This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Laserman34170's profile picture

[Dead]Computer Networking with LazerNet[Dead]

Started by Laserman34170, 25 July 2012 - 07:25 PM
Laserman34170 #1
Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:25 PM
LazerNet

Connect to networks, servers, and communcicate over long distances with email, instant messaging, and internet relay chat. Share files over your personal network and view web pages in a browser and request services such as banking, password storage, and store files in a safe cloud manager, from servers. This is LazerNet.

Hi, I'm making a Computer Craft networking program suite, and when its finished, it'll be amazing! Constant updates will be fed to this topic in case there's a software update, I have some new ideas, I need to credit a contributor, or if I have a problem that I would like for you to help fixing.

About:
Routers have a protected and unprotected setting
Computers can have their modems on any side
Classic argument-style (no GUI) programs for basic networking tasks

Current Features: (most uncompleted)
Spoiler- discover (find available networks)
- connect (connect to networks)
- setup (allows for a versatile "pref" file, for dynamic modem position)
- router (code for the router)
Planned Features:
Spoiler- servers (send and receive requests)
- email (messages)
- instant messaging/irc/chat (collaboration)
- browser (run code from special "web" servers)
- antivirus (browser plug-in to prevent malicious code from being run/made)
- file sharing (upload and download files on your network router)

How you can help:
Spoiler- Fixing/reporting software bugs
- Developing more software (make sure the rednet messages are compatible with my current setup)
- Spreading the word (tell your friends and other Minecraft players)
- Downloading/beta-testing software (use it, its good)
- Spotting grammatical errors
- Designing a banner/logo for the project, mine is just a placeholder(you will be given credit in the project)

Please read the documentation.html file included in the download, and only post questions you couldn't find in the docs. Hopefully someone else can solve you're problem, and if not, I'll answer it. Also, installation information is included in the documentation.html.

In this download, there is all the code, completed or otherwise, and the documentation.html file.

Download:Removed :)/>/>

Major Contributors:
Spoiler

class theTeam(){
	mainDev = Laserman34170;
}
class otherPeoples(){
	bugReports = Malte;
}
Tiin57 #2
Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:40 PM
How are these networks going to be accomplished?
Lyqyd #3
Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:18 AM
Your "router" program doesn't really route, as far as I can tell. Also, all of the features you advertise in your byline are planned, not complete.
odd_kid #4
Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:08 PM
Sounds VERY promising! ill be waiting and wanting it very bad! Keep it up!
ETHANATOR360 #5
Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:34 AM
i have a suggestion the ability to hide networks from other computers for more secure connections because its harder to hack a server if you dont know it even exists
ETHANATOR360 #6
Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:40 AM
ill try and plant bugs in the network and try and see if i can code and internal firewall of sorts
ETHANATOR360 #7
Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:56 AM
if you dont mind i would like to use this as my host server software for my netflix program im working on and i will give you credit
Malte #8
Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:54 PM
Bugreports:

- If you run the setupfile in a subfolder then the pref-file contents: "side=folder/folder/top". The other Programs crash with an "Invalide side"-Error.
- If someone tries to enter letters for the Router ID the Connect-Program crashes. In Line 14 of connect, please convert the tArgs[1] to an number. (local sRouter = tonumber(shell.resolve(tArgs[1])) My brain hurts…
- Router crashes if the Computer is not labeled!
Laserman34170 #9
Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:23 PM
Bugreports:

- If you run the setupfile in a subfolder then the pref-file contents: "side=folder/folder/top". The other Programs crash with an "Invalide side"-Error.
- If someone tries to enter letters for the Router ID the Connect-Program crashes. In Line 14 of connect, please convert the tArgs[1] to an number. (local sRouter = tonumber(shell.resolve(tArgs[1])) My brain hurts…
- Router crashes if the Computer is not labeled!
Thank you for noticing these problems, most will be fixed in the next update.
if you dont mind i would like to use this as my host server software for my netflix program im working on and i will give you credit
No, I don't mind on using this software as long as there is recognition I made it. Thanks for reminding me to put a copyright
thing about permissions and other stuff.
EDIT: Nevermind, I'm too lazy for that :P/>/>
i have a suggestion the ability to hide networks from other computers for more secure connections because its harder to hack a server if you dont know it even exists
Yes, great idea that I may possibly add in the future, thanks for the support of this difficult project!
johnbanq #10
Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:29 AM
EPIC!
i am sure its going to be awesome in the future! :(/>/>
but,may i ask,its that possible to communicate between routers?
(you know,sometimes you have to build a huge network with more than one routers)
[PS:i am not a native english speaker,maybe i will make some small grammer mistakes,and i will apologize for that]