This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
PROdotes's profile picture

turtle.use()

Started by PROdotes, 04 September 2012 - 04:03 PM
PROdotes #1
Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:03 PM
was considering making tree farms with bonemeal or a turtle that can empty a lava/water lake… but without the turtles being able to "right click" items… that is kinda hard… any info on that? or did i just miss it :D/>/>

edit: speaking of… a way to detect liquids would be nice… not sure how you handle that currently if you want to fill water in…
Cloudy #2
Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:46 PM
Turtles can use bonemeal and buckets easily - turtle.place() handles that.
cant_delete_account #3
Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:25 PM
In 1.4, not if someone's using Tekkit.
Cloudy #4
Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:33 PM
In 1.4, not if someone's using Tekkit.

Which is my problem why…? This is a suggestion. I was pointing out it is already in the game - I can't cater to people with earlier versions.
PROdotes #5
Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:16 PM
So… i could put 1-2 stacks of empy IC2 cells in it and write some code that would empty a lava pool for me?
Not sure yet how i would handle it, since I don't think there's liquid detection… it would have to detect the "edges" of a lava lake, mine all around it and check if it can turtle.place() the cell… but place returns nil… and i would need a lava "block" to compare… any ideas? this is turning into a tutorial now more then suggestion :D/>/>
Cloudy #6
Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:40 PM
So… i could put 1-2 stacks of empy IC2 cells in it and write some code that would empty a lava pool for me?
Not sure yet how i would handle it, since I don't think there's liquid detection… it would have to detect the "edges" of a lava lake, mine all around it and check if it can turtle.place() the cell… but place returns nil… and i would need a lava "block" to compare… any ideas? this is turning into a tutorial now more then suggestion :D/>/>

Not all items work. However most do - we will look into improving that in the future to remove special cases in our code.
PROdotes #7
Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:11 PM
oki doki… tyvm ^^
PROdotes #8
Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:29 PM
I have to ask…
how does turtle.place() handle fluids?
Since from testing it it seems like it does "if empty bucket is selected and block in front is water, remove water block and replace empty bucket with water bucket"…
that will be a pain to handle for "every" mod out there… specially since forge is now handling liquids i think… and don't know if it has any implemented "fill" option… say you have a block of oil and a forestry capsule… you would have to tell the CC mod "if forestry is loaded and if buildcraft is loaded, if capsule is used on oil, remove oil and replace calsule with oil capsule"…
that's a lof of ifs :D/>/>
PROdotes #9
Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:49 PM
maybe forge should have a liquid handler… register block X as liquid… register item Y as empty container… and Z as filled container… and a way to just tell it to handle stuff like that…
my brain is kinda burnt out atm tho from coding for 3 days ^^
Xfel #10
Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:12 PM
There is a bucket place event which does enough. And I guess it is used already as it is yielded by the ItemBucket class itself.
Cloudy #11
Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:13 PM
Please don't triple post. We check the type of item and then use right click behavior depending on the item - and bucket is one of those items.

As I said before we will look into improving this behavior in a future version.