This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
lieudusty's profile picture

Lan wires?

Started by lieudusty, 12 August 2012 - 03:38 AM
lieudusty #1
Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:38 AM
I think CC should have lan wires. Lan wires should have an unlimited range. Anybody think this is a good idea?
Cranium #2
Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:42 AM
But why? You can use bundled cables to accomplish the same thing… Up to 250 blocks away…
dimitriye98 #3
Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:54 AM
Because not everyone uses RedPower.
Cranium #4
Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:09 AM
I guess I can see your point. But why would it be necessary to change the mod rather than add a new one that adds so many features?
Pharap #5
Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:53 AM
I'm half and half on this, mainly because I'm half and half about redpower.

I love redpower's lights, the partial blocks and the wiring. As for some of the other stuff though, like rubber trees and marble and oil, I think it gets a bit interfering at times. Not to mention their god awful computer which is way too complicated and gaudy. I like some of their pipe machines, but generally I prefer buildcraft and find it nicer to use, even if I do love seeing items in colourful boxes flying through a tube.

So ultimately, I'm half and half.
Sebra #6
Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:55 AM
Because not everyone uses RedPower.
Then use modem.
Mendax #7
Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:46 AM
The idea is good. Even with a limited range (250?), it could be used for instant local wired Internet. It IS a good idea.
ElvishJerricco #8
Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:53 AM
Only reason i vote yes is because i believe rednet shouldn't be so in-exploitable. I think you should broadcast messages on frequencies that anything can listen on. That way some people can become hackers and make the game that much more interesting. But then if you used a lan connection, it would work exactly the same, and people on the network could listen. If someone got on your wire and started listening, they could steal the messages, but that's why you hide/protect them. Much more entertaining system.
dimitriye98 #9
Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:04 AM
I guess I can see your point. But why would it be necessary to change the mod rather than add a new one that adds so many features?

Because some people want to play multiplayer and do not administrate the server they play on. And please don't suggest I change servers.
NeoHummel #10
Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

I love redpower's lights, the partial blocks and the wiring. As for some of the other stuff though, like rubber trees and marble and oil, I think it gets a bit interfering at times. Not to mention their god awful computer which is way too complicated and gaudy. I like some of their pipe machines, but generally I prefer buildcraft and find it nicer to use, even if I do love seeing items in colourful boxes flying through a tube.

You do know that RP2 is distributed in multiple packages, right?
You have Core, Logic, Wiring, Lighting and then comes World, Machine and Control.
In other words, if you don't want, say, the machines, the marble and the computer, don't install World, Machine and Control and you still get all the logic gates, all the lighting, all the wires and the partial blocks. AFAIK Core includes the diamond handsaw and the vanilla partial blocks.
OmegaVest #11
Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:02 PM
Only reason i vote yes is because i believe rednet shouldn't be so in-exploitable. I think you should broadcast messages on frequencies that anything can listen on. That way some people can become hackers and make the game that much more interesting. But then if you used a lan connection, it would work exactly the same, and people on the network could listen. If someone got on your wire and started listening, they could steal the messages, but that's why you hide/protect them. Much more entertaining system.

Thing is, if Dan200 puts his own wires in, it is going to act almost exactly like bundled cables, probably. Rednet still works like rednet, no matter the format. So, while a hacker paradise is a . . . unique idea, it is ultimately not going to be so simple. And with redpower bundles, you can actually grab information from the line, though it takes a bit more work. I would imagine that a cc-specific wire would be fairly similar. And honestly I prefer the redpower ones, because I don't HAVE to use rednet. If I have a closed system, I just use 1- and 2-bit signals that operate whatever I'm doing. In the event that I need to send a whole sentence, I send it via disk and pneumatic tubes.
Pharap #12
Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:35 PM

You do know that RP2 is distributed in multiple packages, right?
You have Core, Logic, Wiring, Lighting and then comes World, Machine and Control.
In other words, if you don't want, say, the machines, the marble and the computer, don't install World, Machine and Control and you still get all the logic gates, all the lighting, all the wires and the partial blocks. AFAIK Core includes the diamond handsaw and the vanilla partial blocks.

