This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
fhgui's profile picture

Computer tablet

Started by fhgui, 22 September 2012 - 03:12 PM
fhgui #1
Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:12 PM
I have seen one other post of this same concept, but my idea of how it should be is different. My idea is that you can craft a computer that you can't place down, and of course would be like a tablet that if you right clicked it would open craftOS(current version). That is all well and good like the rest of the ideas but what I would like to see is when you have it in your hotbar it would be active and in the top left corner of your screen you would be able to see the output of the tablet in your hotbar. Then people like direwolf20(yes i'm a fan) with his chest on request system he could just open his tablet type in the stuff he wants and bam the computer comes to him and if set up right even if he moves the tutrtle will keep getting his location and keep moving to him! Another aspect of this concept is that people with good enough lua skills could make things like following chests, using the gps system they could make the computer threw the wireless network "talk" to the tablet and have it always be within 5 blocks of the person or whatever they want. This is just a few of the hundreds of things you could do with a tablet. For the last point/ideas some fun things you could use this for would be make a red power 2 frame machine and have it use the ComputerCraft to fly to you, pick you up and take you places or have it call in a airstrike (like direwolf20's nuke system in the end) just for fun. ;p If you think this is a good idea please comment so dan200 can see how much we want this! have a nice day

-Computer Craft fan
fhgui
chiloxsan #2
Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:55 AM
This is a very good idea although it has been suggested many times. Tablets that run software on the device it self is an addition that will prove very useful for a lot of people. Peripherals like CCPortable just don't cut it when trying to make realistic cellphone networks with multiple transmitters.

To keep it balanced, it will need to have
  • Limited storage (128 kilobytes would be enough)
  • A smaller screen, don't expect to be writing programs on a tablet
  • A way to charge the device, maybe a charging stand block that accepts furnace fuel through a GUI or IC2/RP2 power through cables.
  • Maybe a slightly decreased wireless range
  • Less memory allocated to the Lua VM. This will encourage players to create servers that process data for them rather than having a tablet that is as powerful as a desktop computer.
Nice additions would be:
  • The tablet is always running, whether it's in an inventory or on the ground. The only way to kill a tablet would be through CTRL+T or os.shutdown() on the tablet and a command for server admins (/killcomp computer/tablet/turtle-id?)
  • A visual/audible alarm that can be called when the tablet is in a player's inventory. Something like tablet.beep() or tablet.flash()
The crafting recipe must not differ from ComputerCraft's simple crafting style (so that means no expensive resources) and the recipe must not include a computer, because that will logically mean it has all the functions of a computer.

If executed properly, the tablet would be a HUGE addition to ComputerCraft that might bring many more people to the mod.
Sariaz #3
Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:38 AM
LOVE this idea it would be great to have I'm thinking iPhone in minecraft kinda fun :P/>/> calling up other cpus using irc programs make notes on the go play this fun games people built tell ur auto request system to get stuff for u so its ready when u get there and the list goes on and on and on…
Sebra #4
Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:44 AM
Suggested many times.
To keep it balanced, it will need to have
1. Limited storage (128 kilobytes would be enough)
2. A smaller screen, don't expect to be writing programs on a tablet
3. A way to charge the device, maybe a charging stand block that accepts furnace fuel through a GUI or IC2/RP2 power through cables.
4. Maybe a slightly decreased wireless range
5. Less memory allocated to the Lua VM. This will encourage players to create servers that process data for them rather than having a tablet that is as powerful as a desktop computer.
1,4. May be but not so significant.
2. Definitely.
3. Disagree. RS signaling need no power.
5. Are you want to render video on pda? Most cpu intensive tasks in CC are GPS and crypting. Let them be allowed.
6. Most pda disadvantage is inability to use peripherals, turtle upgrades, even RS wires & bundled cables. Only Wireless modem.
Nice additions would be:
1. The tablet is always running, whether it's in an inventory or on the ground. The only way to kill a tablet would be through CTRL+T or os.shutdown() on the tablet and a command for server admins (/killcomp computer/tablet/turtle-id?)
2. A visual/audible alarm that can be called when the tablet is in a player's inventory. Something like tablet.beep() or tablet.flash()
1. In player hands, belt, may be inventory. Doubt it should work in non-player inventory. Definitely not on ground.
2. Audible yes. Visual by icon change may be.
The crafting recipe must not differ from ComputerCraft's simple crafting style (so that means no expensive resources) and the recipe must not include a computer, because that will logically mean it has all the functions of a computer.
Disagree.
1. Computer made from RS and Glass in a Stone case.
2. Turtle is a Computer with inventory in an Iron case.
3. (I want gold for laptop)
4. PDA should be a Computer with Wireless Modem in Diamond case. Do you know best cell/pda made in sapphire case?
immibis #5
Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:49 AM
I could probably do this, but dan200 wouldn't let me.
Cloudy #6
Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:47 AM
A tablet/PDA is something we want to look into ourselves.
Sebra #7
Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:37 PM
Want you to look into LapTop idea?
immibis #8
Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:06 PM
What's the difference between a tablet, a PDA and a laptop?
Sebra #9
Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:02 PM
Tablet & PDA are just different names IMHO. But Tablet should be hard without keyboard.
Others:
Computer: placeable computer block with normal screen able to use peripherals/bundled cables/RS signals on each of six sides.
Turtle: self moving computer with smaller screen and inventory able to use tools/upgrades/peripherals/bundled cables/RS signals on sides and items from inventory.
Laptop: placeable computer item with smaller screen able to work when opened in hands or placed on solid block/peripheral. Can use bottom peripheral and internal top modem.
PDA: computer item with tiny screen, work in hands and inventory, can use internal modem only.

Need reasons?
Tiin57 #10
Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:32 PM
I am working on CCLaptops, as any future portable computers will not be compatible with 1.3.2.
Cloudy #11
Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:13 PM
I am working on CCLaptops, as any future portable computers will not be compatible with 1.3.2.

You won't be able to do that without using our private API's though.
Tiin57 #12
Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:14 PM
Could you make some more functions in the CC API available? That, or I could modify the open-source API to allow that kind of thing.
Cloudy #13
Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:37 PM
Could you make some more functions in the CC API available? That, or I could modify the open-source API to allow that kind of thing.

Nah, allowing other mod authors to create computers based on our code is not something we want to open up.
Tiin57 #14
Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:15 PM
^_^/>/> Ok. I'll figure something out.
ChunLing #15
Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:25 AM
Wait, I thought that there were plans for the core mode to add a portable, programmable, rednet-capable item that could be used to open up a console and do stuff. Was that wrong or is a notebook something else entirely?
Cloudy #16
Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:28 AM
Wait, I thought that there were plans for the core mode to add a portable, programmable, rednet-capable item that could be used to open up a console and do stuff. Was that wrong or is a notebook something else entirely?

There are. He just wants to make some because we won't be bringing them to 1.3.2.
ChunLing #17
Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:08 AM
Ok, then.
Jake3231 #18
Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:44 PM
I think this a great idea, and needs to be added to the next update.
Cranium #19
Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:50 PM
I think this a great idea, and needs to be added to the next update.
Did you REALLY just reply to a topic that is almost a year old? Even though the PDA's topic is just slightly below this one?