This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
ElvishJerricco's profile picture

A CPU item!

Started by ElvishJerricco, 26 August 2012 - 04:05 PM
ElvishJerricco #1
Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:05 PM
The following suggestion stemmed from an attempt to make the recipe more complicated, but doing so in a way that didn't just add a new item in the middle whose only purpose was that recipe.

Let's imagine we had this little item called the CPU. It could be used in three ways, and each way obviously has a zillion applications.

The less obvious one is kinda like a starting point for the mod. Rather than the base level tech being a computer (which is typically quite advanced) it could be a simple redstone CPU. You can place this cpu on the ground and create logic systems in the one block. It would take advantage of RedPower's micro block stuff (when RP is present, that is) and be one of those little plate things where you can place it on walls, put covers over it, etc. When you right click on it, it opens an interface. This interface would be a grid much like an inventory. There's buttons along the top to represent wire and logic gates. And there's slots on the sides of the interface to represent in puts on the sides of the block in the world. You can use all these things to create complex logic systems in a single block much like how a CPU can do. Here's a quick mockup showing the layout, and a couple of the buttons that would be used to put logic gates in it.

http://imgur.com/c703w

The more obvious use of the CPU is a crafting ingredient in the computer and turtle blocks (also, i believe monitors should be in the recipe instead of a glass pane). This makes the recipe a bit harder to make and a wee bit more realistic.

The final use, and the one i'd be most excited about, is using the CPU as a peripheral. You could use it to circumvent the ROM problem. Computers now all have to use the same ROM. But if you attach a CPU as a peripheral, it would basically just run a custom ROM. It'd work by some peripheral methods. Stuff like: cpu.loadROM("myRomFolder") or cpu.run(). You'd load your own ROM folder onto it, and then you'd run it. It'd look for a bios.lua file and then it'd make your computer act like it was running the system now on the CPU.
Graypup #2
Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:10 PM
The rom *problem* isn't a problem, per se, it's programmer incompetence. (although modifying the bios isn't possible) You can use your own bootloader, started by a startup file on the computer's hdd. microblock issue: Eloraam doesn't like people poking in her code. To make the problem worse, modders other than her CANNOT access the cover code (and in extension add a block that lets you put covers on it). The rest looks possible to do. (other modders- go ahead, I'm not making this myself)
ElvishJerricco #3
Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:41 AM
The rom *problem* isn't a problem, per se, it's programmer incompetence. (although modifying the bios isn't possible) You can use your own bootloader, started by a startup file on the computer's hdd. microblock issue: Eloraam doesn't like people poking in her code. To make the problem worse, modders other than her CANNOT access the cover code (and in extension add a block that lets you put covers on it). The rest looks possible to do. (other modders- go ahead, I'm not making this myself)

Code chicken uses the microblock stuff in his wireless redstone mod.

And there's several drawbacks i've discovered when trying to simply use a startup file. The biggest being the fact that i don't have 100% control over the entire system that way. He does some weird protection with the _G table in bios.lua that i need to change for my computercraft os to be perfect.
Cloudy #4
Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

Code chicken uses the microblock stuff in his wireless redstone mod.

And there's several drawbacks i've discovered when trying to simply use a startup file. The biggest being the fact that i don't have 100% control over the entire system that way. He does some weird protection with the _G table in bios.lua that i need to change for my computercraft os to be perfect.

With Eloraam's permission - something she doesn't give out readily.

Also, bios protection is easy to work around (rawset anyone?).