This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Kingdaro's profile picture

Too Many OSes and Security Systems?

Started by Kingdaro, 05 October 2012 - 12:52 PM
Kingdaro #1
Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:52 PM
Is it just me that feels that the programs forum has an overabundance of OSes and password lock/security system programs?
Sammich Lord #2
Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:14 PM
Well there is. Most are made by noobs. But CC has become like Linux where you can make or choose from a variety of programs depending on your needs.
Right now the best OS I can think of for CC is SOS it has everything somebody needs. But also CommuteOS is in dev and hopefully getting a release soon.
So yes there is too many and there are pros and cons from it.
PonyKuu #3
Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:39 PM
Well, AFAIR the very first demo of CC was a doorlock. So, there are a lot of password programs…
I think there are also tons of mining scripts, since it is an obvious idea for a turtle. Bunkers, 9x9 houses, farms - also very common…
Kingdaro #4
Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:40 PM
Turtle programs are an exception, yes.
Doyle3694 #5
Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:17 PM
Maybe because password programs are simple and easy? "When you're in love you want to share it with the rest of the world"
What's even wrong with password programs?
robhol #6
Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:26 PM
What's wrong is there's 59 million of them, and very few of them actually do any good. Come on, anyone can make one in 2 minutes flat.
Doyle3694 #7
Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:37 PM
depends. I think most of us spent atleast 1 hour trying to make their first password program, looking up functions etc.
It's like asking why you most often learn + first in math.
Kingdaro #8
Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:57 PM
depends. I think most of us spent atleast 1 hour trying to make their first password program, looking up functions etc.
It's like asking why you most often learn + first in math.
This example isn't really relevant, since everyone has to actually learn how lua works before making a program; there's no way around that. The programs itself are what I'm referring to, the products of said learning.

A correction to your analogy would be saying after people learning addition, everyone would be coming up with E=MC^2 and we wouldn't go anywhere beyond that.

Maybe because password programs are simple and easy? "When you're in love you want to share it with the rest of the world"
What's even wrong with password programs?
The fact that they are simple and easy is one of the problems I have with them. There's a tutorial on the wiki - anyone could make them for themselves. Save for the people expanding upon the simple concept, though that's still too many people building on the same concept.
Cranium #9
Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:25 PM
I think that it's ok for those programs to pop up here and there. I started out making a door lock,(even though I would just /home back into my house :(/>/>) and now I'm making full fledged programs. I say for the early scipters, it's ok for them to post something they are proud of. As far as the OSes? Meh… Don't use them, since I am always wiping computers anyway.
Kingdaro #10
Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:40 PM
I think that it's ok for those programs to pop up here and there. I started out making a door lock,(even though I would just /home back into my house :(/>/>) and now I'm making full fledged programs. I say for the early scipters, it's ok for them to post something they are proud of. As far as the OSes? Meh… Don't use them, since I am always wiping computers anyway.
It does make sense to post something you're really proud of, but I've always been told to never post my "first script" or my "first addon", or my first anything for that matter, because it'll usually never compare in quality to many other works that already exist, and more than likely I'd be reposting a script from a tutorial.

And yeah, I have the same policy on OSes. Don't really use 'em.
PonyKuu #11
Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:46 PM
The issue with any password program is that it is useless… Really, they don't protect from anything - you can destroy the door, or just power it with a redstone torch, or exterminate the whole house, and that program still will say "Wrong password!" like a lone gate in the middle of desert…
Doyle3694 #12
Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:57 PM
put a redstone torch next to the door? someone is dumb enough to don't reverse the redstone signals? and oh, ever hear of forcefields? :(/>/>

EDIT: I know, most password programs don't have reverse redstone signals, but for everyone redstone experienced(like me) that is your first thought
Kingdaro #13
Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:23 PM
put a redstone torch next to the door? someone is dumb enough to don't reverse the redstone signals? and oh, ever hear of forcefields? :(/>/>

