This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Cozzimoto's profile picture

Modem Upgrades?

Started by Cozzimoto, 10 October 2012 - 02:51 PM
Cozzimoto #1
Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:51 PM
i looked around on several pages and couldn't find anything like this.

What if we could implement an upgrade for a modem
like the default GPS can go at 384 at max height and instead of having a config for the limit it can go why dont we add two more recipes that will upgrade the console to a better GPS server with an increased range on it.
like modem MK1, MK2, MK3, and they are all calculated in a formula to give more balance in the game without having to deal with those pesty config files.

For those who want gps reach everywhere in thier world, just have them disable it in the config, because i think 9/10 people who want their Rednet range increased to 10,000 blocks knows how and where to find the config files, but for people like me who want to enjoy the gAme and want better stuff, i think making upgrades for a GPS computer would be cool, or just a computer period

give me your honest opinion in this suggestion please!!
Sebra #2
Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:50 PM
Half joke:
Use additional modems to improve signal. More modems - more range. For Computers only of course.
Cozzimoto #3
Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:58 PM
this was an idea that literally popped in my head and i just want to saee what others think about it, thanks for your input! =)
JJRcop #4
Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:33 AM
The GPS system right now is not even a real functionality of ComputerCraft.
There is no GPS functionality built anywhere in ComputerCraft, there is a gps preset program, but that works off of triangulation.
Cozzimoto #5
Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:08 AM
that is how real world GPS works, through triangulation so i figured that would work just fine as is in computercraft.

i still want to have a feel for balance and have a greater distance with GPS servers either with an upgrade item or the cost of more power consumption maybe, idk its just a spur idea and maybe people will like it, if not computercraft is still awesome lol =)
immibis #6
Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:44 AM
Trilateration*
Orwell #7
Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:26 AM
that is how real world GPS works, through triangulation so i figured that would work just fine as is in computercraft.

i still want to have a feel for balance and have a greater distance with GPS servers either with an upgrade item or the cost of more power consumption maybe, idk its just a spur idea and maybe people will like it, if not computercraft is still awesome lol =)

You know that the gps program purely works on rednet, right? So what you want is actually a modem upgrade rather than a 'gps upgrade'. :)/>/>
Cozzimoto #8
Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:27 AM
yea i guess thats a really good way to put it then since the modem is the one sending the signal out not the program :)/>/>
Salaveneus #9
Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:34 AM
I like the idea of a modem upgrade, makes it so those who believe touching the config files is a sin punishable by death, have an option to extend their modems without building switches/stations.
willhoot #10
Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:39 PM
or another idea is a rednet repeater. which will connect any rednet consoles with in its range.
ex: if you had a sender going to a receiver 500 blocks away instead you put a repeater half way inbetween and ]when you put in the receiver id and its out of range it would check for repeaters and the repeater could automatically route to the correct receiver ids if they are in its range.
they would kind of act like communications sats (I think that would keep things balanced and realistic)
or if auto routing is too hard to program have a command for sending to the repeater and then go to the reciver (it would have two receiver ids one for the repeater and one for the receiver.
PixelToast #11
Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:03 PM
or another idea is a rednet repeater. which will connect any rednet consoles with in its range.
ex: if you had a sender going to a receiver 500 blocks away instead you put a repeater half way inbetween and ]when you put in the receiver id and its out of range it would check for repeaters and the repeater could automatically route to the correct receiver ids if they are in its range.
they would kind of act like communications sats (I think that would keep things balanced and realistic)
or if auto routing is too hard to program have a command for sending to the repeater and then go to the reciver (it would have two receiver ids one for the repeater and one for the receiver.
that would ruin the fun of making your own network hosts D:
willhoot #12
Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:07 PM
that would ruin the fun of making your own network hosts D:
well I know how you could do that for a sender to just one computer but can you really make a proper router where it can connect any one computer to any other? if so post a copy of the code (or a link to it) as I would love to see how its done.
ChunLing #13
Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:44 PM
Permission to post code detected!