This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
bethsheba's profile picture

Nuclear Reactor Thought

Started by bethsheba, 21 July 2012 - 02:11 AM
bethsheba #1
Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:11 AM
Hello so i am new to using computer craft as i have just started to use tekkie and have a few questions that i figured would ask people that know what they are doing for help? So lets get started i am curious if it is possible to i believe write a program or script to control my nuclear reactors and display their information on a monitor that is connected to a computer. I will probably need help wiring everything correctly on tekkit also but i am learning as i go. I am not sure if any of this is possible but here is what i am looking to be displayed.

-Time of day
-reactor name (Reactor 1 or 2)
-Whether or not the reactor is on (True/False)
-How much power it is producing
-Temperature of the reactor
-And then a fail safe that if the reactor is overheating that it will automatically turn off and send a signal to a piston so it releases water.
-All of it to be scrolling from right to left if possible

I know that this is a lot of information on how to do and am not sure if it is even possible but i like to think big and any and all help is welcome and greatly appreciated. If anyone knows if this is possible or knows some of how to do it please post below and i will do my part to continue learning so i don't have to put it all on someone else.

Once again thanks for any response.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Darky_Alan #2
Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:22 AM
This is completely possible, a bit complicated, but possible, this is also coincidencially the project I'm working on.

- Don't think you have a way to see how much power it's producing.
- There are blocks to measure temperature that send a signal when x temperature has been reached.
- I'd suggest keeping your reactors submerged 24/7
- What do you mean by it scrolling from right to left?
Noodle #3
Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:50 PM
You would have to use TONS of redstone wiring and a computer loop for the events on os.time().
c43zsQYbsw3YhXBC #4
Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:39 PM
This is completely possible, a bit complicated, but possible, this is also the coincidencially project I'm working on.

- Don't think you have a way to see how much power it's producing.
- There are blocks to measure temperature that send a signal when x temperature has been reached.
- I'd suggest keeping your reactors submerged 24/7
- What do you mean by it scrolling from right to left?

One could use a MFS/MFE to output redstone signals when they are full/empty/50%. I'm not very advanced with computercraft but I assume one could input the redstone to a computer. Atleast this is a possible way one could see how much power has been produced/used and so on. Just throwing it out there, so don't hate me if it's stupid.
Darky_Alan #5
Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:23 PM
SpoilerOne could use a MFS/MFE to output redstone signals when they are full/empty/50%. I'm not very advanced with computercraft but I assume one could input the redstone to a computer. Atleast this is a possible way one could see how much power has been produced/used and so on. Just throwing it out there, so don't hate me if it's stupid.

My idea on this is MFSU's can output a redstone signal on several options, in my case I have a line of MFSU's , the first one int he line is usually the one which is empitying or filling, when full have it output a signal to turn off the reactors, makes it easy for me to keep track and not waste energy.
bethsheba #6
Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:56 AM
So this is what my current setup looks like when you look at the second picture the first thing i need to figure out is how to connect a cable to something that will turn on or off the nuclear reactor. I have tried to attach a lever but for some reason you can't attach them anymore, and a wire connected doesn't turn it on or off to my knowledge. Alan how do you have your connected?

Also if anyone has any advice on how to learn to make menus in the computer craft screen please let me know so i can start making one.

Noodle i hope I'm not asking for to much but how do i make an event that displays the value true when the computer receives a signal from a wire? I have one connected to the EU Detector cable and then to a wired back to the computer how do i make that event? Is their a tutorial i should watch or read?

Darky_Alan #7
Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:07 PM
Again, bro that should be submerged in water.
Noodle #8
Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:13 AM
I can just imagine that blowing up and all your hard work going to waste.. PUT THEM IN WATER, just saying.
bethsheba #9
Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:19 AM
Above them is a water basin that is wired to two sticky pistons that when the temperature gauges give off a red power signal it opens them and the entire room fills with water. So it is perfectly safe still.

Does anyone know how to turn the reactor on and off using red power?
Noodle #10
Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:39 AM
You can't unless you use pipes..
Darky_Alan #11
Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:00 AM
You can't unless you use pipes..

I gave up.
Gotta let Darwinism do it's thing every once in a while.
bethsheba #12
Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:11 PM
Noodle can you elaborate please?
Noodle #13
Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:16 PM
Use pipes to take the uranium cells out and put back in.
You can't stop a nuclear reactor without taking out the uranium cells.
bethsheba #14
Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:56 PM
do i need to use pneumatic pipes?
Noodle #15
Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:52 PM
Yes, those are the best and suggested for this.
Darky_Alan #16
Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:06 AM
Yes, those are the best and suggested for this.

Only issue with this is that it'll place the cells at random, rather than make an effective placement mapping to keep the coolant cells and heat dispersers balanced through the reactor. Latching a pipe onto it will just make it place them into any random empty space.

That being said you could just map out the coolant cells and heat dispersers then leave the empty slots for the uranium cells.

SIDE NOTE:
You can't stop a nuclear reactor without taking out the uranium cells.

Yes you can, just have a redstone signal hit it. If a signal is ON it turns the reactor OFF and vice versa, in my set up I have a redstone torch hidden right under the base of the reactor, since it's not automated yet, when I need to turn it off I just flip a switch, using the torch as an inverter.
Noodle #17
Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:30 AM
1: Pipes will place them in an order.. Just have them sent in that special order.
2: Rly? I tried before (1.2.5) and it doesn't work? Tekkit version?
Darky_Alan #18
Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:05 AM
1: Pipes will place them in an order.. Just have them sent in that special order.
2: Rly? I tried before (1.2.5) and it doesn't work? Tekkit version?

Worked fine for me in 1.2.5, we recently upgraded to 1.3.something make a reactor, start it up and wire a redstone line to it then to a switch. once you place the uranium in it will turn on b default, but flip the switch and you should be able to turn it on/off. Might run into the issue where the sound glitches to ON but it's actually turned off.
Noodle #19
Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:26 AM
I see, I updated my client and it worked.. I hate that you have to go onto the site to get the next update (Tekkit 1, 2, 3).