Problem is, some are dependant on others. I like machines, I don't like world, but if I try to have everything but world, minecraft doesn't start up correctly.
matejdro #13
Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:40 AM
Bundled cables for rednet are legacy. They are much much slower than wireless, because data must be encoded into redpower format and then back to computercraft format. And of course they need another mod to function.

It would be cool if we would have proper lan cable that would be as fast as wireless, but with longer range (as long as chunk is loaded, it should be infinite range).
hego555 #14
Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:00 AM
I never used bundled cables, but I do love redpower. I vote yes, a LAN connection would be amazing!

It could add so many possibilities!

Also the ability to have a better version of the wire would be nice… like in IC you have copper cable, and you have fiber glass… one is cheap but lose's electricity more… other is more expensive but lose's less electricity.

Same idea except with speed,
MysticT #15
Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:15 PM
Coming soon… :D/>/>
KaoS #16
Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:39 AM

I am going to reply to a fairly old post and hope I don't get crucified :)/>/> I just wanted to interject that the RP tube system is in every way the most incredible thing I have ever seen, the only thing I have issue with is that it doesn't work great with auto crafting table 1, other than that you can design awesome systems with it
KillaVanilla #17
Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:18 PM
I like everything except for the part about infinite range. LANs are local area networks.
immibis #18
Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:46 AM
I like everything except for the part about infinite range. LANs are local area networks.
They can be big, you just need enough wire.
D3matt #19
Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:41 AM
Good luck spanning more than a mile with even the best LAN equipment (I'm talking high-end fiber backhauls, here…)
immibis #20
Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:55 AM
Good luck spanning more than a mile with even the best LAN equipment (I'm talking high-end fiber backhauls, here…)
Good luck spanning more than a mile in Minecraft without part of it getting unloaded.
KaoS #21
Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:57 AM
dimension anchors :)/>/>
hego555 #22
Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:37 AM
It would be illogical to make a mile long wire -.-, me more of a security threat then a modem!
Pharap #23
Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:31 AM
Not if you are using a tunnelling client like comodo or hamachi

It would be illogical to make a mile long wire -.-, me more of a security threat then a modem!
Not if you have obsidian.
Besides, the point is it's supposed to be a solution to 1-the range issue and 2- allowing a group of computers to contact each other without loads of annoying message juggling and without the network being hackable, in effect a 'local' broadcast, so broadcast only sends data to the computers connected via wire, meaning someone actually has to find your wires and hook up to them.
TheeIntrepidGamer #24
Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:30 AM
What you would do about the unloading of chunks would be to make the wires keep the chunks loaded automatically and, to have the chunk loading feature configurable in the CC Config, since some server owners already disable World Anchors.
immibis #25
Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:10 AM
What you would do about the unloading of chunks would be to make the wires keep the chunks loaded automatically and, to have the chunk loading feature configurable in the CC Config, since some server owners already disable World Anchors.
That's much laggier than storing information about the wires elsewhere.
dimitriye98 #26
Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:46 AM
Ok, for the "mile-long" thing, just add a limit in the config, maybe like this:

lan_wire_distance_limit = 1024
And so any message in the wire only goes that far…
As to chunk loading, maybe when you place wire it checks for a connection to a wire network, if there is one it connects else it makes a new one. When two wire networks connect, the less active one gets merged into the more active one. Any computer connected to a wire is connected to its wire network. This would likely require infinite wire connection but whatever. Also, if anyone complains that lag wire can't, why not just call it Fibre-optic Cable.
D3matt #27
Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:33 PM
Not if you are using a tunnelling client like comodo or hamachi

Not if you have obsidian.
Besides, the point is it's supposed to be a solution to 1-the range issue and 2- allowing a group of computers to contact each other without loads of annoying message juggling and without the network being hackable, in effect a 'local' broadcast, so broadcast only sends data to the computers connected via wire, meaning someone actually has to find your wires and hook up to them.
Your problem is that you see this as a problem.
MysticT #28
Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:39 PM
I need ideas for recipes on this:
- Network cables: utp, stp, coaxial, optical fiber
- Lan switch peripheral
- Lan repeater
- Lan sniffer
- Wireless modem

Just need that, some textures and a few other details to release it :)/>/>
Sebra #29
Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:09 PM
Why you need four types of cable? Wireless Modem present already. Why switch as peripheral?
MysticT #30
Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:19 PM
Why you need four types of cable?
They have different speed and distance limit.

