This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Pharap's profile picture

Local (private) Area Connection Cables

Started by Pharap, 12 August 2012 - 05:20 AM
Pharap #1
Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:20 AM
Ok, so I was reading some of the suggestion ideas, and one came up about lan cables. The user suggested they should have an unlimited range, but then there was the whole argument of modems and the like. Ultimately it seemed like just another person wanting unlimited connection range.

However it got me thinking about some of the issues of rednet:
1- If you broadcast something, any old person can listen in.
2- If you are trying to talk to multiple people, you'd have to send the same thing to each of them individually.

It also made me remember another suggestion about making rednet have frequencies, however any idiot can hack into a frequency system by setting a computer to cycle through all the possible frequencies until it picks something up.

So, I eventually thought of this:

LAN cables that connect a small network of reasonably close computers.
HOWEVER, because they are linked via physical cable, anyone connected via the cables can read the stuff broadcasted on the network, but anyone who isn't connected is unable to read it, because the connection is physical, and not wireless.

While it seems like a step backwards in capability as it would limit the range (possibly use redstone's 15 step limit or something slightly larger, like a 24 step limit.) it would be a fair tradeoff by giving the users the desired privacy.

It would be a fairly difficult undertaking, but it would improve privacy on servers, and I'm fairly certain people would use them because of it. On top of this, it would not replace modems as:
1- it is easier to craft 1 modem than 64 cables.
2- LAN cables would not be able to control wireless turtles.

Ultimately, I reckon it's the best solution to rednet's privacy issues beyond doing something really complicated or doing something ridiculous like implementing cookies.
BigSHinyToys #2
Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:44 AM
first off if you make a IRC server you only need to send your message to it It will send it to other sin the conversation so you don't have to send to each individual secondly You can use bundled cables from RedPower for rednet It is slower that wifi but it works noon then less.

There are many implementations of wireless networks in CC . If implemented right it can be as secure and cable but still affective. Yes this increases complexity greatly But that is kinda a point of CC to make you learn and have fun at the same time.

As for dedicated LAN cable If they were used as a peripheral and worked at the speed of WIFI then I could see them as very useful.
Pharap #3
Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:21 AM
first off if you make a IRC server you only need to send your message to it It will send it to other sin the conversation so you don't have to send to each individual secondly You can use bundled cables from RedPower for rednet It is slower that wifi but it works noon then less.

There are many implementations of wireless networks in CC . If implemented right it can be as secure and cable but still affective. Yes this increases complexity greatly But that is kinda a point of CC to make you learn and have fun at the same time.

As for dedicated LAN cable If they were used as a peripheral and worked at the speed of WIFI then I could see them as very useful.

I know how to make the big complicated connections, but that's the point, it is complicated, so it puts off those less well versed in programming. While CC is supposed to be quite a lot about programming, you don't want to put other users off.

As for redpower, my views are half and half on it. I like some of the stuff, like the wiring and the lighting, but stuff like the rubber and their computer and the need for solar and thermal power (which is quite limiting given that solar power can only be used in the day time and thermopiles are underpowered) is quite off putting, as well as the massive piles of marble everywhere.
On top of which, bundled cables send power, not data, so it's not really the same thing

LAN cables would sort of be a peripheral, however they would be an extended one, like redstone, but carrying data instead of power.
And the point is the easy privacy, but at the cost of range, so it's a well balanced addition.

As I've said before, if I knew Java I'd do it myself, but whilst my JVM creation fails 9 times out of 10 (which is laughable considering Java is most praised for being 'platform independent'.) I have to rely on the old 'I'll suggest an idea and hope somebody likes it since I can't do it myself' routine. Of course they would be the same speed as rednet, they just would limit the range of the network (unless anyone thinks running 100 blocks of exposed cable through mountains and forests is a good idea) as well as not being able to control turtles. They would just add a bit more privacy and perhaps allow for monitors to be further away or something.
BigSHinyToys #4
Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:40 AM
I know how to make the big complicated connections, but that's the point, it is complicated, so it puts off those less well versed in programming. While CC is supposed to be quite a lot about programming, you don't want to put other users off.

