This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
LDDestroier's profile picture

Progdor - An even easier way to bundle a folder into one file

Started by LDDestroier, 29 July 2016 - 11:45 PM
LDDestroier #1
Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:45 AM
After looking at Depman by CloudNinja, I figured "Hey, I've never tried this before." Why not give it a go?
Programmed over the course of about an hour, I give you…

PROGDOR

Burninating the competition since 2006

pastebin get YXx5jjMV progdor
std ld progdor progdor

Use progdor on a folder, and it will turn it into a file (defaultly by the same name)
Use progdor on that same file, and it will turn back into a folder (also defaultly by that same name)

Compression using CCA is enabled by default, but can be disabled by changing the 'doCompress' to false.

Screenshots:
SpoilerPackaged '/rom' into '/the_rom'

Contents of 'the_rom', because it's compressed (if it's 'true', then it's an empty folder)
Edited on 05 August 2016 - 05:43 AM
Lewisk3 #2
Posted 30 July 2016 - 09:12 AM
There is no compression, because that is hard. Forget about encryption. It does support empty folders, though, so that's something.

there is a simple solution for compressing, replace all spaces with byte(0) its a little smaller than byte(32) :)/>
Lol, i have started learning Assembly and stuff and now i realize what Lignum said. As 0 is still interpreted as an ASCII (8bit char) by computercraft.
Edited on 23 September 2016 - 12:00 AM
Lignum #3
Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:37 PM
there is a simple solution for compressing, replace all spaces with byte(0) its a little smaller than byte(32) :)/>

No it's not, a byte takes up 1 byte no matter what value it bears.
LDDestroier #4
Posted 30 July 2016 - 06:50 PM
I don't see compression as completely necessary, but if I find an easy compression API, I'll be sure to try to implement it. As long as it's lossless. Like, doesn't remove whitespace or something.
minizbot2012 #5
Posted 30 July 2016 - 09:22 PM
Why not take a look at the functions from CCA? (LZW compression w/ clear code) you'd simply copy the first 127 lines, then call compress (string to compress) which returns a table of bytes. Call decompress(table of bytes) to decompress.

(Also shameless self advertising)
Edited on 30 July 2016 - 07:25 PM
LDDestroier #6
Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:46 PM
I tried CCA, failed, gave up, then realized what I might've done wrong just now.
You may see CCA in the next update. I'll have to include some metadata in packages, however. I can work that out.

This also assumes that CCA has a good enough compression ratio to bother with.
LDDestroier #7
Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:28 PM
An update!

I have added CCA compression to PROGDOR! Due to the changes, if you packaged a folder with a previous version, you'll need to add a line reading "false" to the top of the file, so that PROGDOR knows it's not compressed.

By the way, compression is toggled with a local variable called 'doCompress'. If true, it compresses. Regardless, if a package is compressed and doCompress = false, it will still decompress because it is cool like that.

EDIT:
Apparently textutils.serialize() would turn certain special characters into an escape sequence, so I quickly added a function to fix that when writing files.
Edited on 31 July 2016 - 08:51 PM
randomdude999 #8
Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:17 PM
Encryption isn't that hard too, there are like 3 AES APIs out there. A good one is by SquidDev (Topic).
LDDestroier #9
Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:40 PM
The problem isn't whether or not I could do it. It just doesn't seem that useful.

Another thing, is that Progdor doesn't like huge amounts of files. I don't know where to put that yield() function to prevent it from crashing, or worse, shutting down and outputting an empty file.
LDDestroier #10
Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:04 AM
An update!

I found the problem as to why progdor crashes after compressing large amounts of files. After compressing, it would filter out any escape sequences that would crop up with a function called 'fixstr'. Turns out, that function was horribly inefficient. After looking up cryptic stuff with string.gsub(), I fixed that.

…and I added verbose output. With colors!

Still, if you put in a file that's way too big to compress, it'll crash. Thankfully, it won't delete anything.
Edited on 15 August 2016 - 06:10 PM
Luca_S #11
Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:57 AM
You could make it even better if you would make it only 1 string per file also you might want to look into modifying the serialization to not include the newlines and spaces.
LDDestroier #12
Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:57 AM
You could make it even better if you would make it only 1 string per file also you might want to look into modifying the serialization to not include the newlines and spaces.