Wireless Modem present already.
This ones works by frequency.

Why switch as peripheral?
To connect to the computer, the cables can't be connected directly to the computer.
D3matt #31
Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:18 PM
Mystic, this isn't a cisco networking simulator. One type of lan cable is plenty.

EDIT: If you're talking about your own peripheral, then talk about it somewhere else so this topic doesn't get confused.
MysticT #32
Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:39 PM
Mystic, this isn't a cisco networking simulator. One type of lan cable is plenty.

EDIT: If you're talking about your own peripheral, then talk about it somewhere else so this topic doesn't get confused.
:)/>/> I like it that way, so there's different options.
It's my own periperhal, but it's related to this, that's why I posted it here. If someone has suggestions about it, feel free to post/pm it.
hego555 #33
Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:09 AM
Cool with me to have multiple wires!

Make each one have its own advantage though… so everyone doesn't use the same wire for everything!
Pharap #34
Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:44 PM
I need ideas for recipes on this:
- Network cables: utp, stp, coaxial, optical fiber
- Lan switch peripheral
- Lan repeater
- Lan sniffer
- Wireless modem

Just need that, some textures and a few other details to release it :(/>/>
You sir deserve a medal.
I would contribute some recipes if I knew what it all did, but I'll go for one I definitely do know:
Frequency Modem:
SSS
SMS
SSS
S-Switch
M-Modem
(switches to represent the turning on of 8 bits representing a numerical frequency stored in a byte)
As for cables, I think you could have :
SSS
III
SSS
S-Stone
I-Iron
With the type of stone used determining strength of the cable (cobblestone>stone(smeltedcobble)>stonebricks(4stone))
Or alternatively, you could have a standard weak wire made like so:
III
I-iron
and then the weak wire could be strengthened like so:
III
IWI
III
I-Iron
W-Wire
and keep repeating that for each upgrade, making each upgrade require 8 iron, so if you have 4 stages, they would essentially cost around 27-35 iron each.

Mystic, this isn't a cisco networking simulator. One type of lan cable is plenty. EDIT: If you're talking about your own peripheral, then talk about it somewhere else so this topic doesn't get confused.

1 may be plenty for you, but I for one aren't going to complain if someone wants to grace us with more than that.
PixelToast #35
Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:32 AM
i like the idea alot, bundled cables are too slow
immibis #36
Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:24 AM
If you want multiple types of cables, they need to be different in some way.
Pharap #37
Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:07 AM
If you want multiple types of cables, they need to be different in some way.
Why you need four types of cable?
They have different speed and distance limit.

What more difference do you need?
Kingdaro #38
Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:57 AM
I'm not exactly sure if someone's already said this (sort of just skimmed through the topic), but why not just make rednet slower to respond depending on distance? That would make an actual need for the kind of cables OP suggests.
Sebra #39
Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:09 AM
What a ### idea to make a working think worse to make a need for a new suggestion. :D/>/>
Pharap #40
Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:00 PM
I'm not exactly sure if someone's already said this (sort of just skimmed through the topic), but why not just make rednet slower to respond depending on distance? That would make an actual need for the kind of cables OP suggests.

There is a need, the need to have a local network so you can talk everyone on the network, but nobody else knows what you are saying.
Like if you connected several real world computers via LAN, then sent data through the LAN, only the computers on the network could read the data, thus connecting several computers and shutting all the others out.
Yes, you could just have a table of the computer IDs and send the data to all of them, but that's fiddly, especially for beginners. The LAN cables are just a hardware solution to software complications, which is perfectly fine, good for beginners and quicker. It could also be used to connect to peripherals further away (eg a turtle, disk drive or one of the extra peripherals like the printer).
It's fine if there are people who don't see a use for them, but there are others who do see the clear use and can put them to use, so they will have a use and thus should be created.

What a ### idea to make a working think worse to make a need for a new suggestion. :D/>/>

It's not taking a working thing and making it worse, it's taking a working thing and adding a new feature to make it easier to use.

