This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
yapposai's profile picture

Upgrade slots for turtles (like ic2)

Started by yapposai, 28 August 2012 - 03:18 AM
yapposai #1
Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:18 AM
Hi!

Just throwing round some ideas. Maybe add limited (4?) upgrade slots to turtles like IC2

putting things in the slots add capability/API to the turtle

1. Compass - add turtle.getFace() - returns which direction turtle is facing
2. watch - add events to be fired every dawn/night/noon/midnight maybe?
3. both watch and compass present - the above enhancements PLUS turtle.getpos() - accurate GPS of the turtle,
you lose 2 upgrade slots but this is probably worth it

4. sugar - turtle consumes sugar in inventory (or fuel ) to move/mine faster. - stacks. put a lot of sugar in the upgrade slot
and the turtle will go very fast but burn through the sugar faster.

5. energy link or something - allow turtle to use (batteries/energy crystals?) from IC2, redpower, etc to refuel
6. ender pearl - teleporting turtle. turtle.teleport(x,y,z) move x,y,z blocks (max 16 blocks , relative to postion ) maybe use fuel to use

Sure you could craft new turtles with gps but it might be more fun to add and remove upgrades to turtles as needed, also this method might lessen the number of new peripheral blocks/recipes needed (to make it easier for texture pack makers to support)

anyway , thanks for reading.
Sammich Lord #2
Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:36 PM
This would be a nice addition but, I highly doubt dan200 would add it.
immibis #3
Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:20 AM
A third type of upgrade that you could put in these slots would be nice, instead of having to sacrifice wireless capability to get IDetector/database/sign-reading turtles.
Jan #4
Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:38 PM
Hi!

Just throwing round some ideas. Maybe add limited (4?) upgrade slots to turtles like IC2

putting things in the slots add capability/API to the turtle

1. Compass - add turtle.getFace() - returns which direction turtle is facing
2. watch - add events to be fired every dawn/night/noon/midnight maybe?
3. both watch and compass present - the above enhancements PLUS turtle.getpos() - accurate GPS of the turtle,
you lose 2 upgrade slots but this is probably worth it

4. sugar - turtle consumes sugar in inventory (or fuel ) to move/mine faster. - stacks. put a lot of sugar in the upgrade slot
and the turtle will go very fast but burn through the sugar faster.

5. energy link or something - allow turtle to use (batteries/energy crystals?) from IC2, redpower, etc to refuel
6. ender pearl - teleporting turtle. turtle.teleport(x,y,z) move x,y,z blocks (max 16 blocks , relative to postion ) maybe use fuel to use

Sure you could craft new turtles with gps but it might be more fun to add and remove upgrades to turtles as needed, also this method might lessen the number of new peripheral blocks/recipes needed (to make it easier for texture pack makers to support)

anyway , thanks for reading.
Except for 3 and 6, I like these ideas :)/>/>. Especially 4, the sugar. Cant wait to see turtles dig like crazy xD
matejdro #5
Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:20 PM
1. You can already do this by remembering turtle position. I made my own left() and right() functions that remember how many times turtle turned, so I always know where it faces. And since turning is AFAIK always successful, it is very reliable.

2. I think os.time() returns minecraft time.

3. You can already do this with gps or with similar process than number 1 (count how many times turtle moved in certain direction)

4. Sounds interesting.

5. Again agree, it would be cool.

6. I'm not sure. Unless there would be delays and some other limitations, I think it could be really overpowered. After you reach the end, you can get a lot of ender pearls very easily, meaning that turtle could just teleport all over the place.
yapposai #6
Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:08 PM
I was actually thinking of using the position and facing to resume tasks if the turtle chunk gets unloaded or for some reason it crashes. you might get away with writing your movements to a file each time but you are not guaranteed that it will be accurate, I believe. the chunk might have been unloaded just before it was able to write to the file that it moved.