This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Old Starchy's profile picture

Keep chunks with computers loaded

Started by Old Starchy, 21 September 2016 - 02:34 AM
Old Starchy #1
Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:34 AM
Recently I've been looking for a mod that would allow turtles/computers to keep chunks loaded so that they don't need baby sitting.

I've found a few chunk loader mods that add chunk loading blocks or peripherals, however don't want to use a chunk loader block or peripheral as it would be a hassle to make and place them everywhere (albeit only slightly), and would also require the clients to install the mod.
Is there such a mod that would turn the computers and turtles themselves into 1x1 chunk loaders? Since its only affecting the loaded chunks and not adding any extra blocks / items, I'm hoping it would be a server side only mod.

The server I'm running is quite small, so there won't be any memory problems with too many computers running. Should that become an issue perhaps the chunk loading ability could be turned on and off per computer (ie.
os.keepChunkLoaded(false)
).

If no such mod exists, consider this also a request to see if anyone would be willing to make one, surely I'm not the only one who wants this.
Lupus590 #2
Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:39 PM
chunk loading breaks the fourth wall, something dan200 likes to avoid (IIRC)
it could end up in the config as the fourth wall is already broken by the fact that your editing the way the world works through a text document, but that would be impractical for per computer.

I'd stick to the peripherals and other mods.
apemanzilla #3
Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:14 PM
Actually I feel that the absence of chunkloading breaks the fourth wall. If computers passively chunkloaded while running programs by default, it would make more sense than them randomly restarting every time you walk away.

I doubt this would be implemented due to the potential for abuse on servers, but it would be nice.
TheRockettek #4
Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:49 PM
If you have thermal expansion, you can use an autonomous activator :D/>
Lupus590 #5
Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:15 PM
If you have thermal expansion, you can use an autonomous activator :D/>

The issue is that they turn off in the first place, not that they don't turn on. (Although that is a known bug)
TheRockettek #6
Posted 23 September 2016 - 07:52 AM
Actually I feel that the absence of chunkloading breaks the fourth wall. If computers passively chunkloaded while running programs by default, it would make more sense than them randomly restarting every time you walk away.

I doubt this would be implemented due to the potential for abuse on servers, but it would be nice.

Could be like for advanced computers only and disabled by default in the config
Edited on 23 September 2016 - 01:32 PM
Ilikemlp123 #7
Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:04 PM
there really should be a config option for this.