This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
J0P5's profile picture

[1.4] add right click item

Started by J0P5, 07 March 2012 - 10:44 AM
J0P5 #1
Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:44 AM
This may have been suggested before, but I couldn't find it, sorry if it has been posted.

I think it would be cool if turtles could use items in their inventory like how a player would right click with them.

For example (IC2):
You give the turtle a mining laser, you let it 'right-click' the mining laser, making it act like a player using a mining laser.

edit
also back to basic vanilla, it would mean turtles can pick up water and lava.
If possible it'd be cool if they could use an EU-reader (IC2), I mean that would be amazing.
Sebra #2
Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:49 AM
Eu reader is overkill, because it send text to chat lines.
Ability to activate selected items from inventory like RP2 Deployer do would be great.
It would be good even if only empty activate added (to open/close doors, switch levers and buttons).
But best would be ability to activate and use all MC objects. Imagine turtle digging up materials, melting it in furnace, constructing other turtle on table, programming it using disk drive - starting new CCivilization :mellow:/>/>
Liraal #3
Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:07 PM
I'd say that it's not good to allow turtle to use a furnace. Why not make a furnace turtle instead? Like a mobile furnace? It can even consume fuel.
Sebra #4
Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:14 PM
Why not to allow? Substitute player efforts to move items in/out by efforts to write program to turtle.
Furnace is just an example. Crafting table is more interesting. And chests…
Liraal #5
Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:18 PM
But if turtle would become a programmable player, your resources/abilities would be impossible to imagine/limit. It'd spoil SMP gameplay, and that's not a bit but really much. If a basic turtle can do all these things, why bother with complex (and expensive) machinery? I'd say that allowing the BASIC turtle these things would be an overkill.
Sebra #6
Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:31 PM
But if turtle would become a programmable player, your resources/abilities would be impossible to imagine/limit.
Limited by imagination mostly.
It'd spoil SMP gameplay, and that's not a bit but really much.
Just disabling option in config solve this problem.
If a basic turtle can do all these things, why bother with complex (and expensive) machinery?
If you can do it yourself, why bother with complex (and bug prone) programming?
I'd say that allowing the BASIC turtle these things would be an overkill.
Manipulator module/upgrade?
Bard #7
Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:26 PM
I'm with Liraal on this one, I do love automation (running IC2, RP2, BC3, Railcraft and CC) and I'm not against unlimited/renewable resources (that's why I love Forestry and EE/Thaumcraft), but it doesn't have to come cheap.
And in this case I mean both the time spent programming and the amount of resources you need before first starting to do that.

It's a nice idea (in my opinion it's actually an awesome idea and a must for the mod), but I wouldn't want the "normal" turtle to be able to do that. Modules/Upgradees/Advanced Turtles/Specialized ones, whatever… would be better. (As I think I already stated almost in every topic I saw ;D )