This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
ComputerCraftFan11's profile picture

Fighting turtle

Started by ComputerCraftFan11, 04 March 2012 - 11:50 PM
ComputerCraftFan11 #1
Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:50 AM
they need a fighting turtle holding a diamond sword that kills mobs (and can kill eachother for arenas.) I need one of these for the turtle AI I made
passinglurker #2
Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:16 AM
if this is implemented it will probably be way down the road. right now mobs ignore turtles(not to mention turtle have no hp) and turtles have trouble seeing any thing besides blocks. so its kinda hard for them to interact with each other. but its still a good idea we could build some Real Steel style fighting arenas for them :unsure:/>/>

in the mean time you can use turtles to assemble iron golems, deliver tnt (and nukes if you use ic2), and bury places in sand if large scale turtle warfare is what your after.(ok you can't assemble iron golems YET you have to wait for the mod to update to 1.2)
6677 #3
Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:59 PM
ok you can't assemble iron golems YET you have to wait for the mod to update to 1.2
Doesn't stop us from writing code to assemble the golems ready for the mod to update :unsure:/>/>
Zitrone77 #4
Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:21 PM
My idea:
-Turtles can hold diffrent items (flint and steel, swords etc..)
-The User can add a heart to the turtle.(Makes the turtle having HP and stuff)

I KNOW that's hard to code! But i mean, this is a suggestions topic..
Liraal #5
Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:02 PM
But i see that as simply impossible to code. Right now a turtle (while not moving) is a block. This is good for overall behavior and integration with other mods. If you make turtle an entity (for it to have HP and be detected by mobs) it can no longer connect to pipes or be used as steady element.
passinglurker #6
Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:56 PM
it would be probably be easier to make a separate programmable mob than rig up a turtle to fight
Bard #7
Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:06 PM
Even as it is now, if it were able to "use" items in a similar way as a RP2 deployer block can it could be somehow used in a fighting/guard capacity (shooting with EE items for example, or a bow, or some other weapon mod), but being almost invulnerable and not detectable from mobs it wouldn't be really fun. (it'd still be awesome)

The easiest way I guess it's to code another mob that IS an entity, like Clueless suggest.
It wouldn't be able to connect to pipes or stuff like that but would be a nice fighting/item-using bot.

On a side note, I'd like to see in the future "customizable" turtles/mobs tho, with different components enabling different mode of movements, speeds, (health and armor for the entity one), battery autonomy or whatnot.
Turtles are a great idea and have a really awesome potential in them and I'll gladly welcome anything that builds on it!
Liraal #8
Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:51 PM
Well, but if you do code it as an entity the way e.g. boats are coded (RP deployer is not a good example, it creates a false player for it to do all the things) there are new issues, 'cause entities are - mostly - pushable. Taking that into account, you'd have to invent a whole new system for moving them, because turn 90 degrees right would no longer align it perfectly, so new interface'd have to be added. It'd be a nice idea though, something that might be coded as a peripheral when 1.31 comes out.
Bard #9
Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:00 PM
Well, but if you do code it as an entity the way e.g. boats are coded (RP deployer is not a good example, it creates a false player for it to do all the things) there are new issues, 'cause entities are - mostly - pushable. Taking that into account, you'd have to invent a whole new system for moving them, because turn 90 degrees right would no longer align it perfectly, so new interface'd have to be added. It'd be a nice idea though, something that might be coded as a peripheral when 1.31 comes out.

I didn't think about that :
I was also thinking about the Turrets from turret-mod that also move, but now that I think about it, those just follow the player or move around randomly so it doesn't really count.
Oh well, let's just hope someone someday will want and take the time to code it it, be it as an addon or in the mod itself :unsure:/>/>
passinglurker #10
Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:39 PM
bard when referring to me my name is passinglurker not clueless (that is a forum rank)

ok so basically the ai for a programmable mob would be to complex for the average user to implement to make it competitive with things like iron golems am I right?

oh well you could just rig up a way for turtles to detect mobs and players(its possible even in 1.3) and just sand them or light some tnt
Bard #11
Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:41 PM
I feel like an idiot, it was there, over the pic and I supposed it was the name, I only just noticed the names in the blue line ;D
Sorry for that man.
passinglurker #12
Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:45 PM
its cool