On a side note: please, if you are going to argue a statement, please don't swear, even if it is hashed out (which makes it look more pathetic than if you had swore) and try to use a coherent level of spelling and grammar.
Pinkishu #41
Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

a) not sure how you manage to find BC pipes nicer to use
B) RP has oil? i'm pretty sure last time I checked that was BC
c) its not that complicated Oo
immibis #42
Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

:D/>/> RP has oil? i'm pretty sure last time I checked that was BC

BC pipes are simpler than RP pipes, both in crafting and use. "Send this way, breaking ties randomly, and spit out items on overflow" is simpler conceptually than "send to the nearest closest destination which is not full, breaking ties by cycling through possible destinations, and jam the output of the nearest machine on overflow."
Pharap #43
Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

a)I don't need to power them with annoying energy, plus they are a lot simpler to manage, diamond pipes sort, steel pipes are one way, etc, it's much easier to use pure pipes than taking the trouble to set up machines and power supplies. Sure there's no cool box animation when you do sorting, but frankly they're a lot easier to 'debug' and manage.
b)Ok, so I double checked and I'm probably wrong about the oil, but the other stuff is still there being annoying, like those damn rubber trees
c)It's more complicated than CC, I like being able to just dump a computer and start programming, not having to bother with stuff like ram and boot drives, besides which basic, assembly and forth aren't object orientated (assembly can be OO, but it isn't OO natively), and they are awkwardly low level and require great familiarity with hexadecimal on top of binary. Also they have some horrible syntax quirks, like 25 10 * 50 + in forth. I'm not saying stacks are hard to understand, but placing the operators at the end of the equation is strange (except in the case of ++ and –, which make sense because it's only affecting one value). But ultimately lua is just more user friendly, there's some low level stuff you can't do, but it's a good language that's easy to learn with no prior experience and still nice when you have higher level experience and use it for OO things.
PonyKuu #44
Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:42 AM
a) You NEED to power buildcraft pipes by annoying energy - annoying redstone engines. And BC pipes are designed to be annoying.

"I want items to go into this chest first, and then - into that one" - "you can't, but you can install a mod to your mod, which adds a hundredth type of pipe"
Seriously, there are tons of them! Each intersection is a pain. And you can't even cover pipes or separate them (well, you can, bout that stone/cobblestone mechanic is far less flexible than RP2 paint and covers)
And that "oh, no! Item can't go there - i'll drop it to the ground" is awful.
Cloudy #45
Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:02 AM
I really don't see the point in arguing about things. And I'll point out that not being able to cover them using redpower covers is NOT buildcraft's fault. They can't magically add support for it without permission.

Also you obviously haven't been keeping up with Buildcraft 3 as they are now much more usable.
Pharap #46
Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:09 AM
a) You NEED to power buildcraft pipes by annoying energy - annoying redstone engines. And BC pipes are designed to be annoying.

"I want items to go into this chest first, and then - into that one" - "you can't, but you can install a mod to your mod, which adds a hundredth type of pipe"
Seriously, there are tons of them! Each intersection is a pain. And you can't even cover pipes or separate them (well, you can, bout that stone/cobblestone mechanic is far less flexible than RP2 paint and covers)
And that "oh, no! Item can't go there - i'll drop it to the ground" is awful.

The redstone engines aren't annoying, they are compact and don't take loads of wires. They also aren't limited by the sun.

As to that problem, it's perfectly possible to solve it in BC, you just need to think about it logically.
Stone/Cobblestone pipes might be more less flexible, but again, with a bit of logic it's easy to manage. You can easily just alternate cobble and stone pipes and have diamond pipes directing things into the right section. Plus, if you make the pipe system more 3D and grid like, it makes things a lot more organisable.
The painting pipes bit is the thing I like most about the RC pipe system, that I will admit, but the machines involved are just horribly fiddly and it's nicer to work with pure pipes and problem solve in a logical way. Plus the engines are easy to control with CC, they only take fuel and redstone power, both of which can be moderated by turtles.
PonyKuu #47
Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:49 AM
I really don't see the point in arguing about things. And I'll point out that not being able to cover them using redpower covers is NOT buildcraft's fault. They can't magically add support for it without permission.

