This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Bp103's profile picture

[1.42] Distance sensors and or sound.

Started by Bp103, 25 September 2012 - 03:27 PM
Bp103 #1
Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:27 PM
I've been thinking about a couple of things I really wish were in computercraft and can be realistically pulled off.

Distance sensor:
My first and most useful suggestion would be to have some kind of distance sensor because the current means of sight are very limited. So I suggest a laser sensor for use with the original sight sensor. (something like this which can see up to 10m+ depending on how strong the laser is.) Attach it to a servo then you have a sweeping sensor which would be very useful for checking out the land.

The command would go something like this.
range.sweep(Side,Value) Value would be 0 to 360 float to set the direction the laser is pointing and would output the direction it is currently pointing.
range.getRange(Side) This would output a number from 0 to the max range also float
(max range being set by the server much like the range of the redstone modems.)

Crafting suggestions:
S = stone, L = redstone Lamp, G = glass, P = piston, N = nothing

fixed:
S,L,G
N,N,N
N,N,N

sweeping:
S,L,G
P,S,P
N,N,N

Sound:
I really don't like the limited capability of the noteblocks and I just want chiptunes… A psg type add-on would be nice, nothing fancy just three square wave channels and a noise channel which would be feed a hz value and a value for volume.

The command would be something like this.
psg.initialize(side) must be initialize like every sound device in existence.
psg.sound(hzValue1, volume1, hzValue2, volume2, hzValue3, volume3, noiseHz, noiseVolume) Volume <= 255

Crafting suggestion:
B = noteblock, S = stone, R = redstone

Psg:
B,B,B
S,R,S
S,S,S

Well, thats all I got…
Hi, I've been lurking for a while.
etopsirhc #2
Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:36 PM
personaly for the long distance sight thing i'd prefer a sonar peripheral that you would call and it would return a 5x5x5(turtle + 2 blocks in every direction ) ,or even slightly larger but i wouldnt go over 7) ,array with a simple id for diffrent general things
blocks = B
liquids = L
mobs = M
player = P
turtles = T

plus this isnt as op as seeing how for somthing is away at nearly any distance
Bp103 #3
Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:01 PM
personaly for the long distance sight thing i'd prefer a sonar peripheral that you would call and it would return a 5x5x5(turtle + 2 blocks in every direction ) ,or even slightly larger but i wouldnt go over 7) ,array with a simple id for diffrent general things
blocks = B
liquids = L
mobs = M
player = P
turtles = T

plus this isnt as op as seeing how for somthing is away at nearly any distance

I believe we may have different idea of operation. The distance sensor is to detect how far away obstacles are whither it is a sheep or a block then output the distance to said obstacles. Not tell you if it is a sheep or a block. As for being able to see how far something is, I should have been more specific about that. When I said "max range" I really meant that to be the max range for the device set by the server (like 10 block for example). Which would curb the op-ness of it.
Noodle #4
Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:21 PM
I don't think it should be something you attach to the turtle, i think the turtle should just be able to scan 32x32 around it. This way it would be easier for computers to communicate info on where a monster is and have a melee turtle kill it!
Thutmose #5
Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:00 AM
Maybe have "rangefinder" thing that can be crafted with a turtle to make a detector turtle? say the model of it gets added to the top of the turtle ( a spinning laser scanner that can detect any direction but down)

having a wireless melee detector turtle would be great for an automatic intruder alert/defense system :P/>/>