This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
BowWhalley's profile picture

Download the entire wiki?

Started by BowWhalley, 26 December 2017 - 12:28 AM
BowWhalley #1
Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:28 AM
Sometimes when my internet is down, its a pain to play computercraft. As if I need help with an API, I can't access the wiki.
So I was wondering if theres anyway to download the wiki as a pdf or anything really. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Merry Boxing Day
CLNinja #2
Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:29 AM
Sometimes when my internet is down, its a pain to play computercraft. As if I need help with an API, I can't access the wiki.
So I was wondering if theres anyway to download the wiki as a pdf or anything really. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Merry Boxing Day
You could totally save each HTML Page if you wanted to.
KingofGamesYami #3
Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:02 AM
The wiki is generated/run by mediawiki, so I think this may be helpful.
Lupus590 #4
Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:49 AM
Please don't, it's expensive to pay for the bandwidth.

Is the in game help program enough for when you are offline?
Jummit #5
Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:03 PM
Oh no, I downloaded it the other day… I used wget to do it too, and it has an option to set a sleep time between every site download. Is it OK if I set it to 3 seconds?
Is the in game help program enough for when you are offline?
First, I use an external editor and it would be more (but not too) time-consuming to look in MC.
Second, the in-game wiki has no scroll, no single function documentation and is displayed with a very big font. I would like a revamp of the help command, so it looks more like the 'man' command in linux:
Edited on 26 December 2017 - 12:16 PM
Bomb Bloke #6
Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:06 PM

Er… relative to hitting the same pages over and over, like everyone else does?
Jummit #7
Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:42 PM

I think it is not that expensive, its just a bunch of html files with very few images or videos. When you specify the files you want correctly you will only download maybe 30 files or so.
Purple #8
Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:44 PM

Unless you are using a very odd browser or you deliberately disable caching hitting the same page over and over again will use little to no bandwidth server side as your browser will just pull up a cached version. So yes.

Now, I am not saying that actually downloading the whole thing should be a bandwidth concern. Or that it shouldn't. I genuinely don't know how it works out for the guys paying for it and what their contract is. But that's another story.
Edited on 26 December 2017 - 06:45 PM
valithor #9
Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:48 AM

Unless you are using a very odd browser or you deliberately disable caching hitting the same page over and over again will use little to no bandwidth server side as your browser will just pull up a cached version. So yes.

Now, I am not saying that actually downloading the whole thing should be a bandwidth concern. Or that it shouldn't. I genuinely don't know how it works out for the guys paying for it and what their contract is. But that's another story.

The browser downloads the main page for the file whether or not the page has been cached, and I would expect the main page to generally be the largest file for each page on the wiki, so if you go to a page 3-4 times, i would expect it to be less bandwidth to just download that page and use your local version instead of going to the wiki.

I doubt he has to pay for the bandwidth used a lot of hosts set a limit and say you pay for anything over each month. Considering the files on the wiki are in the kilobyte range I doubt you will really make a dent.
Edited on 27 December 2017 - 03:49 AM