This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
SchnitzeltoastMC's profile picture

Adding Servers and Server Racks

Started by SchnitzeltoastMC, 05 November 2017 - 04:21 PM
SchnitzeltoastMC #1
Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:21 PM
I think it would be cool, to have a Server Rack. In this you can put up to 4 Server Items which can be used to serve multiple Services.

I run CC on a small MP-Server and we want to make an Internet where you can eg. Host a website but also download files, use an Updater or write E-Mails.

Those Servers can only be accessed from a Computer using something like SSH. But you can run graphical Applications on it.

Other Server Features:

- It is Password protected
- Multiple Users (but only registred)
- Extendable Storage
- Wireless Modem integrated

What wourld be required:

- (maybe) a switch for Cable Connections
- A Block to put the Servers in (Rack)
- An Item used to increase the Storage for all servers (Called Hard Disk Drive)
- SSH for Servers
- SSH for Clients

I hope you like it. for further questions, please ask them here.
KingofGamesYami #2
Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:46 PM
Nothing you describe is not already possible.

In fact, an ssh-like program already exists.

Password protection requires some additional setup but is not impossible. Likewise, multiple users are possible with the right program.

Storage is already extendable via disks. Wireless modems already exist; we don't need to put them inside the computer.
CLNinja #3
Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:28 PM
Like Yami said, SSH Programs already exist (See his post for nsh) You could also write your own 'switch' program using modem. Me and a friend wrote a networking API ages ago that allowed for SSID and password authentication (albeit very horribly done) integrated wireless modems are pretty much useless, as if you really needed something like that, you could have one computer act as a relay for all wired traffic to relay it over the proper channels via wireless. Hitting on the storage issue, you can already wire drives up to the computers.