark painted green, such as buying food or paying bills. You can't do that with Krist.
Edited on 17 June 2016 - 11:02 PM
Cloud Ninja #15
Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:31 AM

That and the fact that there are useful things you can do with the tree bark painted green, such as buying food or paying bills. You can't do that with Krist.
Not to you. There are services (someone's making logos in exchange for krist) that take it, and it can only grow from there.
PossieTV #16
Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:35 AM

Not to you. There are services (someone's making logos in exchange for krist) that take it, and it can only grow from there.

Exactly! Just as with the American dollar (or any currency really), it becomes more and more valuable as people start to offer goods in exchange for it (like logos or server store or anything like that). And when someone offers a service on the forums (say a server hosting service or something like that) that charges Krist and peaks your interest, you will more than likely find Krist useful then.
Saldor010 #17
Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:20 AM
Exactly! Just as with the American dollar (or any currency really), it becomes more and more valuable as people start to offer goods in exchange for it (like logos or server store or anything like that). And when someone offers a service on the forums (say a server hosting service or something like that) that charges Krist and peaks your interest, you will more than likely find Krist useful then.

When and if the day comes that people actually start accepting Krist in place of USD or any other official currency, I will be very excited and will probably jump on the Krist train as quickly as possible. However, until that day comes, my point still stands that there's no practical use to the currency. You guys can boast about the fact that you're trading Krist for small things that would otherwise be free (like Logan's logos), but trying to argue that this currency is more than just a fun little game is stretching it.

Again, making it clear, I mean no offense to the creator or any users of Krist, I don't dislike the currency or the people who use it, I just dislike the fact that people think it's valuable.
jv110 #18
Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:48 AM

When and if the day comes that people actually start accepting Krist in place of USD or any other official currency, I will be very excited and will probably jump on the Krist train as quickly as possible. However, until that day comes, my point still stands that there's no practical use to the currency. You guys can boast about the fact that you're trading Krist for small things that would otherwise be free (like Logan's logos), but trying to argue that this currency is more than just a fun little game is stretching it.

Again, making it clear, I mean no offense to the creator or any users of Krist, I don't dislike the currency or the people who use it, I just dislike the fact that people think it's valuable.

That's exactly why it's not valuable - people think it isn't. Since it's apparently not valuable, nobody's gonna give any service in exchange for Krist, which is what males it valuable in the first place.
PossieTV #19
Posted 18 June 2016 - 08:12 AM

Right, and I don't think it was ever meant to be something serious. I think it was meant to just be a fun game for people to play around with as well as an impressive bit of code. All I'm saying is that the value is not inherit in the Krist, it's whatever people give it, which right now, is very little.
powerboat9 #20
Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:51 PM
Krist is essentially useless, unless servers start allowing conversion of krist to resources and back.