Also you obviously haven't been keeping up with Buildcraft 3 as they are now much more usable.
I'm not talking about covring them with covers, but the only way to separate them - is to use alteranting stone/cobblestone pipes.
About BC 3 - are you talking about gates? Gates are nice, but, I don't think they solve ALL the problems with pipes.

The redstone engines aren't annoying, they are compact and don't take loads of wires. They also aren't limited by the sun.
I think they are annoying, since you should have an engine next to each wooden pipe, and they are horrible to control, since they are incredibly slow at the begginning and fast if they are hot.

Speaking about wires - there are only two machines in RedPower, which require power - sorter and retriever. And you don't have to use them. And if you have to, you can set up a single thermopile somwhere (not next to it, as you should do with a redstone engine) and run a single cable.
As to that problem, it's perfectly possible to solve it in BC, you just need to think about it logically.
Stone/Cobblestone pipes might be more less flexible, but again, with a bit of logic it's easy to manage. You can easily just alternate cobble and stone pipes and have diamond pipes directing things into the right section. Plus, if you make the pipe system more 3D and grid like, it makes things a lot more organisable.
The painting pipes bit is the thing I like most about the RC pipe system, that I will admit, but the machines involved are just horribly fiddly and it's nicer to work with pure pipes and problem solve in a logical way. Plus the engines are easy to control with CC, they only take fuel and redstone power, both of which can be moderated by turtles.
Grid-like systems are basically a mess, I think. And I can't see the solution for that problem without additional pipes. What if I want to have two cobble chests instead of one and fill them sequentionaly?
RedPower machines are not fiddly. You can make a sorting system witout any blutricity - just use filters. All you need - is a single tube and some filters attached to it, if you don't like the sorter or blutricity requirements.
And also there are no problem with controlling RP machines with turtles.
Cloudy #48
Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:40 PM
I really don't see the point in arguing about things.

Hint hint.
PonyKuu #49
Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:47 PM
Oh, I'm sorry. I stop arguing now.
Sebra #50
Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:27 PM
…why not just make rednet slower to respond depending on distance? That would make an actual need for the kind of cables OP suggests.
It's not taking a working thing and making it worse, it's taking a working thing and adding a new feature to make it easier to use.

On a side note: please, if you are going to argue a statement, please don't swear, even if it is hashed out (which makes it look more pathetic than if you had swore) and try to use a coherent level of spelling and grammar.
I tried to reply in a soft way. What else should I say him?

RP2 Comps are different to CC, but not worse.
Forth is simpler than lua and better in some ways.
You can try to write os for RP2 comp yourself.
BrolofTheViking #51
Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:05 AM
I get to be the crazy one and say that railcraft is far better for moving items than either redpower or buildcraft. Wooo. Kinda expensive though.

Anyway, Lan wires would be pretty cool… There are times where I've just gotten annoyed by having to either build a super tall tower, or be forced to use numerous waypoint computers to transmit the rednet signal further.
Pharap #52
Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:11 AM
What a ### idea to make a working think worse to make a need for a new suggestion. :P/>/>

I tried to reply in a soft way. What else should I say him?

RP2 Comps are different to CC, but not worse.
Forth is simpler than lua and better in some ways.
You can try to write os for RP2 comp yourself.

The reason I say it's worse is that you have to set up at least 3 things before you can even start programming, whereas CC is just 'place computer->Code'.
You can write your own OS for CC in lua. I distinctly remember attempting to help out with WolfOS not all that long ago.
It's hard at first, but it's easier than most language's console mode since you can set the cursor position and clear the console.
Kadecamz #53
Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:44 AM
I would absolutely LOVE this!
I could wire up a whole small town.

But I'm also curious, if the wires would not hook up to a computer, then where would they hook up to?
Also, would it be possible to have a filter computer that would check whats going through the wires, and log it. (and if it comes from an ID blocked in the table, it doesn't allow that to pass)

Would there be something like lan.receive()?

OW ACCIDENTALY POKED MY EYE
PixelToast #54
Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:39 AM
yea it would be cool to be able to have its own api with lan functions
possibly a redrect function that can take the input of one lan wire and output its data to another
or even over a wireless modem, so you can set up a way to access the network
and a list function to find the ids of everyone on the network
darkrising #55
Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:01 PM
a "wake on lan" function for it would be great, I really love the idea of lan wires, would make my security systems that more secure!

