This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
TyDoesMC's profile picture

[Coming Soon] [WIP] [Beta Testers Needed] CC-Android

Started by TyDoesMC, 14 December 2016 - 03:06 AM
TyDoesMC #1
Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:06 AM
CC-Android
—————

CC-Android will be an app and API for CC and android.
The app is going to be very powerful to the extent of automating your phone.
You're going to be able to send notifications to your phone with custom text and titles.
Almost like an Text Msg.
Keep up with your OS's crashes and bugs automatically sent to your phone.
The first beta release will only be available until I can finish the app and API to a decent
quality in features.

Features to come
———————

1. Send files, images, data (text) to your phone from the API.
2. Automate your phone*
3. Automate CC with your phone*
4. Send text to CC*
Disclaimer: '*' means this will not be in the first few releases. To use the API or the APP you will need to have an internet connection.
Some features may be for donors/Patreons.

Development progress
—————————–

As of right now, I am waiting for the holidays to end before working on the app and API.
This is just a future project I plan to work on in my spare time. so if you'd like to help;
[email="tylerseymour14@gmail.com"]hit me up[/email] . Don't expect a public release until atleast February.

License
———-

Any editing of my code is not allowed.
Any re-posting of edited or non edited code is not allowed.
You may view the code of the API but any publication of exploits, bugs etc is not allowed.
Edited on 14 December 2016 - 03:08 AM
クデル #2
Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:50 AM
I highly doubt people would be willing to donate real money for a ComputerCraft program.
TheRockettek #3
Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:48 AM
So it should be able to send actual messages to our phone? But why do we need that…
Bomb Bloke #4
Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:03 AM
I highly doubt people would be willing to donate real money for a ComputerCraft program.

I highly doubt he suggested otherwise.
Pyuu #5
Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:51 AM
I prefer it when projects like this are made and announced, they at least demonstrate a proof of concept or some code to show.
'Bigger' projects that have been announced in the past (in not just CC, but anywhere frankly) usually never make it past the announcement stage if they have nothing to show.

Anyways, this kind of a project seems cool to do, but with the license terms it seems like this is being designed as a commercial project. And a commercial project using CC I doubt is allowed, maybe just using Lua? I don't know, I'm just thinking too much about it I guess.

From what I get from your post, this 'app' will run on CC (using the http api I presume) and will also run on android to receive information from your computer to be able to interact with the phone. Such as the send texts feature of it. Thinking of the implementation and coding aspect of this kind of a project, I imagine you'll be calling the HTTP api a lot and may even require peripherals attached to allow this to work properly, in which case, where will the program on the CC end of things be connecting? Your server? Local internet? Another server that the end-user has to rent or buy?

I believe the biggest of the issues here is how the networking will take place, how often it'll send signals, what servers it will connect to, the amount of control and access each end has (the CC program and the app on the phone), etc.

Now, another question is: What's the practicality of using such a thing? Since you're suggesting that this program is donation worthy, it must have some sort of practical use to really give reason for donation purposes since this is an application after all.

So many questions…
MrScamander #6
Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:24 PM
Can i be a tester? ^-^