As for redpower, my views are half and half on it. I like some of the stuff, like the wiring and the lighting, but stuff like the rubber and their computer and the need for solar and thermal power (which is quite limiting given that solar power can only be used in the day time and thermopiles are underpowered) is quite off putting, as well as the massive piles of marble everywhere.
On top of which, bundled cables 1 ) send power, not data, so it's not really the same thing

2 ) LAN cables would sort of be a peripheral, however they would be an extended one, like redstone, but carrying data instead of power.
And the point is the easy privacy, but at the cost of range, so it's a well balanced addition.

As I've said before, if I knew Java I'd do it myself, but whilst my JVM creation fails 9 times out of 10 (which is laughable considering Java is most praised for being 'platform independent'.) I have to rely on the old 'I'll suggest an idea and hope somebody likes it since I can't do it myself' routine. Of course they would be the same speed as rednet, they just would limit the range of the network 3 ) (unless anyone thinks running 100 blocks of exposed cable through mountains and forests is a good idea) as well as not being able to control turtles. They would just add a bit more privacy and perhaps allow for monitors to be further away or something.
1 ) all data is power state or signal difference. Hight is one stated and low is a lower voltage. Data is just difference's in power interpreted by transistors. There is no distention between the two.
0 OFF false Low – all the same
1 ON true Hight – all the same
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data
Power over Ethernet
2 ) You would have a LAN network card as the peripheral and a LAN cable connecting between Network cards. This would be the best way to implement this and I like the idea.
3 ) That is the way the world is wired seams to be working so far. But you would have them run through tunnels Not over mountains so it would be protected.
———–
I like the idea I think it could work well You just need to convince a Moder of that.
Pharap #5
Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:02 AM

On top of which, bundled cables 1 ) send power, not data, so it's not really the same thing

2 ) LAN cables would sort of be a peripheral, however they would be an extended one, like redstone, but carrying data instead of power.

As I've said before, if I knew Java I'd do it myself, but whilst my JVM creation fails 9 times out of 10 (which is laughable considering Java is most praised for being 'platform independent'.) I have to rely on the old 'I'll suggest an idea and hope somebody likes it since I can't do it myself' routine. Of course they would be the same speed as rednet, they just would limit the range of the network 3 ) (unless anyone thinks running 100 blocks of exposed cable through mountains and forests is a good idea) as well as not being able to control turtles. They would just add a bit more privacy and perhaps allow for monitors to be further away or something.
1 ) all data is power state or signal difference. Hight is one stated and low is a lower voltage. Data is just difference's in power interpreted by transistors. There is no distention between the two.
0 OFF false Low – all the same
1 ON true Hight – all the same
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data
Power over Ethernet
2 ) You would have a LAN network card as the peripheral and a LAN cable connecting between Network cards. This would be the best way to implement this and I like the idea.
3 ) That is the way the world is wired seams to be working so far. But you would have them run through tunnels Not over mountains so it would be protected.
———–
I like the idea I think it could work well You just need to convince a Moder of that.

1) Yes, but translating to and from binary is a ridiculously awkward idea and incredibly slow. On top of which Computers in CC don't strictly have transistors, the functionality would have to be programmed in. I really don't want to sit there and program a system to translate binary into ascii every single time I use a CC server. It could be done, but it would be awful to do.
2)Thank you, I would do it myself were it not for a) I have yet to learn Java and :P/>/> the reason I haven't learned Java - JVM creation fails about 95% of the time. The other day I managed to get it to work for the first time in about 4 months. It lasted 5 hours then failed again. Delightful.
On the not about the network card peripheral, one thing I would program if I could make mods with Java is a peripheral that basically acts as a port adapter and comes with its own fancy API, allowing for things like multiple disks or connecting cables, things like that. At the moment it wouldn't be much use, but providing other crazy stuff was created like wireless controllers for the screen or something, it could be useful.
3)Which is strictly true to life, considering that's pretty much what power cables are like, run through underground tunnels. It would still take work to get it to run far. Perhaps balance out the being able to use the cables long distance by making it so they have to be run underground because rain causes them to short out or something. Which wouldn't be that big a deal, but it would stop it being overpowered (a lot of the higher ups complain about suggestions being overpowered).