Edit: just had another idea, lan wires could also be used to link up disk drives and monitors
KaoS #56
Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:19 AM
@pipe debate. I will not say my preference or anything, don't want to cause more trouble. just want to recommend that you look up the logistics pipes mod, it is amazing from what I have seen (haven't used it cos haven't got it to work fully on MC 1.3.2 yet :P/>/> but look up direwolf20's spotlights). watch out, it may convert you to BC ^_^/>/>
Tiin57 #57
Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:15 PM
I am working on a CCLAN peripheral.
matejdro #58
Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:41 PM
Logistic pipes are neat, but I think they are too easy. Main point of minecraft is that you build complex systems yourself instead of using mod that does all the work for you in single block.

Awesome!
KaoS #59
Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:06 PM
Logistic pipes are neat, but I think they are too easy. Main point of minecraft is that you build complex systems yourself instead of using mod that does all the work for you in single block.

This is a very valid point, however it can be argued that every mod changes the difficulty of mincecraft. buildcraft and industrialcraft make things a lot easier with automatic quarrying and macerating for more resources etc. the reason why this is ok is that it then allows you to go further and make more complicated things that are (arguably) just as hard as minecraft. logistics pipes do make things a lot easier but you can then design enormous machines that use so many mods all together thanks to the satellite and crafting logistics pipe

EDIT: oh yeah, almost forgot. in the next version of logistics pipes you need IC or BC energy for the pipes to work and they have a transfer range limit that is quite small
Edited on 25 October 2012 - 02:00 PM
MysticT #60
Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:46 PM
I'm also working on one. I only need textures (I'm terrible with graphics ^_^/>/>), think of some missing recipes and adjust a few details to release it.
Sadly, I have no time to do it atm, so it will take some time.
Tiin57 #61
Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:36 PM
Nonetheless, you'll probably finish first. I have six mods, three APIs, and ten peripherals planned. CCLAN is only one of them. Of course, if you drop yours, I'll start work on mine. But barring that, my next peripheral is CCMyst.
bbqroast #62
Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:02 AM
Don't bundled cables send information using redstone pulses? Which is incredibly slow, and probably quite CPU intensive.
ChunLing #63
Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:30 PM
They can also use rednet. Which is superfast, and basically just transfers a string.

The peripheral cable mod is even better because the cable makes the computer effectively use the peripheral at the other end using pretty much the normal method.
yaaay #64
Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:57 AM

Well duh,Where is RP2 for MC1.3.2
Luanub #65
Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:13 AM
I originally saw no point in CC adding in cables since it worked very nicely with the RP2 Bundled Cables. But there was no RP2 for MC1.3.2 and now we are at 1.4.2 and still no cable options. It would be nice to get rid of the dependency on RP2 and add cables for both network and redstone functions into core CC.
ChunLing #66
Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:50 AM
I believe that it's been mentioned that something is in the works, but still apparently not ready for testing.
matejdro #67
Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:39 AM
I originally saw no point in CC adding in cables since it worked very nicely with the RP2 Bundled Cables. But there was no RP2 for MC1.3.2 and now we are at 1.4.2 and still no cable options. It would be nice to get rid of the dependency on RP2 and add cables for both network and redstone functions into core CC.

No, main reason is that RP cables are super slow. They are fine for redstone because you essentialy have 16 true/false values. But rednet is much more demanding, making RP cables very slow option.
Luanub #68
Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

No, main reason is that RP cables are super slow. They are fine for redstone because you essentialy have 16 true/false values. But rednet is much more demanding, making RP cables very slow option.