EDIT: I know, most password programs don't have reverse redstone signals, but for everyone redstone experienced(like me) that is your first thought
As someone said before, you could still just destroy the door, and you can't exactly make a piston door out of bedrock or obsidian, because pistons can't push them. Any regular entrance is breakable.
PonyKuu #14
Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:26 PM
Yeah, but one still can nuke your house… Forcefields are… different story.
OK, I should say that: MOST of the password locks are useless. But the only useful scenario - is the forcefield or some kind of protected blocks, which cannot be broken by any person but owner…
KaoS #15
Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:40 PM
and behold the glory of RP2. use frames to make a obsidian door move. But I actually agree with you there. there are a lot of them and they can get in the way. I just ignore them unless they sound really interesting… I have tried making an OS before and got over it: so much trouble to save so little effort. all in all you're right but nothing can be donw as these forums are for the masses learning Lua, if they want to learn door locks that's up to them (rolls eyes)
PonyKuu #16
Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:52 PM
Yeah, good lock program might be interesting, but not standard "if password == "Notch" then redstone.setOutput("right", true)"
But I think a lot of password programs - is not a big issue anyways…
PixelToast #17
Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:00 PM
i dont use a custom OS, they are all just too unsecure, you can easily embed code into it and the user wont know, just infecting a single install disc and you have control over like 30% of all computers in less than a week
billysback #18
Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:10 PM
The first program I made was a Game API, followed by an Email system followed by a program which lets you have multiple scripts under one program, Either I'm an odd one out or plenty of people can actually manage unique(ish) learning programs, in fact doing something that not too many people have done before is (in my opinion) a great way to start, as you are force to learn more of the language due to bumps in the code and due to the fact that there arn't a thousand different code snippets you could directly copy which do the exact same thing…
billysback #19
Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:45 PM
I believe my subpart is "never-done-before" style, at least for CC, as I haven't seen nor heard or anything like it in existance, now I'm making a CC animator with a animator made with Java to go with it (I've finished the java bit), hopefully this is the beginning of my Lua snowball (Java already snowballed for me :D/>/>)
billysback #20
Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:20 AM
I can't find a tutorial on making OS's though, So I don't really know where to start…
That's what confuses me about this new "Too Mane OSs" business…
1v2 #21
Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:16 AM
Haha, daniel, i see you're still active around here?
KaoS #22
Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:43 AM
*sigh* there are too many Daniels out there. CCs author is Dan200, my name is Daniel… there were 3 other Daniels in my grade alone back in school. which user are you referring to please
Cloudy #23
Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:05 PM
Lol, back when I first started on CC, CC wasn't very popular. :3 but I watched it grow over time and it eventually became VERY popular. My first program was an irc program, it was horrid xD but from there I decided to make a login system, and from there I made an Operating System called TomoyoOS. Eventually I moved to exploitation and hacking of servers… I had lots of fun with that but around one month ago, it got insanely out of hand with a virus I made and after I got done with that I decided to quick making viruses. Before that I made an operating system called SynthOS about 2 months before that… then I quick that project and went into a better one… SOS. Shortly after that was released, I started on CommuteOS. And shortly after that began I started making plans for a revolutionary "Never done before by anyone in the world" kind of project that I'm keeping secret for now. :3 thats how I ended up here, my life is great because of CC and without it, I'd probably still suck at programming! Think of the Operating Systems that are being made as Snowballs, you start really small, but the more you keep rolling, the better you become at programming and the faster it goes, eventually it'll get really really big and grow really quickly! That, is how CC changed my life, I started with a small snowball (TomoyoOS) and slowly got better and better, switched OSs and eventually, here I am… managing 2 Operating Systems and working on a revolutionary "Never done before by anyone in the world" kind of project!

This is why I believe its best to start out with an Operating System. And go from there.
*Edit: For the sake of keeping my warn down and keep you guys from bumping a 7 month old thread, I've removed the link.

Poke me on IRC to get your warn lowered because I keep forgetting :P/>/>
ElvishJerricco #24
Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:12 PM
The problem is that people aren't actually making operating systems. An operating system isn't just something that puts a login screen over craftOS. A real OS makes the computer fundamentally different than CraftOS. It provides a different paradigm of functionality.