This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
sonic_overlord25's profile picture

Adding Zip Disks

Started by sonic_overlord25, 07 June 2017 - 05:22 AM
sonic_overlord25 #1
Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:22 AM
So I've got an idea. CC is basically a mod that is themed in the 1980's, hence the floppy disks and CLI (Command Line Interface). Though there have been requests for HDDs and whatnot for different storage mediums, I would like to make a request along that line. I know the typical solution is to just adjust the config file, but I personally like the challenge of working within the confines of what has been given, and sometimes, the computer/floppy disk just doesn't cut it.

I would like to suggest adding a zip disk. For those of you who are unaware of what a zip disk is, it's basically a really big floppy disk (not so much physically, but storage wise). Ranging in real life from 100MB, to 750MB, zip disks were the next step from the 3.5 inch floppy disk. I'm unsure what the size of this said zip disk would be for CC, but it should be no larger than that of the computer, but for sure larger than a floppy disk. Also, to make it an easy addition, it could be compatible with the disk drive included in CC.

The addition of the zip disk would be both proper in the context of this mod, being that a zip disk is just a larger floppy disk, and it would allow players a slightly larger, portable, storage medium for in-game use, without having to edit the config file, and without it being OP, like an HDD could be.

I know CC doesn't aim for overt realism, but it would be cool to see some variety in the storage medium area of this mod.

Here's some links to view if you'd like on Zip Disks
Zip Drive
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_drive

Zip Disk By Floppy Disk Comparison
http://core0.staticworld.net/images/article/2015/01/zip-disk-01-100564994-large.jpg

Cheers!
Bomb Bloke #2
Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:34 AM

They're a fair bit thicker than that image would make them appear. Note the shadows at the base of the disks.

My main memories of using those things were "click click click click click…". They're apparently the first medium to coin the phrase "click of death".

An alternative suggestion: CDs. When this medium was first introduced, their capacity tended to at least double that of the average HDD. Catch is most systems could only read them, not write to them, and even if they had writing capability each disc could typically only be written to once (unless multisession burning was used, but not every burning package offered that…).
sonic_overlord25 #3
Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:46 AM
I've always wanted to use Zip Disks, but my DOS computer doesn't have the drivers necessary from what I can tell, and I'm unsure where to get them (I use FreeDOS). Anyhow, the CD would be a great alternative since it would still technically be inserted into a disk drive, and is roughly the same thickness as a diskette. Also, since the disk drive recognizes records just fine, I would think CDs could work also.

The writing capability you mention could be beneficial in CC on servers. Maybe one could distribute software through CDs?
Lupus590 #4
Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:44 AM
perhaps have a crafting recipe for the CD to allow the player to wipe it but also allow them to write to it again (if we are going for write once disks)
Edited on 07 June 2017 - 09:44 AM
sonic_overlord25 #5
Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:15 PM
Maybe a recipe for creating a disk could be a paper in the center, and four pieces of redstone dust, arranged similar to that of a compass or clock. To wipe the disk, I suppose one could just omit the paper and place the disk in the center.
pb2007 #6
Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:40 PM
Perhaps any disk drive can read from CDs, but you need a special CD burner to write to them. Obviously, the crafting recipe for a CD and CD burner would be end game. Zip disks sound cool though, and maybe they could be about middle-end game? Kind of like maybe Nether but not the End.

Maybe zip disks could be crafted with nether quartz and iron, and CDs could be crafted with end stone and glass?