This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
FoxData's profile picture

Is/Will text to phoneme be possible in CC?

Started by FoxData, 02 August 2016 - 06:49 PM
FoxData #1
Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:49 PM
Just wondering, Things like DECTalk and Software automatic mouth used it. What about making it in CC is it possible? Will it be possible in Craftos 2.0?

PS: CallText5010 also used it
Edited on 02 August 2016 - 06:51 PM
SquidDev #2
Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:33 PM
If you mean text to speech then Peripherals++ provides a speaker which allows just that.
FoxData #3
Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:49 PM
If you mean text to speech then Peripherals++ provides a speaker which allows just that.
What about in vanilla CC?
Anavrins #4
Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:51 PM
It's not possible in vanilla cc, stuff like this should be made with cc-mods.
Cranium #5
Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:21 AM
Moved to Suggestions.
Luca_S #6
Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:05 PM
Also this will probably never be in CC vanilla, even CC 2.0 only supports beeping at different frequencies.
FoxData #7
Posted 05 August 2016 - 12:46 AM
Also this will probably never be in CC vanilla, even CC 2.0 only supports beeping at different frequencies.

You could do it but it will be the most unintelligible TTS synthesizer ever,

If you could code a few hundred lines of code to make beeping phonemes somehow
Luca_S #8
Posted 05 August 2016 - 11:09 AM

How do you want to make TTS using beeps lol.
FoxData #9
Posted 05 August 2016 - 12:41 PM

How do you want to make TTS using beeps lol.

beep beeeep beeep bep
Lupus590 #10
Posted 05 August 2016 - 03:08 PM
Morse code?
TheRockettek #11
Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:31 PM
.–. .-.. . .- … . / -.. — -. - / ..- … . / – — .-. … . / -.-. — -.. .
FoxData #12
Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:05 PM
Morse code?
No, I mean synthesizing phonemes with beeps
Lupus590 #13
Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:17 PM
So R2-D2
HaddockDev #14
Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:15 PM
You could make a native library for it in C or something with the right includes, then tell Java to use the library and include it in the LuaJ globals as a function.
Tiin57 #15
Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:57 AM
You could make a native library for it in C or something with the right includes, then tell Java to use the library and include it in the LuaJ globals as a function.

Why wouldn't you just use Java? Have you ever tried to use JNI? It's not worth the hassle for something like this.
HaddockDev #16
Posted 08 October 2016 - 12:28 AM

Why wouldn't you just use Java? Have you ever tried to use JNI? It's not worth the hassle for something like this.
Completely forgot about JNI.
as of now i'm only coming across the following
There are some library's out for this, such as FreeTTS and you might have luck in embedding it into the jar,
but there might be some licensing issues so I just suggested to write a C API that could be multiplatform :lol:/> I can be stupid at times

JNI would probably be the best but, it has to be multiplatform and not everything includes a TTS engine. I know for one thing Linux doesn't have
one by default (unless its in the flavor your using), but Mac and Windows I know have it but they probably use different engine APIs.
jv110 #17
Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:36 AM
Just to add, it's possible to emit sound with vanilla CC, but it's very limited (using noteblocks; it's really hard to approximate human voice with musical notes).