This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
RedNeckSnailSpit's profile picture

Biggest app you've made/installed?

Started by RedNeckSnailSpit, 13 May 2017 - 06:26 AM
RedNeckSnailSpit #1
Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:26 AM
I was looking into the ComputerCraft config not to long ago, and I noticed that the standard memory limit for a computer is 1MB. After I've installed a few apps on a PC, I haven't even reached the 10KB mark.

So my question is: What's the biggest app you've got? How common is it to every fill the entire 1'000'000 bytes of memory available?
Exerro #2
Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:37 AM
Some of the larger graphics/GUI APIs often hit the 200-300KB mark. If you've got a few of those on the same computer, as well as your own code, it can get close. One of my GUI frameworks compiled itself for every project that used it (for reasons I won't go into), so that hit the limit and left me confused as to why these things were breaking all of a sudden.

I've also messed up some logging features to the point that they spammed thousands of lines every second, so, unsurprisingly, that broke after not too long.
Lupus590 #3
Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:06 AM
While not big at the moment, I imagine that Hive will end up being quite large as CC programs go.
Piorjade #4
Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:34 PM
In CC: cLinux w/ the dirty implementation of doorX

IRL: GTA V / Witcher 3
LDDestroier #5
Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:32 PM
My biggest CC program is 87.69 kilobytes, and it's my GPS Minimap, so I really could do with rewriting it with my newfound skillz (this was back in 2015). The next biggest program is about half that, PAIN.
Bomb Bloke #6
Posted 14 May 2017 - 02:21 AM
Most of my space issues have been with data files. When testing my animation code I crammed my system with GIFs (set it up to load them one after the other and log any crashes so's I could fix 'em), and discovered that no matter what you put in ComputerCraft.cfg, the maximum upper limit before the fs API blocks further writes is a billion bytes.
KingofGamesYami #7
Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:24 AM
According to pastebin, Infinity Loop is the largest program I've written, at 20.35 KB or 573 lines.
oeed #8
Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:31 AM
I was actually really struggling with this when making OneOS. I can't remember exactly but from memory I think a full install used about 80% of the computer's capacity, so that's about 800KB. Issues where the computer ran out of space when updating started happening. In then end I think I had to start removing programs as I was reluctant to obfuscate the code. It was still usable though.

As a side note, the source for Silica is about 400KB and the source code for Quartz is 900KB, excluding Silica which it depends on. So basically it'd be impossible to fit it on a CC computer without changing the limit which kinda sucks for trying to port it. It might change with the new Luo compiler to be smaller, but it'd imagine it'll be bigger unfortunately.
Edited on 15 May 2017 - 08:35 AM
LDDestroier #9
Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:20 PM
…as I was reluctant to obfuscate the code.

Could you have had an option to obfuscate the code after installation, in the settings?? That might've worked…
DannySMc #10
Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:40 PM
My largest would most likely be the Discover App Store; which is at like 243KB which was 6857 lines.
oeed #11
Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:35 AM
…as I was reluctant to obfuscate the code.

Could you have had an option to obfuscate the code after installation, in the settings?? That might've worked…

Possibly, I did want to avoid obfuscating IIRC so errors (which were reporting automatically and rather common) could be fixed easier though.
DIES #12
Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:06 PM

As a side note, the source for Silica is about 400KB and the source code for Quartz is 900KB, excluding Silica which it depends on. So basically it'd be impossible to fit it on a CC computer without changing the limit which kinda sucks for trying to port it. It might change with the new Luo compiler to be smaller, but it'd imagine it'll be bigger unfortunately.

It's not a gigabyte, not even 5mb. Changing limit for using something cool that just few mb bigger or stay with basic boring things is obvious choice for me. Anyway this limit is too small for a really good OS with many features and pretty GUI. You can't just install OS X in Android tablet pc even if it theoretically supported it.