This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
absorr's profile picture

[CC 1.3-1.4.1][MC 1.2.5][WIP] Alchemical Turtles

Started by absorr, 18 September 2012 - 09:15 PM
absorr #1
Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:15 PM

Visit the Official Website!

This mod is a Work In Progress. The only reason I am posting and releasing this early in development is because Minecraft does not work on my computer because my graphics card has not updated to Windows 8. The mod is currently in a private alpha stage. To sign-up to receive the alpha, post a comment bellow.

Alchemical Turtles

Description

This mod makes it possible for turtles to be able to transmutate and be able to use Equivalent Exchange items (e.x. Destruction Catalyst, Philosopher Stone, Divining Rod, etc.). It is basically Equivalent Exchange and turtles put together (because griefing was not fun enough :)/>/> ). It is not just for griefing your friends with a turtle armed with a Destruction Catalyst, it is also for finding diamonds with a Divining Rod, or transmutating picked up items automatically, and more! Most of these features are still in progress and may take a while due to strict schedule and the fact that I can not test it as I go myself.

API Methods

For more info, see the mod website.

alcTurtle.burnItem(ammount)
alcTurtle.transmutate(Item ID, ammount, data)

MORE COMING VERY SOON

Checklist of Progress for v1.0
Complete
In-Progress
Causing Issues

- Create the Alchemical Turtle peripheral upgrade.
- Transmutation (burning items, transmutating, filling/emptying Klein Stars)
- Divining Rod
- Swiftwood's Rending Gate
- Evertide Amulet
- Volcanite Amulet
- Philosopher Stone
- Destruction Catalyst
- Catalytic Lens
- Refuel turtle using Klein Stars (or Body Stone. Haven't decided).
- Withdraw EMC from sources like Collectors and Relays
- Other EE3 Stuff

Planned for Future Versions

- ? ? ? Alchemy Bags/Chests ? ? ?
- Black Hole Band
- Archangel's Smite
- Gem of Eternal Destiny
- Harvest Goddess Band
- Hyperkinetic Lens
- Mercurial Eye
- Void Ring
- Zero Ring
- Talisman of Repair
- Watch of Flowing Time
- Other EE Items

Development Builds

Changelogs for builds, both public and private.
Spoiler#001 - Private - Unstable
  • Attempted to create Alchemical Turtle and recipe
  • Created AlcTurtle.burnItem() and AlcTurtle.transmutate() (neither do anything, placeholders)
#002 - Public - Unknown
  • Attempt #1 at fixing the turtle

What is next to come in chronological order
SpoilerEach of these bullet points will most likely be in its own build
  • Fix Alchemical Turtle
  • Add Burning Items and Check EMC Levels
  • Add Transmutation
  • Ability to use Klein Stars
  • Refuel Turtle Using EMC Levels
  • Fix Bugs; Release Pre-Release 1a
  • Port to EE 3, CC 1.4.2, MC 1.3.2; Release Pre-Release 1b
  • Start on Divining Rod (Maybe a Divining Turtle? Not sure what my approach will be yet)

Follow me on Twitter for updates! [twitter]absorr[/twitter]
immibis #2
Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:20 AM
Interesting idea.
FuzzyPurp #3
Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:33 AM
Looks neat! Where do i sign up? :)/>/>
Sebra #4
Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:12 PM
I want to look at it. :)/>/>
gknova61 #5
Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:40 AM
I got a small server I can test this out on with some friends if it's SMP. It'd be fine too if it was SP only as well.
Holofire #6
Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:11 PM
I'd like to test :P/>/>
matejdro #7
Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:48 PM
Interesting idea, I love it. I always wanted to give turtle divining rod and let it go.

However, there is a small problem: EE2 will most likely not be available for 1.3.2. So either develop this addon for outdated mod and MC version or wait for EE3. But since EE3 will be completely new mod (devs want to make it more fun and less overpowered so they are re-doing it from the ground up), it would be a wise idea to wait and see what from your list will still be doable using EE3.
dan200 #8
Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:14 PM
Moved. As the pinned topic says: "FOR RELEASED PERIPHERALS ONLY"
absorr #9
Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:41 PM
Moved. As the pinned topic says: "FOR RELEASED PERIPHERALS ONLY"
It is technically released. You just have to be the first 15-40 people to comment to get it for now
Cranium #10
Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:18 PM
It is technically released. You just have to be the first 15-40 people to comment to get it for now
That's not how a release works. That describes more of a closed beta.
absorr #11
Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:28 PM
That's not how a release works. That describes more of a closed beta.
Ok you have me there. I agree, it is a closed alpha (at this point it is) and that it is not yet a full release.

