This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Ellie0815's profile picture

The "AI Challenge"

Started by Ellie0815, 07 September 2012 - 08:38 PM
Ellie0815 #1
Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:38 PM
Im just trying a game mode/challenge heavily inspired by CC and its addons cc-sensors, Xfels peripherals, ARP, IDetector etc.

I call it the "AI Challenge"

You are the bodyless AI/spirit of a greatmaster engineer/whatever you seem fit and therefore are unable to interact with the world except from using Guis, programming etc. The only way to physically interact with the world and manipulate it(picking up items, break blocks, moving items, placing blocks, etc) is by machines.

Rules:

You start only with a crafting mining turtle.
As a bodyless AI/spirit/whatever you can roam the world freely and fly around (creative mode and as you cant interact with the world this is absolutely "legit")

there are also various optional steps to make it harder/easier:

I suggest to turn off energy for turtles at least for the first time until you get used that EVERYTHING which was only 2 or 3 clicks away is now a task to be done by machines.

Cheatmode: pick up, move items within inventories, etc. with mouse to escape the dead lock if the most important item became unreachable for your turtle or for debugging NOT for actual gameplay. ONLY allowed when nobody watches and if you feel really really bad about it!!!!

EXTRA hard: you are an AI bound to a core computer. You can only see whats around optical peripherals and can only move within your system of machines and attached cables. Some kind of cheap cable as a way to move between machines and peripherals would come handy. Cheap optic peripherals which are your "eyes" so you can see. These cameras and cables dont need an ingame purpose/function they are only for movement/sight of the AI.
D3matt #2
Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:02 PM
Sounds interesting. Definitely a challenge, especially if you turn on energy… You'd have to start with some coal or something in that case, and find more very quickly.

One potential snag I can see is how horribly clunky inventory manipulation is with turtles.
Ellie0815 #3
Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:19 PM
Sounds interesting. Definitely a challenge, especially if you turn on energy… You'd have to start with some coal or something in that case, and find more very quickly.

One potential snag I can see is how horribly clunky inventory manipulation is with turtles.

You can farm trees with the mining turtle and get charcoal.

And yes its very clunky. Thats why I wrote a program to get a stack of a specific slot of a chest using suck() and drop()
Rangicus #4
Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:29 PM
Wonderful Idea,
here is something you can do.
If you do wish to carry this out you can make a skyblock sort of map?
D3matt #5
Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

And yes its very clunky. Thats why I wrote a program to get a stack of a specific slot of a chest using suck() and drop()
You'd still have to start with something to get you to the trees, unless you started right next to a tree.
Ellie0815 #6
Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

You'd still have to start with something to get you to the trees, unless you started right next to a tree.

of course you start with some energy in the turtle as there wont be any other way to gather wood
kaj #7
Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:01 PM
I love this.
Someone please start a test server where build is false for everyone apart from [computercraft].
SMP?
Ellie0815 #8
Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:23 AM
Hello

Im reviving this post because I started a new round of my AI challenge yesterday and started over from scratch. I saw a fellow forum member had a similar idea http://www.computerc...raft-challenge/ and this inspired me to start over with a new version of CC and several add-ons and the DNS pack.

My current playtime is ~5 hours with programming and I build under the rules stated in the original post: no placing, no breaking, and no picking up or moving items and gamma 500(Im a bodyless entity so why should darkness obstruct my view?).

This is my home "base" it has some small storage and a yet unpowered macerator because I ran out of rubber. My method to gather sticky ressin without a centrifuge or treetab turtle is rather ineffective and time consuming. Until I find a better method to get rubber and be able to finish a simple IC2 setup the vanilla furnace must suffice. Or maybe I will switch to Thermal Expansion for ore processing but this would cost lots of resources and efford to get a BC energy setup started. The analyzer crafty turtle is capable of getting "any number" (1-64) of items of a specified item Id and Meta from the storage which could theoretically be expanded to an infinite amount of inventories. It does also craft items either automatically with a predefined set of recipes or manually.

This is my mine. The mining crafty turtle in the background is my original starting turtle which pinches holes into the stone with a needle program that mines a straight 1x1 hole until the 16th slot contains an item. The sonar turtle next to me SHOULD locate ores to make mining operations more effective but it doesnt work as intended.. Any help on that issue http://www.computerc...dpost__p__59651 is apreciated.

If anybody is interested I can post my functions and programs here but be warned they are not fool proof or fail safe and very "special" as all of this is work in progrss.
bjornir90 #9
Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:18 AM
Looks really cool ! Love the idea so far !