Which is one of the reasons I never saw much value in this. If all you are doing is network traffic modems work just fine, I've in my personal use never had a need of using a cable in place of a modem. But that's just me.
ChunLing #69
Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:25 PM
No, it's me too. I get the value of the peripheral cables mod, but bundled cable has never excited my interest.
matejdro #70
Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:27 PM
I see two main advantages of cables against modems:

1. Ability to easily broadcast to all needed computers without worrying about every other computer receiving message.
2. Bigger range. For example if you want to connect 2 distant computers, both near bedrock, cable is best option.
ChunLing #71
Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:56 PM
Hmmm…during a thunderstorm maybe. Yeah, I'd rather solve problems with programming than with laying cable…though I guess I could program turtles to lay cable pretty easily. Heck, the gox commands could fully automate a task that simple.
bbqroast #72
Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:27 PM
I like the idea of laying cables. Mainly because of their range. What would be really cool is if each cable could only run to two computers, but, when it's placed Computer Craft "registers" it in memory. This data is saved to the hard disk when not in use, and if the cable is modified the data is updated. But, more importantly, when data is sent the comuter just looks up the register. That way, as long as both ends of the cable are loaded the actual cable needs not to be loaded. This would be a server admin's dream. Letting us run cables over 1000s of blocks with no performance decrease.
Pharap #73
Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:00 AM
Hmmm…during a thunderstorm maybe. Yeah, I'd rather solve problems with programming than with laying cable…though I guess I could program turtles to lay cable pretty easily. Heck, the gox commands could fully automate a task that simple.

You have to lay 'cable' if you want to do most redstone related things anyway, it's not exactly a new concept.
ChunLing #74
Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:55 AM
No, you can do most redstone related things with a wireless modem and computer. And that's just what some of use prefer. Now, if you're talking about things that specifically require bundled cables, then that's a different matter. Obviously those things do require cable.
Luanub #75
Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:11 AM
Yeah and thats a different type of cable. Which is actually needed and I wish would be added as part of CC core.

As far as lan cables
1) they will still have range limitations just as the bundled cables do. Modems may even have greater range depending on the alititude of the computers sending the messages. A computer positioned up high has a range of close to 300 blocks in clear weather which is > bundled cable range.

2)Is not really any more secure then using a modem. , Unless you've put steps into the code to stop this type of activity(In which case why not just use wireless?) all someone has to do is connected a computer to your wired network and start listening to the traffic.

You can put steps into your code to make a computer broadcast to only a certain list of ID, and building a repeater to carry your wireless signals further is not all that hard.

I'm like ChunLing and prefer to code my way around the limitations of the wireless. It's easier and cleaner then trying to cable everything up(plus I dont have to worry about a creeper taking out part of my cables and downing my network).
ChunLing #76
Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:59 AM
I think that cables are fun and fluffy and can be very convenient when trying to manage several devices all in close proximity. I just don't see them as essential for most things, and they do have significant downsides. I've carefully considered railcraft, buildcraft, and industrialcraft, and…they really don't offer enough to be worth the effort, particularly with the 1.4 turtle capabilities. That doesn't mean I'm not sympathetic to the need for cables in those mods, but they really aren't all that necessary for ComputerCraft. I don't have any problems with them being in core CC, though I would much rather have programmable Iron golems than lan cables, if we're picking things for the CC team to develop.
Pharap #77
Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:33 PM
Yeah and thats a different type of cable. Which is actually needed and I wish would be added as part of CC core.

As far as lan cables
1) they will still have range limitations just as the bundled cables do. Modems may even have greater range depending on the alititude of the computers sending the messages. A computer positioned up high has a range of close to 300 blocks in clear weather which is > bundled cable range.

2)Is not really any more secure then using a modem. , Unless you've put steps into the code to stop this type of activity(In which case why not just use wireless?) all someone has to do is connected a computer to your wired network and start listening to the traffic.

You can put steps into your code to make a computer broadcast to only a certain list of ID, and building a repeater to carry your wireless signals further is not all that hard.

I'm like ChunLing and prefer to code my way around the limitations of the wireless. It's easier and cleaner then trying to cable everything up(plus I dont have to worry about a creeper taking out part of my cables and downing my network).

Bundled cable and lan cable are different things, and it's the code implementation that matters.

Sure, someone can still connect via the cable, but that's going to be a lot more difficult since they can't easily do it from 300 blocks away, they'd have to be right on top of your location.

And you do still have to worry about creepers, if they destroy your computer or modem you're finished. as for damaging the cables, that's why you would do things like bury them and run them through walls. Last time I checked, there weren't any fibre-optic cables above ground outside.
Luanub #78
Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:07 PM
Bundled cable and lan cable are different things, and it's the code implementation that matters.