While I have everyone's attention, my latest build that I gave to 3 people, people have said that the Alchemical Turtle does not exist. It can not be found in creative or by spawning one in with commands, nor can it be crafted. No errors pop up in Eclipse. Here is my source. What did I do wrong?

Development Build #001 Source:
mod_AlcTurtles.java
TurtleTransTablet.java
TurtleEE.java
Cloudy #12
Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:41 PM
The API is geared towards modders of minecraft - if you don't have experience with that you're going to have trouble, regardless of a tutorial.
absorr #13
Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:02 AM
The API is geared towards modders of minecraft - if you don't have experience with that you're going to have trouble, regardless of a tutorial.
I have made 2 mods before this (see my website), I just have never used the ComputerCraft API. Isn't the point of this forum supposed to be helping people, not criticizing them and calling them newbs?
Cranium #14
Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:05 AM
I don't see that he ever said the word "newb"… He probably saw that you are new to the forums, and most likely(and probably accurately) assumed your level of aptitude with the APIs in question. Although his comment was less than helpful…

Edit: I went to your "website", and saw no way to access the other two mods you created. MC MODS and all of the other header links are not clickable, the homepage is just your twitter feed, and there is a lot of hand-drawn(MS Paint?) images saying "A Revolution is Coming". You should probably update your site to work a little smoother, but I know from experience that creating a new website from scratch is not easy. I do like the main header though, and the selected font for the title.
Since I was unable to find anything linking me to your previously mentioned mods, I can't guage what you do or do not know about making mods, so I'm assuming Cloudy did not know either.
I would mostly suggest an approach that makes your site more "professional-looking". Not sure what theme you are looking for, but so far, nice work. As to the problems you are having on the peripherals, I am completely inexperienced with Java…sooo…..yeah.
Edited on 26 September 2012 - 10:18 PM
absorr #15
Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:08 AM
I don't see that he ever said the word "newb"… He probably saw that you are new to the forums, and most likely(and probably accurately) assumed your level of aptitude with the APIs in question. Although his comment was less than helpful…

Edit: I went to your "website", and saw no way to access the other two mods you created. MC MODS and all of the other header links are not clickable, the homepage is just your twitter feed, and there is a lot of hand-drawn(MS Paint?) images saying "A Revolution is Coming". You should probably update your site to work a little smoother, but I know from experience that creating a new website from scratch is not easy. I do like the main header though, and the selected font for the title.
Since I was unable to find anything linking me to your previously mentioned mods, I can't guage what you do or do not know about making mods, so I'm assuming Cloudy did not know either.
I would mostly suggest an approach that makes your site more "professional-looking". Not sure what theme you are looking for, but so far, nice work. As to the problems you are having on the peripherals, I am completely inexperienced with Java…sooo…..yeah.
They are clickable if you have JavaScript enabled (there is a lot of JavaScript in there), and no I did no make the photos in paint, it was Photoshop. The logo for Absorr Studios I took my to make, seeing that I actually went through the design process for that one. Minecraft Revolution and SimpServ are applications I am making, that is something else. Here are direct links to my other mods
http://absorr.pcriot...moreCrafts.html
http://absorr.pcriot.com/mods/mod_MoreRed.html

EDIT: Thank you, by the way, for being considerate and not criticizing me. Well you did a little about my website, but it was positive constructive criticism and did not feel insulting, and you included some praises too.
Cranium #16
Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:50 AM
Well, seeing as how I accessed the site the first time through my company computer(which has javascript and much more disabled for security), I see why I was not able to use the links. Might I suggest adding the ability(if javascript is not enabled) to use just a regular hyperlink? I was wandering around looking at just garbage without javascript….
Cloudy #17
Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:47 AM
I do apologize if I came off the wrong way - I wasn't criticizing you at all, I was just saying the reason for no tutorials.

The reason I didn't have chance to look at your code was that I am currently using my phone :P/>/> and it was late at night so my brain perhaps wasn't switched on.

When I get on my computer I'll look at your code and give you an example mod that I knocked up a week back and forgot to post.
absorr #18
Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:34 PM
I do apologize if I came off the wrong way - I wasn't criticizing you at all, I was just saying the reason for no tutorials.

The reason I didn't have chance to look at your code was that I am currently using my phone :)/>/> and it was late at night so my brain perhaps wasn't switched on.

When I get on my computer I'll look at your code and give you an example mod that I knocked up a week back and forgot to post.

Ok, well i think you've been at it for a while now, spotted the error in my code yet? It's been a couple days.