That's not possible, I don't think. Compressing a file adds newlines, and removing them might mess with it. Newlines are characters, too!
Luca_S #13
Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:21 AM
I know, but what i mean is this:

You store it like this currently:

{
["filename"] = {
"Line1",
"Line2"
}
}
Why don't you store it like this:

{
["filename"] = "Line1\nLine2"
}
You can just do

f = fs.open(file,"r")
files[file] = f.readAll()
f.close()
Bomb Bloke #14
Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:45 AM
FWIW, texutils.unserialise() can deal with strings such as "\"first line\\nsecond line\"" for you. Unfortunately I can't seem to get textutils.serialise() to create such strings - at least, not through Mimic.

(Remember, those functions can deal with objects other than tables!)

Though I'm not sure I see the need to avoid new line characters - I'm sure lots of different characters appear in the compression stream.

Edit:

Come to think of it, textutils.urlEncode() is probably what I was thinking of.
Edited on 20 August 2016 - 06:47 AM
LDDestroier #15
Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:41 AM
You know, I just realized I could just use [[ and ]] for multiline strings. Why didn't I use them before…? I wonder if it'd mess with programs with multiline strings inside them.
Lyqyd #16
Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:00 PM
You could examine the text looking for the maximum block quote level and then surround it with block quotes one level greater.
Gorzoid #17
Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:19 PM
If you used a binary file instead of a serialized table you could shorten it down alot more. For example, f.write(filename.."\0"..toBytes(file)..file) where toBytes returns a 4 byte string representing the filesize.
LDDestroier #18
Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:18 PM
You could examine the text looking for the maximum block quote level and then surround it with block quotes one level greater.
That sounds complicated, and I'm a lazy bastard. I had a function that goes through the file to replace all instances of "\***" with string.char(***), and for big files, that takes far too long. I since replaced the code with a clever string.gsub(), but I'm supposing that code to analyze quote level will take too long for my purposes.

If you used a binary file instead of a serialized table you could shorten it down alot more. For example, f.write(filename.."\0"..toBytes(file)..file) where toBytes returns a 4 byte string representing the filesize.
That doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I'm not so sure that I could turn compressed files into binaries. And I don't think it preserves comments.

I know, but what i mean is this:

You store it like this currently:

{
["filename"] = {
"Line1",
"Line2"
}
}
Why don't you store it like this:

{
["filename"] = "Line1\nLine2"
}
You can just do

f = fs.open(file,"r")
files[file] = f.readAll()
f.close()

That IS a good idea. HMM…
Lyqyd #19
Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:28 PM
Uhh,

local max = 0
for match in string.gmatch(fileContents, "%](=*)%]" do
  max = math.max(max, #match)
end

local quotedContents = "["..string.rep("=", max + 1).."["..fileContents.."]"..string.rep("=", max + 1).."]"

Yeah, that's waaay too complicated.
LDDestroier #20
Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:08 PM
Uhh,

local max = 0
end

local quotedContents = "["..string.rep("=", max + 1).."["..fileContents.."]"..string.rep("=", max + 1).."]"

…lazy bastard I am. Also, um, I've never touched the string.gmatch function, and didn't know you could do "for match", so pooh pooh on me. Personally, I think the whole string.gsub/gmatch patterns are complicated, and I never could remember them.

Lesson for today is to look at every Lua function ever. Anyway, I tried to replace all instances of "\n" with "\\n" so it could fit on one line, but…it didn't work. Looking in one of the files, I saw an instance of "\\n", when I expected "\n"…and I haven't the slightest idea why.
Luca_S #21
Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:44 AM
Uhh,

local max = 0
end

Even if you don't remove the newlines and stuff from serialization you could save a lot of space by saving a whole file into only one string, not into multiple strings(1 per line).

I asked someone who has a function to serialize something without the formatting if he has any problems with releasing it.