This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
KaoS's profile picture

Squad collab?

Started by KaoS, 25 September 2012 - 01:10 PM
KaoS #1
Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:10 PM
Hi everyone, I am working on a turtle squad that is guided by a leader, I would love to work with others on this as it would help get objectivity on improving the code. I have pretty much worked out the member code (unfortunately I have to use coroutines to effectively listen for input, queue it if busy and still work through the queue simultaneously :P/>/> ) but I think it should work fine. the leader is a little harder to program as he has to constantly work out where to send the turtles to complete the task at hand as well as not accidentally mine out his own squad, I think I should be fine but as before mentioned a second/third brain would be great. PM me if you are interested and I will send you a link, I am not an enormous fan of making uncompleted code public so I will not post it here for now, let me know if you want to join ;)/>/>
KaoS #2
Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:45 AM
ok so far we have 1 fellow conspirator and I have got the code working to a degree, the turtles link up and can accept commands etc, now I need to tech the main tutle to be a leader
Smidge #3
Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:15 AM
I was working on a similar project were there was a leader (wireless mining turtle) and other wireless turtles following like a train. That way once blocks are mined they can be dropped and picked up by the following one until one recognises it and keeps it for storage. However I was failing and I gave up.
: )
KaoS #4
Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:32 AM
this is going to be a little more complicated, there will be various different things the squad can do (you can of course program more at your discretion), they will be able to mine out large areas, perform bombing runs and construct structures at record speed… I need to develop a system to allocate tasks to various turtles now
bryanchriswhite #5
Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:25 AM
Sounds cool! I'm not sure how much help I'll be right away but i'd love to have a look at what you've got give it a go (if you'll have me that is).

I'm pretty flexible with new languages, I currently regularly exercise ruby, coffescript (a JavaScript abstraction), SASS (a CSS abstraction [if you consider that a language]), HAML (an HTML abstraction), bash and gherkin in addition to working within various frameworks constructed with these languages (jQuery, rails, etc.) –anyways the point is, how hard coud lua be?