This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Antelux's profile picture

Orientating and mirroring characters.

Started by Antelux, 18 June 2016 - 01:00 AM
Antelux #1
Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:00 AM
I'm not sure how feasible this idea is, but I might as well say it anyway.
Perhaps the ability to rotate and mirror characters could come in handy.

For example, being able to use a function such as term.mirror(boolean) would reflect every individual character that's written after the function is called over the y-axis, or "reverse" it. Doing so would would not only allow for more creative uses for characters, but would allow for more characters, since characters such as 16 and 17 (the arrow thing) could be mirrored, and therefore, eliminate the need for one of them, opening up the space to something else.

A similar thing could be done with rotating, or using a function like term.setOrientation(number Angle), allowing for more interesting uses of characters, and even eliminating the need for ones that become redundant once said function were to be eliminated (such as characters 30 and 31, which are more arrow stuffs).

Of course, the background pixel wouldn't be affected by reflections or rotations, simply the characters themselves. I think it could be a pretty neat little thing to do.
Edited on 18 June 2016 - 01:03 AM
Bomb Bloke #2
Posted 18 June 2016 - 08:57 AM
Each character stored in the terminal buffer would need an extra bit to track its mirroring status (or more bits if rotation is implemented). Those bits could instead be used to just straight-up multiply the size of the current character set - there are more than a few extra characters I can think of which'd be much more useful than mirrored/flipped/whatever versions of the current ones…
apemanzilla #3
Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:10 PM
Each character stored in the terminal buffer would need an extra bit to track its mirroring status (or more bits if rotation is implemented). Those bits could instead be used to just straight-up multiply the size of the current character set - there are more than a few extra characters I can think of which'd be much more useful than mirrored/flipped/whatever versions of the current ones…

I agree. Having twice as many characters available would be much better than just flipping the characters.
Antelux #4
Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:04 PM
-snip-
-snip-

I'm rather satisfied with the current amount of characters there are.
Honestly, I'd like to be able to use our current characters to the fullest rather than increase the amount we have.
It's sort of like the "adding more colors" argument. Sure, Dan could add a bunch more colors, but in CC2.0, we see him give us the ability to change the palette instead, which is similar to using what we already have to it's fullest.
Though, that isn't to say adding more characters can't be a suggestion for another post on the forums, though.
Edited on 18 June 2016 - 05:07 PM