This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
minecraftspare's profile picture

file extention

Started by minecraftspare, 21 July 2012 - 04:26 PM
minecraftspare #1
Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:26 PM
i have been playing with computercraft for a while now and i love it but i prefer to edit the lua code in notepad++ but it wont open them easly because the files in save/computercraft dont have a file extention

could you pleases edit the mod so that it saves the data in the world/computercraft folder with an extention like .cc or something like so that i and others who use an external text editor can open the files with notepad++ automaticaly
Cloudy #2
Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:59 PM
Is it so hard to right click on the file and press "Edit with Notepad++"? :)/>/>
inventor2514 #3
Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:01 PM
If you'd really to use file extensions, you could modify the edit and shell programs from ROM to use a .lua extension. I have an Extension API that might help with that.
Noodle #4
Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:55 AM
.lua and then Choose Default Program then Notepad++
-.- Right clicking always works.
Darky_Alan #5
Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:34 AM
OR you can always just open notepad++ and LITERALLY drag and drop the file onto an open untitled project.
minecraftspare #6
Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:33 PM
oh ok i didnt have notepad++ installed properly at the time i know it is a year ago but i forgot about the post :(/> i now have my own pc and admin rights so i can install software with right click options on files but thanks for the edit shell sugestion i have been playing with it a little
Alice #7
Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:23 PM
You could've just done edit main.lua to make the program
Don't revive dead posts from over a year just to say you have a new computer :P/>
Buho #8
Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:53 AM
Yeah, I think computers will run programs with extensions just fine, the exception being the "startup" program. Run "chopTree.lua".

What I've done is set Notepad++ to interpret Lua as the default language if no file extension is present. Right-click programs, Edit with Notepad++. Or drag & drop. Not a problem.
robhol #9
Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:12 PM
http://superuser.com/questions/566814/how-to-associate-extensionless-files-in-windows-7 this is what I did, along with setting up automatic syntax highlighting in Sublime Text 2.
Left4Cake #10
Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:01 AM
Yeah, I think computers will run programs with extensions just fine, the exception being the "startup" program. Run "chopTree.lua".

You could also make a start up like this

shell.run("startup.cc")

Now I wouldn't mine if Lua tried to run "program" and then "program.lua" (Like how dos would run wc.exe when you input wc) but other then any use of file extensions in CraftOS seems stupid to me.
Edited on 27 February 2014 - 03:05 AM