EDIT: Not trying to be pushy or anything but I don't want you to forget
Cloudy #19
Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:39 PM
I really haven't had chance to look into it - but I'll try tonight.
absorr #20
Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:13 PM
I really haven't had chance to look into it - but I'll try tonight.
If you could at least post that example, that would be sufficient.
absorr #21
Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:55 AM
I really do not like how I first presented myself on the forums here by making myself look like an idiot way over my head. I don't learn to use APIs that easy, I like templates and examples (interfaces do not count as templates). I love to code things in Java, and sometimes C#. When I am in Minecraft, I love to program in ComputerCraft until I am kicked out of the server for not moving. I know HTML, JavaScript, CSS, PHP, Lua, Java, and I am learning C#.

If you need more to help you understand I have been doing this longer then it may seem, here is my source for my other 2 mods.
https://github.com/absorr/
I understand that it needs a little cleanup in some parts, I was aiming to do that once HP and Intel make my graphics card compatible with Windows 8.

EDIT: I feel that even the fact that I still have "Clueless" over my head means I am not appreciated the way I feel I should be. I am not trying to be boastful, I am trying to correct an opinion on me which I am doing my best to correct. Now the title could be because my account on the forums is fresh, but it would make me feel better to have it set to "Coder" or something. I am trying to be polite, and I do not mean to be pushy when I say that I want my title shifted, for I do not think it a promotion but a correction of opinion, which is what I am looking for. Thank you all for understanding. It is all that I ask for, understanding that I am not the amateur you think I am. I am not a professional either. If you feel like this is not enough and you need something else, I'll take my best shot.

Before I turn this into an essay (which I am very tempted to do), I just want to finish off by saying I am trying. If it is not enough for you, if you think I should give up now, just say so, but I am not taking this lightly. I would like to thank you for just simply reading what I have to say, but also to thank you for giving me a chance.
Cranium #22
Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:24 PM
You forgot /end rant….
Nobody will think anything less of you, just because you have the title "Clueless". There are many forum members out there that have less posts than me, (thus a lesser forum title), and have a much better understanding of coding than I do. If you want to be considered a little better, why not participate on the forums a little more. I like to hang out on Ask a Pro, and help the new people. You will see that I post my own questions quite often as well. Get some more rep here on the forums, and nobody will look at the "Clueless" title, and start looking at your name.
Seriously. We are not bad people here, just a bit high strung when we are asked to help out…(Ask a Pro really is the reason. We answer questions over and over, so some of us get a little snarky… :(/>/>
Either way, welcome to the forums, and I hope to see you some more, since you seem that you would be a great resource for ideas and help for some of the new guys, and even some of the veterans.
Cloudy #23
Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:57 PM
I can't see any issues with your code that jump out on me (except perhaps initing your variables in your mod constructor (should really move that to load()). However, here is a quick test peripheral I made.

https://dl.dropbox.c...7/cloudtest.zip

And I'm not going to change your title without knowing you - the title will change automatically when you get enough posts. But the title has nothing to do with your experience, nor should it be treated as such.
absorr #24
Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:15 AM
I can't see any issues with your code that jump out on me (except perhaps initing your variables in your mod constructor (should really move that to load()). However, here is a quick test peripheral I made.

https://dl.dropbox.c...7/cloudtest.zip

And I'm not going to change your title without knowing you - the title will change automatically when you get enough posts. But the title has nothing to do with your experience, nor should it be treated as such.
Oh, I assumed it was awarded to you. Thank you for clarifying. I am now looking through your example and comparing to my own.
absorr #25
Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:29 AM
I think I found the problem but I have no way of knowing for sure because Minecraft still does not work on my computer. The only way I can ensure that it is working is if someone tries it (NOTE: Built for CC 1.4.1 (MC 1.2.5) due to status of EE3)

Download Client: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39222304/alcTurtle_build002.zip
Equivalent Exchange: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1106178-125-equivalent-exchange-2-v1467/
Other Requirments: Minecraft 1.2.5, ComputerCraft 1.4.1

I would appreciate a screenshot proving you can craft it
absorr #26
Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:24 AM
My computer is finally fixed and I am going to start working more heavily on this now.
ficolas #27
Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:03 AM
- Swiftwood's Rending Gate sure thats the name… swiwolf rending gale
awsmazinggenius #28
Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:27 AM
I'd love to test, please.
EDIT: Translation: I'd love to have divining turtles find diamond, mining turtles fetch the diamond, and meanwhile have destruction catalyst (destruction turtles?) go and do their thing in caves and bases.
Edited on 20 November 2013 - 07:17 PM