This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
vico's profile picture

NEWS: Minecraft Forge just began to release alpha builds for 1.10

Started by vico, 23 June 2016 - 11:21 PM
vico #1
Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:21 AM
I hope the moderators do not consider this a update request. This post is just a informative about Forge development and a thread for anyone to share your thoughts about Forge developement in general.

Well guys, for anyone "Out of the Loop" in Minecraft Forge update history, 1.10 dev begin!

Its still (at the time this post was originally written) very incomplete and bugged builds, and you could find almost in realtime in the issues channel of Forge's Github repository the users reporting back the current bugs

As stated before, DON'T USE THIS ON PRODUCTION! RISK OF DATA LOSS! Only use these beta builds if you really want to help Forge developement.

And of course, as i said in small letters, don't pressure dan for update CC now for 1.10

From their Github I found one of major "political" changes was the requirement for everyone wanting to send a PR (aka code anything for Forge itself) of sign a Contributor License Agreement (CLA). Accordingly to cpw, the relicensing was necessary "Because the previous license had no legal standing and it was not crafted by expert lawyers. As such, it was not likely to be an easy proposition to defend it in court, were that to be necessary."

IMO clearly something still related to the Bukkit DMCA drama.

Ironically, the very same guy brought down Bukkit questioned the relicensing of Forge not a long time ago (search in the repo for the issue, now closed), I really hope Forge didnt find the same fate of Bukkit for lame lawman talk.

Anyway what are your thoughts about this new update for Forge and about the ways Forge dev is following? Comment below!

PS.: Will update this thread soon new information from Forge arrives! Stay tuned!
Edited on 23 June 2016 - 11:22 PM
LDDestroier #2
Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:43 AM
Long live forge! And sponge.
Bomb Bloke #3
Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:19 PM
Anyway what are your thoughts about this new update for Forge and about the ways Forge dev is following? Comment below!

If it's to prevent a repeat of the Bukkit fiasco, then I'm surprised it hasn't happened a lot sooner.

Since it looks like it'll achieve precisely that, then even if that wasn't the goal I'm surprised it took this long.
vico #4
Posted 25 June 2016 - 11:18 PM
Seems like Mojang is playing catch with the guys and release two more minor versions at this time :P/>

They are bugfixing versions, and i don't think if, like 1.7/1.8/1.9, these patches will be brought to the 1.10.0 by Forge.

If it's to prevent a repeat of the Bukkit fiasco, then I'm surprised it hasn't happened a lot sooner.

Since it looks like it'll achieve precisely that, then even if that wasn't the goal I'm surprised it took this long.

Looks like i overrated my English knowledge, in fact i failed to see what's going on the issue made by the guy who brought down Bukkit (mentioned in OP).

In fact, he tried to frustrate the re-release to LGPL Forge plans adding additional licenses to his own patches.

The solution found by LexManos was simple: he removed ALL his contribuitions. The guy was very angry and rage-quit. I laughed a lot.

Additionaly, the re-release brought some chaos to the build server (now fixed).
Bomb Bloke #5
Posted 26 June 2016 - 06:39 AM
In fact, he tried to frustrate the re-release to LGPL Forge plans adding additional licenses to his own patches.

Not exactly, and he couldn't do that if he wanted to. He merely tried to clarify which license already applied to them.

He would've been expecting the response, so his follow-up comments were unnecessary sour grapes. Heck, if he wasn't expecting his "good working code" to be evicted then his concerns about "ego" would be particularly ironic, as that would suggest he thought no one would be able to replace it so quickly.