This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
KingMachine's profile picture

I'm hosting a server.

Started by KingMachine, 26 July 2012 - 02:49 AM
KingMachine #1
Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:49 AM
However, I am not public yet. It's still running on my laptop (don't worry, I've got 4 gigs of ram and an intel duo core 2.2, it handles two servers just fine with about 5 people). However before going public I would like to get a staff secured. Meeting people through the server for staff is a bad idea. It's better to just try people out, get to know them before hand, then ease in the players.

I am looking for 2 or 3 moderators who would like to help me build and think pre-release. Afterwards continue helping me think until we can get popular, at which time they would become admins. I have two ambitious projects that will require high end server rentals. I want to have between 50-100 people playing on either of my "worlds" (they're separate servers in actuality, one is full tekkit minus EE, the other is ironchests,redpower2, computercraft) at any given time.

I need a strong staff for that. One capable of making decisions like firing mods, problem solving, customer service and a level of intelligence that doesn't have me questioning what in the hell they're saying. Fluency in english is an absolute requirement as I, and most other people, don't enjoy decoding what other people have said. I'm incredibly intolerant of stupidity as well. Intelligent people can be stupid too. When I say stupidity I mean things like spawning 50 cows just because it would look cool. It's not ok. Accidents are one thing, intentional bullshit is inexcusably not allowed.

I would like to be able to voice chat with my staff for quicker and more concise communications, that means I don't want to listen to squeaky 14 year olds. I want people who can speak clearly and effectively. Everyday voice chat is not a requirement, but at least once a week to communicate everything that's happened over the past 7 days or so as a team meeting type of thing. This would be admins only. No players, No mods. Except for the first 3-4 staff.

The ideas for my servers are pretty big like I said. The first server is going to be what I call a dark, modern, controversial rpg. In a settings where there are two classes of people. One of those classes of people makes money for us in real life, thus we treat them with more respect, more dignity, better in game experience overall. The other class, plays for free, completely unhindered by rules. However they live in a shit hole, unable to leave the residence, only able to stay underground and mine, and collect money. the lower class CAN buy their way into the upper class with in game money, but it costs them per week, where as those who spend real money pay per month ($5-10 a month? enough to host a good server and give us some fun on the side. Nothing to feed a wife and children, but play money.)

The other server is computercraft/redpower2/ironchests. It takes place on a tropical island in the middle of the ocean (lucky me on the worldgen) where there is a registration office and a hotel. this server would hold probably more of about..10-20 people? It's just more of a vacation place. With this freedom of choice for all players comes a cost though. Absolutely NO protection zones. Everything (save the hotel itself and the registration building) is free game to all at any time. There is no chest protection, there is no magic door locking. None of that bullshit. Pure free roam. They want to burn the island? let them. The issue here is that they will be making their own world and will suffer their own consequences. Those who wish it to stay nice will go to great lengths to keep it that way. There will be cops though (mods) and the plan is to make a server script/mod that makes it so when a cop kills a vagrant player they are jailed for 3-4 real days. This will quickly deter wannabe punks from thrashing the server consistently as they will forget over time to log back in. those that choose to come back will most likely be slain again. The "cop" mods will not be god moded in any way. their only benefit is an unlimited number of lives and an outfit of diamond with bows/swords/ axes/flint and steel, whatever they want to use as a weapon. Players sent to jail will enter a protection group with privileges equal to that of a mollusk. But as I was saying with the hotel, it's 40 blocks tall, nothing too spectacular, but players can live wherever they want. They don't even have to stay on the island. But I don't see any land nearby, so that should prove interesting for those who wish to settle towns.

I have grand ideas for this game and they both primarily focus around computercraft for keeping everyone happy with protection. I have found recently that these extra protections only offer vulnerabilities with them. Where as with computercraft the only vulnerability is an inability. Which I find to be completely fair. These servers won't be for the faint of heart. More information on my "class wars" server will be discussed in finer detail only once I've established a trust level with whom I'm talking. That project is going to be hand built so I can't afford the information getting leaked and stolen. The class wars idea can't be pulled off without it.

*Anybody interested in playing or applying is welcome to join either server
My current IP is 65.130.100.200
the ports are 25565 for the class wars (this will not have any creative building, survival building only. For prestige reasons)
and 25566 for the stranded technological island.of anarchy. there will be creative building here.
My ip address DOES change though because I don't have a DNS yet. I won't until I've decided to commit to a month of hosting. I won't do that until I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I voice chat on dolby axon (free voice chat program for windows AND mac)
I text chat on xfire (nethblano & adamant1267 (one is for the server computer and the other is for my client computer)

I look forward to seeing players and applicants alike. I'm up and very random sporadic times so pretty much anywhere in the world is ok to be able to meet me.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention the server is running forestry 1.4.6.1
Doegizfruit #2
Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:41 AM
Good luck with starting up your new server and getting trustworthy admins for your server.
I also would like to try becoming an admin.
KingMachine #3
Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:16 AM
Good luck with starting up your new server and getting trustworthy admins for your server.
I also would like to try becoming an admin.
Feel free to throw me a PM with information about yourself.

EDIT: Also, CMEZ, I'm sorry dude, I didn't see you there, I was just rebooting the server, I didn't mean to kick you off. I had no clue, I'm on the 25566 one.
EDIT2: CMEZ didn't have forestry so he never got on.
I forgot to mention the server is running forestry 1.4.6.1
KingMachine #4
Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:07 PM
Bumping due to ip change. (damn you qwest)