Not really bundled cables were the orignal lan cable for CC. Prior to the modem being implented as an upgrade to the bundled cables, the only option you had to send anything over rednet was bundled cables.
ChunLing #79
Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:08 PM
The ones outside my house are above ground. Just sayin'.
Pharap #80
Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

Not really, bundled cables were the original lan cable for CC. Prior to the modem being implented as an upgrade to the bundled cables, the only option you had to send anything over rednet was bundled cables.

Lan cables would only need to know which of their sides connect to either computers or more lan wires, thus if they connect to more than one side, they count as a link in the wire chain. if there is one full chain between two computers, that's the only 'solid' data required, all the data transfer between computers can be handled behind the scenes.You could narrow that down to a single value and use the bits to indicate links in the 'chain', thus if they are all true, there is a connection and data can be sent. I'm pretty sure bundled cable is handled differently to that. Also chunk loads/unloads wouldn't matter as a lan wire would stay in the same state while a chunk was unloaded. If nobody had the chunk loaded, there would be nothing to establish it changing its state, similar to the old tree in the woods conundrum.

The ones outside my house are above ground. Just sayin'.
If you feel they're safe up there, then that's your decision.
Luanub #81
Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:26 PM
And my house is a lot more secure then the outdoors there are no creepers inside I can guarantee that.. Dirt takes much more damage from a creeper blast then the material my house is built from.

Oh and no one can connect to my computer from 300 meters. You have to be on the accepted list that is hard coded. You would have to have access to the real files and hack them to connect. I have ctrl+t protection setup as well as on my server having disk booting protected as well.
Pharap #82
Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:37 PM
And my house is a lot more secure then the outdoors there are no creepers inside I can guarantee that.. Dirt takes much more damage from a creeper blast then the material my house is built from.

Oh and no one can connect to my computer from 300 meters. You have to be on the accepted list that is hard coded. You would have to have access to the real files and hack them to connect. I have ctrl+t protection setup as well as on my server having disk booting protected as well.

That material being stone?

That maybe so, but that's not really the point in having lan wires.
The point is, if you had a group of computers you were constantly relaying data to, it would get boring sending the same data to each individual computer and the wires are just a nice way around that. Besides, not everyone who uses CC is capable of handling rednet messages with such grace as to be able to make a rednet chat system, for which the lan wires would be the ideal simplifier..
Luanub #83
Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:02 PM
All you have to do is make your own broadcast function. Setup a way to for users to "register" their ID then do something like:

local tReg = {1,2,3,4} -- probably get this from a file in the real program

function broadcast(msg)
for _, x in pairs(tReg) do
  rednet.send(x, msg)
end
end

broadcast("hello")

I'm not sure how the way that your transfering the data(modem vs cable) is going to make developing and chat system any easier.
ChunLing #84
Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:00 AM
You need to restrict the rednet send to listed IDs for security anyway, whether or not you use a modem. If you're talking about a small enough distance that a lan wire is cheaper than a modem, then there's a benefit (and you're probably not as worried about security since access to the wire probably means access to the computers). The biggest thing is being able to connect peripherals…which the peripheral wire mode does but I don't know whether that's planned to be how lan wires work.
KaoS #85
Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:43 AM
all systems are hackable or grief-able even if you modify BIOS to prevent disk booting it is easy. I just find one of your computers that communicates with the main server, break both modems and reconnect them with bundled cabling, then place a third PC on the line that logs traffic and I can find out how the system works, once that is done you keep trying every PC until you find one that isn't ID filtering and use it to get to the others…..

I like my way, it is a lot less professional but what can you do. I have looser virtual security, I just send data to specific IDs and receive from specific IDs to prevent sneaky listening in. then I use ccSensors to kill anyone who comes close to the main server, this way they can't even grief by shutting it down. problem solved :D/>/>

someone will get past it eventually but at least they will probably die a few times trying
Dlcruz129 #86
Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:07 PM
I like the LAN sniffer idea.
Tiin57 #87
Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:59 PM
I have cancelled my plans for CCLAN. Good luck, MysticT!