This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Terra1's profile picture

The status of Computercraft servers.

Started by Terra1, 06 February 2018 - 05:10 PM
Terra1 #1
Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:10 PM
1st Generation:
LuaLand: DEAD
Computercraft University: DEAD
2nd Generation:
Lurcraft: Server dead, community lives on.
Switchcraft (OLD): DEAD
TechCorp 1: DEAD
3rd Generation:
Project Beta: DEAD
TechCorp 2: DEAD
4th Generation:
Project Beta 2: ALIVE
TechCorp 3: DEAD
Switchcraft (NEW): ALIVE
TechCorp 4: ALIVE

If you have any corrections or suggestions to make, just ask.
SquidDev #2
Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:20 PM
1st Generation:
Which one? There's been at least 2 serious ones, and 3 or 4 others which bare the same name. I'm also not sure the whole "generation" thing makes sense: the original CCU was 2013 (IIRC, it was before my time) whilst LurLand started in 2015.

Honestly, the whole server situation is a mess and I suspect it always will be. People tend to underestimate the amount of work required in managing a server and the surrounding community. You need to dedicate time to diagnosing lag, finding and reporting bugs, ensuring mods are up to date, etc… That, combined with the relatively small pay-off given the size of the CC community, means few people are willing to keep a server up for a long time.
LoganDark2 #3
Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:08 AM
1st Generation:
Which one? There's been at least 2 serious ones, and 3 or 4 others which bare the same name. I'm also not sure the whole "generation" thing makes sense: the original CCU was 2013 (IIRC, it was before my time) whilst LurLand started in 2015.

Honestly, the whole server situation is a mess and I suspect it always will be. People tend to underestimate the amount of work required in managing a server and the surrounding community. You need to dedicate time to diagnosing lag, finding and reporting bugs, ensuring mods are up to date, etc… That, combined with the relatively small pay-off given the size of the CC community, means few people are willing to keep a server up for a long time.

I'd be one of those "few people", however the mods murdered me because I didn't attribute the creators of the mods correctly. And they wouldn't even tell me what specifically I did wrong (aka what mods' licenses I was violating), even though they had a comprehensive list (and even gave me like, just 10 or so entries off of it just to taunt me even more).
Bomb Bloke #4
Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:05 PM
All you need to do is check the terms of each mod before you include it in your pack. It's that simple. No, that's not too much to ask.
LoganDark2 #5
Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:40 PM
All you need to do is check the terms of each mod before you include it in your pack. It's that simple. No, that's not too much to ask.

I'm not going to derail this topic too much, but I got pissed off because the mods had a comprehensive list of every single thing I did wrong, yet they wouldn't give it to me. One mod in particular gave me a small fragment of it and basically said "go over every single one of your 130+ mods by yourself, I'm not going to do you any sort of favor even though I have the list right here"

If you'd like to discuss it further, PM me.
Lyqyd #6
Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:20 AM

Quote for emphasis.

I don't think you're going to get any more sympathy from Bomb Bloke than you did from me. If you want to advertise your server here, you are responsible for ensuring your compliance with the rules of the Server section. Going through all the mods individually was something you should have done before you ever posted the server thread, not something you do after another poster goes through your mod list and submits a list of problems to the moderation staff.