This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
SilentPro's profile picture

[Turtle] [Peripheral] DISTANCE METER / RANGE FINDER (Laser)

Started by SilentPro, 10 August 2012 - 04:21 PM
SilentPro #1
Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:21 PM
For navigation purposes it would really be useful to have a minimalistic approach for sight.
A blind turtle makes robust navigation framework nearly impossibe and has to scan the enviroment in a time consuming way.
(which is ugly as hell to watch! ;)/>/> )

All this would be history, if a simple (laser) "range finder" could be used to measure the distance in any direction (not only on the axises) or at least the often used directions (like fw, up, down).
I really would prefer to be able to direct the laser on any point around the turtle.

Navigation would still bes complicated, but you could detect obstacles and enviromental structures systematically and not
ought to move EVERYWHERE to see if there is air.

Difficult problems are detecting caves, ravines, juts, trees, mobs?, surfaces, and much more…

It would be awesome, if even an animated laser beam could be added (like with lasers in the MOD PowerCraft).
It might be an option in the API to enable a red viewing laser additionally to the invisible IR range finding laser. :(/>/>
GopherAtl #2
Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:28 AM
I was wishing for something similar when I was considering how to program a turtle to explore a cave system. No remote compare or detection, just a minimalistic detect, either as a standard feature or a perhipheral (the latter meaning youd basically introduce an "explorer" turtle type, with no wireless functionality). Even just 3 versions, detectRange (forward), plus Up and Down, would be enough for me. Naturally there would be some range limit, beyond which it would just return -1 or something to indicate no solid objects in range.